Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Winter riding xc. What do people wear to keep dry
  • swainy90
    Free Member

Currently just wear poc shorts and sealskin socks but find My legs are black with mud and getting soaked. Just wondering what you guys where. Do you wear a bib or other alternatives

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ll always wear lycra bibs but during winter will have a pair of baggies as “overtrousers” which protect the thighs. Depending on what’s in the wash it’s either bib longs or use leg warmers with the bib shorts.

iainc

bibs under baggies always. Summer – bib shorts, Spring and Autumn – bib 3/4’s, Winter – bib longs.

Decent wool socks, Winter boots

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’ve recently got a set of these:
    https://www.evanscycles.com/endura-thermolite-tights-00123216
    Warm, and the teflon coating is awesome, any wet sloppy mud beads, drys and falls off.

swainy90
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Any recommendation on bibs? Also are they waterproof cuz atm I’m getting soaked or you buy a pair of waterproof baggies to go over the bib?

swainy90
    Free Member

Fifeandy already looked at them and thought there great but I need some padding tbh. Doing roughly 15 miles rides so get a bit achey down below

iainc

waterproof baggies over dhb winter bibs here. Tenn ones are cheap and work well :

here

Endura MT500 Spray baggies are my favourites as nice and light and shed water well

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’ve started wearing walking trousers which are stretchy but have narrow lower legs

Makes a big difference

matt_outandabout

Use the hose to clean legs off before you go in house.

Garry_Lager

Bibs and leg warmers as standard. Will get the waterproof shorts over the top if it’s filthy but I try to avoid this as it’s less comfy for me. e.g. if I take the transmitter out for tonight’s ride it will just be bibs because the bike has a good set of mudhuggers on. If I take the anthem then I’ll wear shorts because I don’t currently have a decent 29er mudguard.
    Overshoes work well for keeping the chill off the feet, but they get shredded mountain biking. I have some endura ones atm that lasted about 2 rides before the zips and base went.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Kneehigh sealskinz, slightly overlapping minimalist kneepads, Bib shorts and madison addicts over the top. Bridgedale merino socks below sealskinz and whatever of the 3 pairs of Five tens I grab.

swainy90
    Free Member
    jobro
    Free Member

bibs under baggies always. Summer – bib shorts, Spring and Autumn – bib 3/4’s, Winter – bib longs.

This, exactly.

To expand a bit. Waterproof baggies for winter and sometimes waterproof socks and in summer I’m using Specialized bib shorts with cargo pockets in the back instead of Camelbak.

swainy90
    Free Member

Does everyone go for padded bibs then to protect your baggage? Also is it worth getting a full length bib and a short bib for summer? Also any recommendation on bibs don’t want to spend a fortune though

jekkyl

keep dry?

core

Long (padded) bibs under baggies, though want some waterproof shorts as I really dislike a soggy arse pad.

Normal SPD shoes with endura neoprene overshoes, merino socks.

jobro
    Free Member

Does everyone go for padded bibs then to protect your baggage? Also is it worth getting a full length bib and a short bib for summer

Yes and yes. Legwarmers can extend the seasonal use of bib shorts perhaps. I use 3/4 for a lot of the year.

Dhb and Decathlon seem to get good reviews. I’m an Endura user. Not sure what you consider expensive.

swainy90
    Free Member

Don’t want to spend over £100 on a bib so under £100

fifeandy
    Free Member

Fifeandy already looked at them and thought there great but I need some padding tbh. Doing roughly 15 miles rides so get a bit achey down below

They do a padded version of the thermolites too 🙂
    https://www.evanscycles.com/endura-thermolite-padded-tights-EV182218

swainy90
    Free Member

They look ace!! Do they slide down at all?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve been using Castelli Nanoflex + bib longs this winter and they hold out against constant exposure to water for a good couple of hours, after that it’s a bit of a soggy bum experience, but it’s not too bad.

Coupled with Northwave Fahrenheit GTX boots and merino socks all is good.

deadkenny
    Free Member

swainy90 – Member 
    Does everyone go for padded bibs then to protect your baggage? Also is it worth getting a full length bib and a short bib for summer? Also any recommendation on bibs don’t want to spend a fortune though

No, no and no.

I don’t do bibs. Mid length baggy shorts, long top, no mud guards, and just hell with it. Last night’s sloppy mudfest xc round country and urban lanes, paths and singletrack was a right laugh. Sloppy as hell, covered in mud and that just gets you to the point of stop pussyfooting around the mud and just go for it. Far more fun and quickly learn to handle the drifting and how to power through the mud to avoid getting stuck.

😀

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Running tights over regular lycra cycling shorts, topped off with a pair of baggies to keep the wind-chill from the sensitive regions. At the bottom, winter boots with home made neoprene cuffs to better seal the tops to my legs.

With all the layers overlapping I can strip off the outer ones outside the back door after a night ride and be clean enough underneath to leave showering until the morning. I’ll add that this time of year I hardly sweat at all on a ride, because I’m sure some of you reading this will be having visions of me sticking to the bedclothes. Lucky you…………..

philjunior
    Free Member

The good thing about winter is you can use holey old bibshorts under your bibtights. The good thing about baggies is you can use holey old bibshorts under them.

I tend to not bother trying to stay dry, but pretty much what iainc said re. lower half on the MTB. I am considering getting some waterproof overshorts now I’m running dropper posts, as I don’t have any rear mudguard or anything.

fifeandy
    Free Member

They look ace!! Do they slide down at all?

No, so sliding down at all. My only criticism of them would be the legs are a touch baggy, but that’s because Endura tend to be fitted for typical blokes not stick insects like me.

chakaping
    Free Member

Only bit I like to keep dry is my arse, so I wear waterproof shorts in rain and shorts with a splashproof bum panel when trails are damp.

Kneepads keep my knees warm and clean, if not dry.

Only sometimes cover my shins when it’s below freezing.

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t do bibs. Mid length baggy shorts, long top, no mud guards, and just hell with it. Last night’s sloppy mudfest xc round country and urban lanes, paths and singletrack was a right laugh. Sloppy as hell, covered in mud and that just gets you to the point of stop pussyfooting around the mud and just go for it. Far more fun and quickly learn to handle the drifting and how to power through the mud to avoid getting stuck.

Exactly. Plus knee pads for the inevitable unplanned dismounts! 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

Do the people who only wear shorts in winter realise the long term damage exposure to low temperatures can do to the joints, especially as the back of your knees will inevitably be colder than the front?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Pretty much this. And full mudguards now too. Using Madison waterproof shorts too, which seem a pretty well considered product. Not completely watertight, but keep the worst out.

benp1

Rear mudguard – on all bikes

Have been on my HT recently which is getting my front quite muddy, my rigid has a front mudguard so it’s much more pleasant on that. Need to get that on the road asap

Lower half is baggy shorts and unpadded non-bib tights. Then warmish socks and teva links. The tights are to stop my legs getting so muddy. Top half is usually base layer and softshell top (or waterproof if it’s raining). Rarely cold enough my way to need a 3rd layer. Often take an insulated gilet for when we chill out on the park bench 😀

swainy90
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I do agree that yeah sliding around in the slop on off piste sections is great which I do roughly 3 times a week but there becomes a point where you wanna enjoy the ride rather than being covered in mud and chaffing and do agree with the other guy after a long time your joints are going to suffer in these colder months. I think I’m going to get a short bib and full length bib with possibly the madison waterproof baggies. Cheers guys. Any recommendation on the bibs would be great and maybe a silly one but is it easy enough to have a wee with a bib on?

whitestone
    Free Member

Assuming you’re a bloke then it depends on how high the material at the front of the bibs is: my Assos bibs have a low front whereas my club bibs are higher

swainy90
    Free Member

I am a bloke mate aha but good point

deadkenny
    Free Member

steve_b77 – Member 
    Do the people who only wear shorts in winter realise the long term damage exposure to low temperatures can do to the joints, especially as the back of your knees will inevitably be colder than the front?

I’m not out for 24hrs riding. Couple of hours each time, and I live down south so it’s rarely that cold. A few days in a year get sub zero. I might put on knee pads or maybe thermals under the shorts (ski base layer basically) if that cold. Non XC and I’m more likely to wear knee pads. Plus longer sealskinz socks.

Knees are going to be wrecked anyway from various skiing incidents and MTB smashes. Back likewise. So long as I can get my cyber implants by the time they’re shot then I’m good 😀

TiRed

Roubaix Bib 3/4, long baggies over the top and sealskinz socks or over calf merino socks. Top half has a waterproof jacket I’ve had for years and was meant for running. Winter Specialized mtb boots with spds.

On road is sans baggies, but basically the same with road overshoes or Sidi winter boots.

gelert
    Free Member

Isn’t it just Mountain Biking in winter? If you’re out riding anything off-road in winter you’re winning in my book. I’m baggies all year.

I’d never had a water proof + windproof coat until this Xmas. A Madison coat and it’s brilliant. That and a single merino base layer over my elbow pads has worked to -5 so far. In previous years I used a tick windpoof shell coat from Aldi – still works great.

I also got FiveTen EPS high and they’ve solved my shoe water intake + cold feet this winter. Toasty toes is so nice. The flat pedal grip is amazing too. My Freerider Elements can come back out when it’s less wet.

I have Sealskin socks with hydro stop. Seems to work.

The only issue is my AlpineStars AM pants over my bliss minimalist knee pads. The trousers are now the limiting factor on soaking wet descents. I might try spraying them with water repellent before my next ride.

Last week I finally found gloves that finally work for me too. Endura windproof / waterproof. Brilliant. The liner didn’t even come out after 4 hours riding.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Wool socks, water proof socks with iner tubes gasket then overshooes over cycling shoes. Decent bib 3/4 with cheap Lidl tights over the top. hey get the crap banged off them everyday and maybe hosed down and washed monthly. Baggies are shite. They flap and if wet flap wetly. Inventions of a fashion victim for the winter. Legs get wet. They stay warm anyway.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Just bend over for a pee in bibs. 🙂

Madison shorts came up a little small too – worth trying before you buy.

lovewookie

I’ve never got on with baggies, never have the mudguards off the bike either.
    clothing wise I always wear a mid weight waterproof with varying thicknesses of base layers depending on the cold. Legs go from padded 3/4’s to ground effect frostyboy longs with bib shorts underneath, to proper cold endura thermolight bib tights with padded undershorts.

feet get sealskins thermal socks with winter boots if it’s wet. dry gets thermal socks and winter boots.

est thing to stop getting soaked on very wet trails is the old inner tube between your fork brace and the crown to prevent riding into forward spray. I let the mudguard deal with the rear.

lovewookie

Madison shorts came up a little small too – worth trying before you buy.

this is odd, the difference between a large (too tight for me) and an XL (slightly baggy) is about 15 italian sizes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Winter riding xc. What do people wear to keep dry’ is closed to new replies.