Search the forum using the power of Google

• This topic has 42 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by cp.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Winter riding gloves – MTB/gravel. What are you using?
  • bikerevivesheffield

Long cuffs
    Down to 0 c
    Technical riding

scotroutes

Pogies

bikerevivesheffield

@scotroutes yep fine on the cargo bike and gravel bike but not the proper MTB cheers

chakaping
    Free Member

SealSkinz Ultra Grip.

jam-bo

Shower pass knitted ones.

stanley

Once we are below about 5 degrees, I switch from my Gorewear “whatevers” to my Klim Windstopper gloves. These are really a lightweight motorcycle glove but are highly breathable and have great grip and dexterity. they survive rain ok for a couple of hours too. About £50 iirc. Best Winter mtb/gravel gloves I ever used!

matt_outandabout

I have been really, really surprised by my Madison Isoler merino thermal gloves – they were £1.89 in the sale for ‘cool’ rather than cold weather – plus they do better in the wet than I expected.

For properly cold days I now have my climbing liner gloves (Powerdry from Montane or cheapo ‘magic’ gloves) and then either a Sealskins waterproof (longer cuff, keep turning inside out, warm though with liners) or Sealskins softshell (easy on and off, warm, zero water resistance and seem to have a limit where you just freezte at around freezing) or Madison Sprint (they are very sweaty, huge seams, with a liner they work in a fashion, but overall don’t bother).

I was eying up the nice Pearl Izumi gloves in Bikesters sale though….

Kryton57

Galibier Light winter or Barrier Deep Winter gloves.

bikerevivesheffield

What about the atura night vision v waterproof?

StirlingCrispin

Rab Infinium Windproof Glove.

https://rab.equipment/uk/infinium-windproof-glove

bikerevivesheffield

They look huge

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I like Defeet Dura gloves. Buy two pairs and if it’s too cold for one pair then put the other ones on over the top. I’m generally ok down to 0°c with one pair but carry the other pair in my pack. Only switch to Sealskinz if it’s minging out.

bikerevivesheffield

@bax_burner
    Got some of those so will give a go

tjagain

Lidl builders gloves.  Nice and warm even when wet.  Padded palms.  last for years

tall_martin

Seal skins knitted ones. Sometimes with a silk liner

irc

For down to freezing £6 fleece gloves from Sports Direct. The XL/large size is actually large enough for big handsNice loose fit and had some rubber gripper dots on the palm.

Any colder and the fit is loose enough for a pair of silk gloves inside.

hooli

For MTB I cant find anything better than 100% briskers, warm enough for all but the very coldest days but still give enough feel to ride properly. They do have a stupidly short cuff for a winter glove though, I get around it by wearing a very long sleeved base layer and overlapping the gloves.

Sealskins used to make a windproof glove that was awesome, warm, decent protection, thin enough, long cuff etc but they stopped doing them.

ton

got a worn twice ( by the wife ) pair of medium Galibier deep winter gloves to sell.
    looking for £15 for em.

these

https://www.galibier.cc/product/barrier-deep-winter-cycling-gloves/

ton

got a medium pair of these to sell. worn twice by the wife.

https://www.galibier.cc/product/barrier-deep-winter-cycling-gloves/

email me if interested.

geomickb
    Free Member

I thought we had agreed on Briskets? 2 or 3 degrees in The Peak last night and perfect.

easily
    Free Member

Planet X lobsters.

FOG

I have loads of gloves because my hands get very cold very quickly and I am always looking for the perfect pair. The RAB gloves mentioned above are my latest fave. At first I thought they weren’t going to hit the spot because after a few miles my hands felt cool. After twenty miles I realised they had not got any cooler and were perfectly comfortable. I haven’t taken them out in subzero temps yet so we will see. Oh, and they are nowhere near as big as they look on the RAB website.

bikerevivesheffield

Currently got the brisker hydromatic which are comfy but the short cuff is rubbish and they have a hole in the palm of and they aren’t very warm

GolfChick
    Free Member

I rotate between these planet x gloves and these castelli gloves on my road/gravel bike and the usual brisker gloves on my MTB.

poah
    Free Member

Been using some ski gloves from decathlon

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-ski-gloves/_/R-p-311612?mc=8643051

stevextc
    Free Member

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mp/dexshell/dexshell-waterproof-ultra-weather-winter/_/R-p-b8379a93-0c9d-454a-9339-a647cdef3095?mc=b8379a93-0c9d-454a-9339-a647cdef3095_c1&c=BLACK

Available elsewhere and I’ve not paid anything like that… first paid I got in the shop at FOD on sale but since bought another pair as well.. sizing is quite small…

These replace Briskers when its too cold… (I get horribly cold hands and feet) .. though lost my Briskers last year
    Very waterproof though…. and long cuffs

mattsccm
    Free Member

Venitex fleece lined leather jobs from ebay. The original version of the expensive Snow Shepherd ski gloves at about 12 quid. Brilliant. Not waterproof for a day long down pour but fine for an hour or two or long damp days. Alternatively any old waterproof walking type glove or even cheap fleece from the Saturday market.
    For flat bars, Pogies.

stayhigh
    Free Member

@ton ygm

Saccades
    Free Member

Dainese air maze

ton

@stayhigh mail me direct mate. thoss20@hotmail.co.uk

didnthurt

My go to winter gloves are my old Seal Skin ones, they’re about 10 years old. They’ve needed the thumb snot wipe stitching a few times but apart from that they’ve been very good. I especially like the cuff, it’s a perfect length and shape to seal over your jersey sleeve.

Look similar to these:

Waterproof All Weather Glove

The lobster type look good too:

Waterproof Extreme Cold Weather Cycle Split Finger Glove

They even do a heated glove for the folk with bad circulation:

Waterproof Heated Cycle Glove

But they’re very pricey

saucemerlin
    Free Member

100% Briskers with towelling sweat bands. Gets around the need for long cuffs to be part of the actual glove in this case.

vmgscot

Bought some DHB Extreme last year when cheap and they were more than adequate through the (Southern Scotland) 21/22 winter.

jonba
    Free Member

My DHb ones are warm but the palm disintegrated. Don’t know if they fixed that issue. They are ok otherwise.

I have loads, very jealous of you people that don’t get cold hands. I don’t suffer the cold in any other way (feet are fine in icy water). I’ve got windproof and thicker waterproof and lobster types. DHB, planet X mostly Silk liners too for a bit of a boost if needed.

Sealskins are nice, expensive unless on offer. Altura have been good also.

bikerevivesheffield

Do briskers and brisker hydromatic size up the same

scottishscrutineer
    Free Member

Another vote for the Galibier gloves, either the Barrier Deep Winter, or the leather gloves for me

FOG

I have complained before about the tininess of Briskers. I couldn’t even get the XXL ones over my palms so I never found out if the fingers fitted

superstu

I’m a fan of briskets having tried all sorts over the years. To get around the small cuff I wear wristbands – any old cheap tennis player style ones to bridge any gap between glove and top – works a treat!

joebristol

I have always worn Briskers in mtb. Although I’m currently in Royal Racing Storm gloves instead. They’re not waterproof but my hands seem to broadly stay warm in them.

Still never found decent fitting gloves for road that keep my hands warm down at 0 or below though. The Planet X lobster gloves are the warmest I’ve got but they’re a bit weird with the paired fingers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.