Winter HT550 – Dotwatcher content.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Winter HT550 – Dotwatcher content.
  • Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

1968 to 1971 we stayed on BST during the winter, so it was definitely darker later in the mornings.

Of course, I’d never ask a lady her age.

No, would have been later than that scotroutes.

Whilst on the topic of Scotland, I’ve been enjoying the Grand Tour series on the islands via i-player. Was surprised at the population of some of the little islands and a shame that buildings, together with some contents, were just left abandoned. Also the film about the Skye bridge charges was an eyeopener with a sterling effort by the protesting islanders. Some real characters amongst them!

nbt

I htink someone else is planning a winter HT550 attempt and Richpips was hoping to be first in – but, yes, there’s a few months of winter left

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

He’s in Fort William, stopping the night there which was always going to be more realistic than trying to head south overnight – or ending up in Glasgow at nearly 10pm trying to find somewhere to stay.
    At least now he’s got accommodation, plentiful re-supplies, hot food and a night’s rest.

I guess he’ll update this thread at some point.
    Was fun watching his dot today though, trying to second guess where he was going!

Whilst on the topic of Scotland, I’ve been enjoying the Grand Tour series on the islands via i-player. Was surprised at the population of some of the little islands and a shame that buildings, together with some contents, were just left abandoned.

I’m reading a book called The Frayed Atlantic Edge at the moment – it’s about a guy doing a kayak trip all the way down the Atlantic coast from Shetland, down through Orkney and then along the top of Scotland and down the Western Isles. He writes a lot about the histories of the islands as he goes, some amazing and poignant stories. I do love Scotland although not enough to attempt a HT550 at any time of year!

richpips

On my way home today. Super icy conditions on Sunday. I took a number of falls. Bruising I can cope with, but one of my knees took a proper whack making it painful to push hard on the pedals or walk.
    It was great while it lasted.

Respect, and thank you for boggling my mind. I’m a bit of a local but wouldn’t have considered a winter packing route quite so complex, lengthy & exposed! Enjoy the recovery and pleased to see that you extracted yourself safely.

scotroutes

Oh, @cinnamon_girl, I checked out the sunrise this morning it was 9:32 before it rose over the Cairngorms.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

It’s going to get interesting up here.

Inverness and the Highlands could be under snow as deep as 10 inches by the end of next week according to our local paper.

Anyone thinking of doing a winter HT550 better check before leaving.

scotroutes

Of course, some would say that Winter hasn’t actually started yet…  😉

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

We haven’t had a proper winter for a few years now.

If we’re getting 10″ of snow, it could be about to get more interesting.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Inverness and the Highlands could be under snow as deep as 10 inches by the end of next week according to our local paper.

Have you been reading the Daily Express weather pages? The ones that quite routinely shout doom-laden warnings about the WORST winter in 100 YEARS! to hit? Which means it’ll be mild and damp.

It’s nowhere close to cold enough for snow to settle, never mind 10″ of the stuff; it’s up in double figures across the UK, maybe high single figures for Scotland for the reasonably forecastable future.

scotroutes

Accuweather has daily highs of 2-4C for next week around Aviemore. Not much precipitation though.

Metcheck has daily highs of -6 to -3C for the same period. Likely it’ll fall between the two.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

crazy-legs

…Have you been reading the Daily Express weather pages?

No, the Inverness Courier.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

DavidB

This is what can happen very quickly https://phased.co.uk/the-highland-trail-first-winter-attempt/

I’ve been overnighted near the top of the Corrieyairack by a blizzard in August. I hate to think what it could be like in proper winter snow.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.