Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Winter Riding Trousers For Gnarcore Enduro Radicalist
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Looking to get some decent riding trousers for winter/colder riding. Seen the Endura Burners which seem to tick all the boxes (https://www.endurasport.com/c/MT500-Burner-Pant-II/p/E8091-Black). Anything else out there I should consider? Want something with a more casual feel that I could put pads etc underneath if needed.

submarined
    Free Member

Shorts+knee length Sealskinz FTW. Pads if you get chilly knees.

oikeith

I picked up a pair of Fox Flexairs and will see how they cope now its colder and wetter. I had some Madison trousers before but found them too baggy, I wear a skinny jean in life and would like riding trousers to match that, the Royal Racing Pants look good but are never in stock, Troy Lee trousers look good but are pricy and again nowhere in stock. I see 50to01 just launched a trouser but looks baggy IMO.

honourablegeorge

I jut got a pair of those, dead pleased with them. Not so sure they look “casual” but they’re a slightly looser fit and thicker fabric than the Nukeproof Blackline, which I really like also

Blacklines are more the skinny jeans look in a thinnish stretch fabric, the MT500s look like black DH pants.

orangespyderman

I have very recently bought some Ion Shelter softshell trousers (and a matching jacket 🙂 ). They’re very nice but I’ve only used them for a couple of wet and cold/windy rides. Flexible, casual looking, room for knee pads, warm and reasonably waterproof. They’re not sold as proper waterproof trousers, but on a wet and windy day, I wasn’t wet (or windy 🙂 ). Very comfortable and the softshell material is a much nicer feel to ride in than “waterproofs”, and obviously a lot more breathable so not sweaty.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I’ve literally come back from a ride after wearing my Nukeproof blackline for the first time. They are really comfy, enough space for pads underneath. Not waterproof but keep the splashes off and legs warm enough. In lots of rain though I think they’ll become wet and clingy, but don’t think I’ll ride when it’s torrential out at the moment. Price was reasonable too.

rockhopper70

Fox have just brought out the Flexair Pro Alpha Fire pant. I had a look at them at LUBP at the weekend, albeit they only had 28” waist.. They looked good and seemingly they have tightened the fit as the standard flexair looked ridiculous on me, far too baggy.

The ranger pant, on the other hand, is a really good fit but less “wintry”.

So the new alpha may be warm and a good fit.

sharkattack

I’m not sure which Fox trousers are the new version of my Indicators but I’d buy them again. I love them. They converted me from being a lifelong shorts wearer.

They’re not thick or warm but they’ll keep your socks, legs and pads from getting plastered with crap and not make you overheat.

honourablegeorge

mrwhyte

In lots of rain though I think they’ll become wet and clingy, but don’t think I’ll ride when it’s torrential out at the moment.

Yeah, they get a little like that in heavy rain, they’re not waterproof by any means, but equally, they dry very fast and they don’t get heavy or unconfortable when wet.

TBH, finishing a ride and not having legs caked in mud is the big benefit for me, can just strip off the pants and change into clean clothes. That and not having water running down your legs and into your shoes.

Sui
    Free Member

I’ve been looking into this too. I was looking at the MT500 Spray 2 which i believe is a 2018 model, but Endura says they’ve been replaced, but doesnt say what.. I was looking at their full waterproof model, but £180 is a lot of money.. so interested with what other offerings are around..

Sui

jjprestidge
    Free Member

As mentioned above, Nukeproof Blacklines are pretty good – tight enough to not flap about but with enough stretch for my fairly large Fox kneepads. Cheaper than most of the others, too. The DWR costing means they stay fairly dry.

JP

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers – not looking for something thats advertised as waterproof but something to keep the mud off and my legs a little warmer is spot on.

I’ll take a look at the Fox and Nukeproof options.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve got some Endura MT500 Spray pants – I really liked the cut of my MT500 shorts so I bought the same in long version. I haven’t worn them in anger yet though so all I can say is that they look like they fit the bill and appear to be a good fit /quality.

(I’d probably have gone for the full waterproof ones if they weren’t so bloody expensive)

I was looking at the MT500 Spray 2 which i believe is a 2018 model, but Endura says they’ve been replaced,

Yeah, I got confused by seeing that too. These are simply called the MT500 Spray Trouser (no “II”) and come in a new ‘moss’ colour. So I assume they’re the latest version? https://www.endurasport.com/c/MT500-Spray-Trouser/p/E8108-Black

NS
    Free Member

The postman has just delivered me some Dakine Thrillium trousers – they were £45 (60% reduction) from SportsPursuit.
    Can’t say how they perform yet. but they look very good, tough but fairly lightweight & waterproof fabric with some breathable panels.
    A steal at that price – think the discount reduced to 50% soon after I bought them though?

cookeaa

/thread…

Gotama
    Free Member

picked up a pair of Fox Flexairs and will see how they cope now its colder and wetter.

Flexairs are good trousers but not great when its properly wet as they just soak up water. That said i wish they also had silicone or something on the waist to stop them slipping down.

Had some of the expensive enduras from c.3 years ago. Fit was all over the place but they breathed really well and have stood up to a lot of filthy rides and neglect. They’d be spot on if someone hadn’t put a flex panel on the arse which leaks water.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I have endura single-track trousers. Apart from some destitching at the groin (must be how big my pocket book is…) they have lasted 3 seasons, including wild camping and are great. Warm but not too hot. Waterproof enough and super comfy.

jam-bo

https://7mesh.com/how-to-thunder-pant

I want some thunder pants….

doomanic

The postman has just delivered me some Dakine Thrillium trousers – they were £45 (60% reduction) from SportsPursuit.

I prevaricated for too long on these; not only did they get more expensive but they sold out of all sizes except XS.

I’ve got a pair of Endura Singletrack trousers from about 2012. They’re not waterproof (I don’t think they were ever meant to be) but they do a pretty good job of keeping the shite off in all but the worst weather. As these are now far too big I’m looking for something similar.

clubby

Picked up a pair of Royal Racing Storm pants last winter in the sale. A bit hammer pants fit when standing around but work great on the bike. Waterproof but not too crinkly a material and decent breathability.
    Specialized Demo pants are great if you can find them. Not waterproof but shake off showers and spray and never get too soggy.

plastercaster
    Free Member

I really like my MT 500 spray trousers. Waterproof seat panel and dwr elsewhere. The vent zips work pretty well, so they’re a nice balance of keeping you dry without overheating.

iainc

I bought a pair of those Fox ones in the Spring. I have never worn them and don’t like them….. offers ??

waist 34

🙂

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/330346/products/fox-flexair-mtb-pant-olive-green.aspx

doomanic

Fiver and a packet of Haribo?

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

IainC I might be interested please – I’ll DM you.

iainc

🙂

Cheers Neil, messaged you back

marksnook
    Free Member

I have a pair of the fox defend Kevlar and they are semi baggy, not amazing when wet but like others have said do keep the worst of the mud and spray off your legs.
    Just bought the 50to01 ones, I would say the cut is definitely slimmer than the fox offerings. They seem well made as well. They just feel a bit nicer if you know what I mean?! Haven’t used them in the wet yet though

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Those 50to01 trousers look nice. Think its between those or the Endura Burners…

sgn23
    Free Member

I’ve not tried them, but the Nordwand Pro pants from Revolution Race look to be well spec’ed. Not MTB specific but they are recommended for MTB. Lots of Scandi Euro colour options too!

https://www.revolutionrace.co.uk/men/trousers/outdoor-hiking-trousers/nordwand-pro-pants-men?Color=2179

brads
    Free Member

Was looking at longs for winter riding but spotted that other thread about the dirtsuits.

Now want one.

oldfart

It’s funny I just dragged out a pair of Endura trousers that I’ve had at least 10 years. Worn them every winter warm and toasty not waterproof I’ve got that covered. Darn things are bombproof! Even bought them 2nd hand! 😎 Bet that aren’t as good now though 🙄

Whydot

I’ve got a pair of Sweet Protection Hunter Light trousers. Very casual look, not obviously bikey. Really well thought out features though and support comfy. Plenty of space for pads and big ol’ vents that you can unzip if required.

Sui
    Free Member

I finally lumped for the MT500 spray 2020,and having ridden in them yesterday I am pleasantly surprised. Being that it was probably a little too warm darn sarth yesterday, I did eventually get to a point I wasn’t too hot. Being a big child with a new toy, I also rode through all of the puddles… They really are very good! The waterproof arsss does its thing, and the dwr on the rest of the trouser beads water incredibly well. I know this will need a retreat at some point, but I can live with that. Cut is awesome, nice full high waist band which is reassuringly snug to keep out crap. The cut on the legs is perfect if you’ve got pads on to. I did size up to a L as I’m 6ft,and needed the length in leg, but don’t be frightened by the waist sizes, they obviously come up small and the velcro pill tabs pull everyfhing together with out clumping up. Quite chuffed so far..

Sui.

pothead
    Free Member

Fox ranger 3l waterproof pants, or whatever fox has called their replacement with sealskinz mtb socks, best winter riding kit I’ve used. Fox ranger waterproof gloves are pretty good as well

oikeith

I finally used my new Fox Flexairs over the weekend as it rained, as it was 10-12degrees outside and I run hot I got a bit warm in the leg area, found the fit off the bike to be a bit MC Hammer from the knee up, but when on the bike didnt notice it all. DWR repelled water fine and bum got cold but not wet from the spray.

heinz

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/all-mountain-bottoms/_/R-p-309674?mc=8540537&c=GREY
    I have just had my first weekend riding in these Decathlon bad boys. Very impressed by the fit with my endura knee pads. A little warmer when compared to my Fox Flexair trousers but apart from that are as good and more than half the price.

rascal
    Free Member

heinz – I really like the look of those Decathlon ones as also in the market for some trews. Did you buy online as none of the stores seem to have them in stock? I reckon I’ll be between 34-37 waist (odd sizing!) – how do they size up? I’d want to wear fairly chunky POC VPD Air knee pads too…

bungalistic
    Free Member

I just bought the Decathlon trousers too and so far so good. I used their size guide and then bought a 32″ and they are ok, quite snug around the waist but fine everywhere else no issues while riding. I’d be tempted by a second pair but I’d size up to a 34″ just for that little extra room for pies feel.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Also interested in the Decathlon ones as I’ve still not got into gear and ordered anything else. Ideally I’m after something pretty snug fitting – don’t want any flapping around.

doomanic

I bought both the Endura Singletrack trews from the recent PSA and the Decathlons, these are my impressions so far;

Sizing: I bought L/34″ in both. I’m a 34″ waist and both fit, although the Decathlons are a little snug.
    Fit: The Enduras are baggier in the lower leg and appear to be more suited to get pads underneath but look less streamlined as a result. Both sets of pads are currently gopping so I haven’t actually tried them yet. The Decathlons have significantly less space for pads, especially if you never miss leg day.
    Material/Construction: The Decathlon trousers are the same material as the AM500 MTB Trail Shorts which I was less than impressed with when I bought them. It’s stretchy but I’m not convinced it’ll be overly durable. They are also an odd colour, sort of dark khaki and not “Carbon Grey/Charcoal Grey/Blood Orange” that the website states. What appears at first glance to be a waterproof reinforcement of the seat area is actually a single layer and seems very thin so I’m not sure how durable it’ll be. The same material is also used on the shins.

honourablegeorge

Are the singletracks 34″ in L? Their MT500s are 36″ in L

Endura sizing is just mental.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Winter Riding Trousers For Gnarcore Enduro Radicalist’ is closed to new replies.