Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Winter project needed – Ideas?
  • tjagain

My circumstances mean that I need something to do over the winter. Some sort of project to keep me occupied.

I have enough bikes and they are all well sorted. I live in an attic flat so no garden. I am going to do a bunch of redecorating but need something else. something that will occupy my time and maybe even be a bit creative

Build a copy of the taj Mahal out of matchsticks? a 1/3 scale model of the titanic? counting the number of angels dancing on the head of a pin?

Lets have your bright ideas 😉

Beagleboy

I plan to try and learn the bass guitar again (countless failed stop/start attempts over the past 30+ years), even though I have no musical aptitude. Get a guitar. start learning and we could be famous!

BillMC

Wood carving. Get a collapsible bench eg Worx, a few decent chisels and some blocks of limewood. Print off images and carbon paper them onto the wood and away you go. Shavings easily hoovered up. No tuition needed and a very absorbing pastime.

scruff9252

Not a member myself, but I know there is a Leith Men’s Shed – full workshop for tinkering so you’re not having to find something to fit inside the flat…?

Alternatively tryout some home brewing?

Coyote
    Free Member

I plan to try and learn the bass guitar again (countless failed stop/start attempts over the past 30+ years), even though I have no musical aptitude. Get a guitar. start learning and we could be famous!

Exactly what I am doing. Gone right back to basics with an on line tutorial. Enjoying the structure of the lessons and as they are only 10 minutes long, I can fit them in any time and then just practice when I want.

Instruments are relatively cheap now and can be resold easily. Already thinking about a 6-string. Should help keep you occupied during the darker months.

stumpy01

Get yourself an Arduino project kit & a book to teach you programming?
    Tons of projects out there online?

Airfix models?

Any local groups you could volunteer at? Scouts or something? Helping at a foodbank or charity shop?

Learn to read music (if you can’t) and learn an instrument.

Help molgrips with the engine mounts on his Merc? Should keep you occupied for most of the winter 🙂 .

Some kind of woodcraft?

Photography? Documenting your local area in some kind of creative way?

TikTok influencer?

grum
    Free Member

Knife-making/carving handles etc. V addictive!

tjagain

I had forgotten the mens shed – thats actually not a bad idea

tik tok influencer sounds good – do I need a trout pout and painted on eyebrows?

fasthaggis

Do a Photo a Day.Take lots of shots and choose one to post on Flickr. It gets you out and about and looking at things in a completely different way.You are in Edinburgh so spoiled for choice when it comes to subjects.It’s harder in the dark months but does make you try lots of new styles.

flyingmonkeycorps

If you want something indoor and nerdy, you could teach yourself how to use Blender. You’ll need a moderately decent PC but the software is free and there are tons of great tutorials out there.

stevious

The OU has lots of free courses on its OpenLearn platform if you fancy a bit of an academic challenge:

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/

I’m currently doing a coding course and it seems well put together so far.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have always fancied making one of these really detailed ship models…

Link

oldtennisshoes

I have a nice flat redecorating project at the top of Leith Walk if you want a paid project TJ 👷🏼

stumpy01

tjagain

tik tok influencer sounds good – do I need a trout pout and painted on eyebrows?

Depends who you want to influence I would have thought. 🙂

Photo a day is a good idea. Plenty of Flickr groups out there, or just do it for your own enjoyment.
    You start off thinking “this is a piece of piss” and then as the time goes on, it gets more & more tricky to find interesting pics.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Learn how to make moonshine

kayak23

Photo a day is a good idea. Plenty of Flickr groups out there, or just do it for your own enjoyment.
    You start off thinking “this is a piece of piss” and then as the time goes on, it gets more & more tricky to find interesting pics.

I did it for 3 years from 2013.
    I miss it/Don’t miss it.

What about flatland bmx/freestyle skateboarding or covering as much of your body as you can in diy prison-style tattoos?

joshvegas
    Free Member

How about a tandem in a bottle.

Prison style tattoos does sound fun though.

Reckon you’d get a 14foot canoe down the stairs?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Exotic/pole dancing

dannybgoode

Build an RC plane and then learn to fly as your spring project…

oldtennisshoes
    Harry_the_Spider

Model kits.

Recently got back into it after a few months off and happily “lost” a couple of days.

Cougar

Lego.

R/C cars / planes.

Basically, build some shit. (-:

Cougar

Also,

Do you have any friends? Do what I did and start an Escape Room habit.

jimw
    Free Member

To take two of the above suggestions:
    Woodcarving:
    I have started this again after a long time away from it. Absolutely absorbing and extremely therapeutic but I do find I have to do it in 1-2 hr max sessions because of the concentration required. Don’t be too ambitious to start with.
    Model making:
    I had always wanted to make a large scale wooden/ metal model of an early aeroplane, Could have gone for a Hasegawa 1/8 scale Sopwith Camel or Fokker DR1 but they are extremely spendy (£800ish) and BIG when completed, so went for a 1/16 Sopwith Camel. I estimate it took 1O0 hours+ in total over about 6 weeks. Absolutely loved doing it.

midlifecrashes

If your peepers are still up to it, watch and clock tinkering can be quite fun and interesting, and I’m told silversmithing/jewellery making can be done with a small toolbox and not much space.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Become my Scottish art agent – NicksArtStuff.com

Or perhaps more profitable to try a bit of painting yourself. Stuff like Pour-Painting is an easy and remarkably satisfying way to start.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I know someone who has just started helping out with VIE velo, who: ‘ bring the joy of cycling to blind and partially sighted people through tandem riding with sighted riders’. By riding as a pilot. She has enjoyed herself. That may fit in with your passions.

However, not very creative.
    I have tried whittling, which I enjoy. I’m good at turning pieces of wood into lots of much smaller pieces and a huge mess.
    Inktober is fun.
    My wife and daughters sew and knit, and I wish I could produce what they do.

winston
    Free Member

How about volunteering somewhere?

There will be a dozen organisations near you that will be desperate for help.

tall_martin

Do a Photo a Day.Take lots of shots and choose one to post on Flickr. It gets you out and about and looking at things in a completely different way.You are in Edinburgh so spoiled for choice when it comes to subjects.It’s harder in the dark months but does make you try lots of new styles.

I bought a book by Tom ang when I was learning to use a non point and shoot camera. It has a chapter with how to, then an assignment for you to try, then a complete set of photos by someone with a critique.

I can competently use a DSLR now and it was fun!

This one.

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/books/tom-ang/digital-photography-masterclass/9781405315562?gclid=CjwKCAjw4qCKBhAVEiwAkTYsPL2mg_tuh34gBBjqyUlVoAuFKwr5SzmAQ_nGW2uiASwslNxSRMS6DBoCUl0QAvD_BwE

Cougar

Do what I did and take up Arguing On The Internet.

Oh, wait.

stevie750

What about a raspberry Pi
    Looks like there are loads of projects around what could be done with them.

grum
    Free Member

Do what I did and take up Arguing On The Internet.

You’d have to be an idiot to suggest that.

Cougar

No I wouldn’t.

fasthaggis

Aye yi wood,ya bam.

dyna-ti

Learn to play the bagpipes.You don’t need a full set, I believe you learn by first mastering the Chanter.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392911345258?hash=item5b7b57566a:g:-DcAAOSwg2RfOlrR

Before you set about annoying the hell out the neighbours 😀

binners

scruff9252

Learn to play the bagpipes.You don’t need a full set, I believe you learn by first mastering the Chanter.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392911345258?hash=item5b7b57566a:g:-DcAAOSwg2RfOlrR

Before you set about annoying the hell out the neighbours 😀

You can get electronic chanters/bagpipes these days so you play through headphones. Quite tempted myself if I wasn’t abjectly awful at holding a tune and had any sense of rhythm

dyna-ti

Quite tempted myself if I wasn’t abjectly awful at holding a tune and had any sense of rhythm.

I think thats how they’re supposed to sound 😆

Houns

Build a train set

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Winter project needed – Ideas?’ is closed to new replies.