Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Winter Road bike
  • faz083
    Free Member

Looking to purchase a winter road bike now the weather is bound to turn. Got a 2012 tarmac elite for summer, want something with similar feel , but frame must be aluminium. Was going to look on eBay and here for an Allez or similar, but could just spend a bit more (up to £700?) and grab a new one from canyon or ribble…? Not too worried about looks, simple would be good, for £700 I would like almost full 105, for less, well, we’ll see.

this has jumped out so far: http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2502
    Only thing is lack of stock (severely!)

the tarmac is a 56 so…

cheers

m1kea
    Free Member

Riding in Winter?

As in riding when it’s damp / drizzly / wet / torrential / biblical?

If yes to any of the above, something with mudguard eyes for well, mudguards.

Plenty of steel frames out there

montylikesbeer

Try a ribble winter trainer , mine is a minter

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Lifer
    Free Member
    rob-jackson
    Free Member

how do those “float”

wheelie

I do a 30 mile round trip commute and use the Pearson Touche fixed. it is perfect for commuting, with mudguard eyes etc. Surprisingly comfortable too!

kevin1911

I’ll second the Ribble Winter Bike. They’ve gone up in price a fair bit the last few years, but still represent fantastic value for money. Mine has been entirely solid and dependable.

clunker

Get a cyclocross bike

faz083
    Free Member

mmm I like the Ribble one but it’s sora on it, compared to that lovely Canyon with full 105 (including chainset) – it just doesn’t seem right! But if you lot say they’re good….

uponthedowns
    Free Member

As above whatever you get make sure it can take full guards

Cotters
    Free Member

I went for a genesis croix de fer in the sales and am v happy. It’s steel but not sure why this is a problem. Can fit mudguards etc but you have to bend them around the disc brakes apparently.

jonba
    Free Member

I’d also say a CX bike. Slicks for the road but proper tyres will Widen your riding options. Keep it interesting. Plenty come with mudguard mounts. If you are group riding then full guards is the only polite thing to do!

If you want a proper roadie look at merlin.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I built up a winter bike for under £700..

Spotty dog in the crappy weather IMHO.

I do like the lookof the Kenisis frames mind..

But for under £100 for the F + F you can’t go wrong.

faz083
    Free Member

thanks for the input, will research further.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

My winter bike

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Have a Boardman Hybrid with drop bars which doubles as a CX bike. Discs are great for winter riding. Bought before they did disc specific CX bikes so would recommend one of them. Room for guards and fatter tyres. Take them off and stick some nobbly tyres on and you can take to the hills!

Regards

waller
    Free Member

I have a ribble as well. Got my frame on the clearance section which might be worth a look if they have anything in your size. Specced mine with Fulcrum 5 wheels and full Campag Centuar for under £600. Fair bit of hunting around for bargains mind but it’s all new kit.

It’s so good it’s become my main road bike. Just seem to get on with it really well. I think the frame and forks were about £68 as its the older smaller headset type. Not that I’m bothered…..

waller
    Free Member

Mind you that Canyon does look bloody good 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Giant Defy also worth a look in. They come with 25c tyres as standard, and clearance for proper mudguards and rack mounts.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Do you guys off road in the winter also?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yes…

Singlespeed & now Fatbike… :mrgreen:

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Winter Road bike’ is closed to new replies.