Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Winter roadie jacket?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

My old one (Rapha Pro-team) has ceased to be windproof, so I need a replacement.

I’m looking for something with a windproof front and sleeves, breathable back, and ideally moderate levels of water resistant – light showers, mist/fog/in the clouds kind of thing. Slim fit (although doesn’t need to be spray on) – I’m 5’10″/36″ chest, 30″ waist, rear pockets. Ideally some kind of venting (pit zips or similar). Brightish colour (but NOT hiviz yellow) preferred. Budget ideally around £100, but could stretch to £150 if absolutely necessary – would need to last a LONG time though!

A Castelli Perfetto would be, erm, perfetto, but I’m not paying £200 for a jacket (my local Evans had some in for 1/2 that, but only in black in my size), I have an Endura Windchill for MTBing in which is the right kind of thing, but too baggy a fit – been looking at the Endura Pro SL Thermal Windproof (no vents) and the Pro SL HC Windproof (what’s the difference?) or a Gore C5 Infinium Thermo, but I can’t try any of these on.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

bluebird
    Free Member

but I’m not paying £200 for a jacket

Says the man who has a Rapha pro-team jacket 🙂

Sarcasm aside, depending on what size/colour you’re after there’s usually a deal going somewhere on a Perfetto. They are great jackets.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I missed out on a Gore one a couple of days back 1/2 price at £80.

I keep checking there sale…

karnali
    Free Member

I’ve got a gore one lined with grid fleece, very warm, last few inches of the cuffs are unlined which does get some venting. No other vents though, if it had it would be perfect. No idea which model and doesn’t say inside. The endura primaloft 2 jacket gets good reviews and with apparently excellent temp regulation due to side panels.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

but I’m not paying £200 for a jacket

Says the man who has a Rapha pro-team jacket 🙂

Does anybody actually pay full price for Rapha gear?? And it only lasted 5 years, which I’m a bit unimpressed with – its the first bit of Rapha kit I’ve owned that’s worn out.

kilo

I have a Galibier Mistral, quite good winter jacket. They do a warmer version but I think it may be out is stock atm.

IHN

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Tornado-Windproof-Road-Cycling-Jacket-p/pol01-5498-p.htm

My usual plug for Polaris – no nonsense, well made, well priced

brads
    Free Member

Mavic do some nice stuff as well. My winter jacket is lovely.
    I use Rapha pro team most of the time though, and Perfetto.

ransos
    Free Member

My Endura FS260 is ok, has a windproof front but not the sleeves which I find quite annoying.

mrb123
    Free Member

Have a look at Lusso.

endoverend

I have a Perfetto light sleeveless thing, It’s not really warm enough for proper Grim up North TM conditions (a full Perfetto is a 25% heavier fabric but still more a shoulder season jacket than towards freezing) – and the tight pro fit makes it hard to layer up underneath… A better winter jacket from the Castelli range IMO is the Mortirolo, it’s warm, breathable back, has pockets. It’s sized to be more forgiving which is unusual for Castelli (still go up 1-2 sizes), sensible bright colours and also the new Prologo jacket is essentially the same but bright blocky retro design. They are expensive, so you know it’s good, but if they come on the CR Black Friday/ Xmas sales list then that would be my choice…

benman
    Free Member

Just get a Perfetto, its what the other brands are trying to imitate. They usually come up in the sale, paid £100-120 for all of mine. Even better if its available in black :p

Don’t get a Galibier Mistral. I wear one for commuting, and its okay but not a patch on my Perfetto.

13thfloormonk

Stolen Goat Orkaan short sleeve combined with your choice of arm warmers? Windproof arms for drier days, Orkaan arms for wetter days?

Ultimate versatility and Perfetto performance on the cheap.

Merak
    13thfloormonk

Oh and I’ve checked, Orkaan just loose enough to go over a normal jersey if you want.

slowoldman

I haven’t paid full price for any of my Castelli kit. I have long and short sleeve Perfettos and a vest which I sometimes wear over a long sleeve Perfetto if I want even more wind protection. Then a lightweight rain jacket in the pocket to go over the top when that is needed (a Galibier in my case).

didnthurt

7mesh Synergy, might even find one in the sale.

john_l
    Free Member

Morvelo Fuse ticks all of those boxes I think? Definitely my go-to winter jacket.

aP
    Free Member

CHPTR3 have a sale on at the moment, the Rockr jacket is cut for a non professional body shape and works well enough for me.

Ben_H

With similar requirements, I just bought a Gore C3 Infinium Thermo jacket in blue.

There’s an 8/10 road.cc review and I’d concur with its finding that it’s really good other than being a tad warm at >10degC temperatures (that may also be because I’ve used a summer lycra top as a base layer rather than a proper one).

Looked at Rapha alternatives and almost bought a half price Shimano one (via Freewheel) thought it looked a bit more insulated than I needed.

BadlyWiredDog

I like the look / idea of the DHB Aeron Lab All Winter Polartec Jacket, despite the price. I have a Gabba, but I wouldn’t class it as a ‘winter jacket’, the DHB thing seems to have a part Polartec Alpha lining – Alpha’s brilliant stuff, warm, but dries super fast, light etc. I’ve got one of their Alpha gilets and wear it loads often layered under a waterproof or windproof jacket.

avdave2

I love my Lusso Aqua Repel for winter.

iainc

Endura Pro SL is my latest addition and very good it is too. retails at £130

Superficial
    Free Member

I have a Perfetto light sleeveless thing, It’s not really warm enough for proper Grim up North TM conditions (a full Perfetto is a 25% heavier fabric but still more a shoulder season jacket than towards freezing) – and the tight pro fit makes it hard to layer up underneath…

This is very true. I love my Perfetto but it’s definitely not an all-weather jersey. If it’s VERY cold or properly raining they’re not the answer. If the weather is that bad, though, I’m not going out on a road ride. MTB maybe.

It’s a great bit of kit, but maybe not the answer to OP’s question.

ebikegum

Castelli Alpha Jacket fan here. Would need to pick one up in a sale most probs. Go for the Jacket and not the Jersey as it warmer and more forgiving in its fit!

w00dster

I must be one of the few people who don’t get on with a gabba or perfecto.
    I’ve got two pro team jackets, one of the early ones from about 2010/2011 and one from about 2018. The older one is still one of my favourite bits of kit, warmer than the newer version.
    I tend not to wear Castillo, mainly because on a group ride just about everyone will be wearing that brand at this time of year. I’ve moved away from Rapha as well, again mainly because of how popular it is.
    Isadore is my now go to brand. Well worth a look. I have quite a few bits of their kit, as it’s not yet properly cold where I am I’m in a jersey and gilet. I have the sector jacket and it’s too warm at the moment.
    The below is my current fave combination. If it’s about 8 degrees and possibly damp I’d forego the gilet and take a race cape.

https://isadore.com/long-sleeve-shield-jersey-midnight-navy-2-0

https://isadore.com/merino-membrane-softshell-vest-2-0

StuF

Have a look at Stolen Goat, their CC winter jacket is wind/water proof and very warm (usually just a short sleeve underneath). They have lighter weight jackets / jerseys but I’ve not used them yet.

footflaps

Perfetto for winter rides above 5C then switch over to the Alpha RoS when it’s colder.

A cheaper option is the Rapha Core Winter Jacket, I wore one for most of last winter, not as good as a Perfetto, but half the price…

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens-core-winter-jacket/product/CWK01XXRED

razorrazoo

It’s probably not insulated enough and no rear pockets as lightweight but I love my Rapha Pro Team Lightweight Wind Jacket.  RRP £110, I picked one up at around £66 last year.

I get hot pretty quickly so this jacket is ideal for me to layer up as it packs down to pocket size.  Rear is mesh so vents well and the front and arms are windproof and pretty shower resistant too (I’m on the lookout for something more water resistant, but this has done a pretty valiant job in the occasional autumn showers).

dovebiker

Depends on what you mean by winter? I have a Gabba convertible and an Alpha ROS Light as well as some older Castelli stuff but they’re windstopper without insulation, so only 3 season IMO. If you want genuine winter warmth, go for something with Polartec Alpha insulation – I’ve got a Gore Shakedry Insulated – you just need to select your base layer to suit how much extra warmth you want.

plop-pants
    Free Member

After my ancient Assos winter jacket finally gave up i splashed out on an Alpha Ros and Alpha Ros Light. Thanks to a Castelli stava challenge I got 25% off. Both jackets are great! The Ros Light fits well with the OP’s requirements. I reckon it would be warm down to 5 degrees on the bike but wouldnt keep you warm if you stop for too long in that temperature. The Non light version is wind proof front and back and more insulated. I did try it out in 10 degrees yesterday and thought the jacket would be too warm but it was fine. It kept me warm when sitting out with my coffee at the cafe too.

GHill

dhb aeron All Winter softshell. It’s from Wiggle so send it back if you don’t like it.

four
    Free Member

I lost a bit of timber and bought a Perfetto (full price) a month or so ago – it is bloody brilliant and well worth the dough IMO.

I have an Endura Windchill jacket which is warmer but not water resistant – decent jacket though IMO.

I’ve got a Rapha Classic Winter Jacket – not worth the £260 IMO. (It’s XL and up for sale as too big for me if anyone’s interested – size XL).

I had a Rapha Pro Team and it’s not as good as the Perfetto for me.

dpfr

Another fan of Stolen Goat Climb & Conquer here. Just needs a short sleeved baselayer for me at 5 or 6 degrees

tlr

Castelli Transition Jacket. Windproof front and arms, breathable back, lightly brushed inner. Really, really good for UK winter riding.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member
    doom_mountain

I’m also looking at a Perfetto (or similar) to replace an old Gore softshell.

I came across this in my searching

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-fiandre-light-norain-jacket

Anybody tried the Sportful? My understanding is Castelli and Sportful are sister brands and the Fiandre uses the same fabrics as the Perfetto, bit cheaper though. I like the orange on the Sportful… 😎

Sandwich

Another happy Stolen Goat C&C user here. Toasty trips in foul weather.

footflaps

I would just get a Perfetto, or order both from Wiggle and just send back one / both?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Winter roadie jacket?’ is closed to new replies.