Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Winter insulated jacket suggestions…
  • Mounty_73

Looking for a winter insulated jacket for walking, not riding.

I am looking at getting synthetic (not down) it needs to have a full zip and a hood.

I tried on a Montane Prism the other day which was really nice, any others worth a look……?

MSP

rab plasma hoodie,

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Montane Extreme Jacket? I tried on the Smock the other day and it says very warm. Very close fitting with good ventilation options. But, the fabric was a bit too noisy for me, it’s quite thick and probably very hard wearing, but is very different to the soft touch of a down jacket.

maccruiskeen

Montane sizing can be a bit weird – I find their stuff very tight and restrictive round the shoulders and under the armpits so try before you buy.

Not insulated as such, but very toasty, is Paramo Velez stuff. Theres doesn’t seem to be enough material to make it as warm as it is – three layers of fabric but no filling or fleece. Very light, soft non-rustly feel and really good articulation. Compared to down jackets its easier to vent when you’re active, better in the rain than down too.

Although they’re thin / light you’d rarely need to wear more than a base layer under them for walking, but the fit i such that you can wear layers under if you need to

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Agree on Montane sizing. Not good if you’ve got permanent tickets to the gun show!

😉

ktmblag
    Free Member

haglofs barrier 2, love mine i bought 2

MoreCashThanDash

Alpkit

passtherizla
    Free Member

montane also do the Flux which I have used as part of my winter climbing kit matched with a montane prism both are excellent jackets… They also do the fireball which I haven’t managed to get my hands on as yet but looks like an original prism which was an ace jacket.

Mounty_73

Alpkit, its never in stock.

The Flux looks good, I have a lot of Montane stuff and it fits me well.

Photon, looked at that but they dont have medium 🙁

cat69uk
    Free Member

I’ve had the Rab Generator for about 3 years, perfect, not too warm. Use it for walking the dog, shops, everything.
    My wife has the Montane Prism, and she says it is useless, she is always cold in it! Does seem thinner than the Rab.

Free Member

Both my brother and I swear by our Montane Prism Jackets, my brother is a mountain guide and rates it highly. I also have a Montane extreme jacket but have only worn it once due to it being a bit small. It is very warm though.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

My wife has the Montane Prism, and she says it is useless, she is always cold in it!

Women are always cold!

I’ve a Prism and a TNF Redpoint, both are very good but the Montane fit is a bit less ‘american’

I’d suggest the Prism only be used on cold walks under 5 degrees or you will be too warm.

mark90
    Free Member

The Prism is thinner than a Generator, 80/40g filling verses 100/60g for the Generator. I wouldn’t say the Prism is useless, just different. I find the prism ideal for mid-level activity in cold weather. Maybe you’re wife should have bought a thicker jacket if she wanted warmer.

cat69uk
    Free Member

Sorry, useless wrong word, correct she should have bought a warmer jacket 🙂

cat69uk
    Free Member
    footflaps

I have a Rab Generator, but I’d say it’s a bit light to be used on it’s own – very thin shell and not that robust. I’d want something a bit tougher as a stand alone jacket.

somouk
    Free Member

I’d be using a Snugpak SJ9.

fazzini

Montane Prism and Flux are both great jackets. Agree with the sizing issues though – I’m medium for the Prism, but large for the Flux. I find the prism gets the most use however.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Finisterre Etobicoke is very good… unfortunately you just missed a 48 hour flash sale when they were £60 off.

Men's Jackets

I’ve got one of these – also recommended really snug and also works on the bike for very cold commutes:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/howies-whistler-lightweight-insulated-jacket/

footflaps

I find Howies jackets have a very strange cut, designed for pot bellied men with pigeon chests….

loddrik
    Free Member

I have a Mountain Equipment Fitzroy which is well worth a look.

r0bh
    Free Member

Another happy Montane Prism user here. The hood is awesome and super cosy

damitamit
    Free Member

I’ve had a Rab Photon for about 5 years. It’s been great but it’s a bit tatty now and I reckon not as warm as it used to be. Also, I want something a bit more weatherproof. Pertex Microlight is not very water resistant.

Got a Haglofs Barrier II hood yesterday to replace it. Feels warmer. Thou I also want to try the Rab Generator Alpine before I decide to keep the Haglofs.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I find Howies jackets have a very strange cut, designed for pot bellied men with pigeon chests….

Hmm… perhaps try a different size then?!

2bit

I’ve got an extreme smock and its my go to jacket for anything cold. Brilliantly tough n warm but not so great for standing around, layering up and if I were to buy again I’d try the jacket.

I’ve been looking at the SJ9 as a stand about warm jacket. Somouk – any good?

footflaps

Hmm… perhaps try a different size then?!

I have; they just seem designed for people with beer bellies and no chest. As someone with a chest wider than their stomach, I’ve given up trying Howies jackets. It’s probably an astute move on Howies part, targeting over weight, out of shape middle aged wanna-be skaters etc.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

It’s probably an astute move on Howies part, targeting over weight, out of shape middle aged wanna-be skaters etc.

…ahh. My people. 🙂

footflaps

In the end (yesterday) I bought a Rab Plasma jacket. It’s at the warmer end of the jackets wit 120g/m² in body, 80g/m² in sleeves. The main thing is it’s a good fit. I tried on the Snugpack jackets but they were a very odd cut, very high waist and short arms.

http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/synthetic-fill/plasma-jacket.html

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Winter insulated jacket suggestions…’ is closed to new replies.