Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Winter Hill – Dusty night riding (may contain use of 'buff')
  • GavinB

Blimey, trails around Winter Hill are buff at the moment. Was out running last night, and came back with shoes dry, and hardly any mud. Experimented by running up the Smithhills Moor trail, normally best as a descent, again to find that it was dry, packed and hardly any water at all, even at the usual boggy spots.

So, straight out tonight for a ride up and over to San Marino, Kennels etc. It’s riding like it’s midsummer. Only bummer was that my lights failed on me as I headed back home, so had to miss out on some hidden favourites.

Anyone else out enjoying the trails tonight?

wors

Was out myself up winter hill. Did the kennels and San Marino, they are indeed buff 😀 great ride out.

scaredypants

I’m confused by the use of “buff” in NW England without a corresponding “Hora” in the same sentence ❓

Vortexracing

we were out last night, the reservoir single track was great, fast and dry

bike doesn’t need cleaning, it’s like summer only cold and dark 🙄

GavinB

Have to admit to being really surprised how fast it’s dried out. Only 2-3 weekends ago I ran around the reservoirs, and convinced myself that the trails were so trashed, it’d be months before they were rideable again. Happy to say I was very wrong 🙂

timc
    Free Member

not been rive since the summer, might head over soon though!

whats the kennels?

Gary_C

whats the kennels?

A nice flowy descent from Two Lads down to the dog kennels on Georges Lane.

timc
    Free Member

ahh know the kennels so just checked google earth & now know it, will check it out cheers

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Fingers crossed we don’t have a very wet summer this year.

Bernaard
    Free Member

I must move ooop north, everywhere is still a mess in the Warwickshire badlands 😥

wors

Where is this singletrack you speak of?

simmy
    Free Member

Guessing its from the Liverpool Castle to Rivi Village by the Primary School round the back of Go Ape.

Go down the Bridleway next to the Car Park opposite Rivi High School and follow the Reservoirs round.

Its a really good track even in a foot of snow 😯

binners

The trails are in better nick than they’ve been since this time last year. There was still snow up on the tops last night. The bike was clean when we got back though. Unlike for the last 12 months when its finished every ride looking like its been dragged out of a swamp. Mainly because it had

xherbivorex
    Free Member

that’s tomorrow sorted then- bit of a play in phillips park, then back over to horwich for a jaunt up to the pike i think.

Trimix
    Free Member

Bugger off you lot. My local ride in the Chilterns was “buff” last weekend when it was freezing cold, but the tiny increase in temp this week has melted the top to a sticky, slippy consistency now.

Oh, and its drizzling 🙁

lowey

I suspect its the stuff from Dean Mills to Scout Road…. either way its on my bloody land. Cheek.

Was out on Tuesday and thought the same. Still, this has been a pretty sustained dry spell. Hope its a sign of things to come!

chakaping
    Free Member

Hoping to get out this afternoon.

Was certainly nice and fast up there on Sunday.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

This afternoon I think I need to:
    a. get out of work early
    b. buy a smartphone
    c. install strava and register an account
    d. get to the top of San Marino before it goes dark

yetitony
    Free Member

Have any of you guys got gps for these routes. Relatives in Bolton and wouldn’t mind checking out these gems next time I am in the area?

globalti
    Free Member

The reservoirs in Haslingden Grane are getting empty – WE’RE ALL DOOMED!

chakaping
    Free Member

Still dusty and buff today, but also getting a bit boggy again in the, erm, boggier spots.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yeti Tony email me and I will send you some stufff
    Xherbivore what time you riding ad I am oh tomorrow about 2 ish

chakaping
    Free Member

From this afternoon.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Xherbivore what time you riding ad I am oh tomorrow about 2 ish

dunno yet, got an eye test at 10.20 then we’re popping up to Ribble so ali can look at road bikes, so maybe about that time too.

Vortexracing

yip the other lads are right, from the car park opposite the school at Horwich end, along the reservoir, round the back of Liverpool castle and alongside the go ape thingy till you come out at the other school near the road across the reservoir (horrobin lane). Then the other one is round the reservoir around Anglezarke.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

can you get along the road on t’other side of the ‘bridge’ between the rivi and anglezarke reservoirs yet? the one that eventually gets you to healey nab? i know UU had it closed off for some work or something a few weeks ago but i’ve not looked over that way recently.

Vortexracing

you could last week, not sure of this week

GavinB

Yetitony – drop me a mail and ill pop you some routes, or buzz me on Twitter when you’re up and I’ll show you around.

I’ve now re-planned this weekend around riding local trails. Trails are super-fast at the moment 🙂

GavinB

Smack me down with a bunch of grapes, but I’m thinking even Great Hill and the long descend down to White Coppice might be a goer at the moment. Think that might be plan ‘A’..

hallz
    Free Member

Yep, all the works along that track are finished now and it open again…

GavinB

Don’t worry, I’ll probably recce it first on foot. It’s the worst trail in the wet, which is why I’ve probably not ridden it more than twice in the last year.

olixmb4x
    Free Member

[/quote]Smack me down with a bunch of grapes, but I’m thinking even Great Hill and the long descend down to White Coppice might be a goer at the moment. Think that might be plan ‘A’..

yep did this on wednesday, all but a small boggy patch near the top which will likely be dry by now – other than that its like summer – just watch out at the bottom its quite erroded where the rocky bit is

GavinB

Cheers, good info!

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone fancy a night ride this week? Or any groups I could tag along with?

New to area and keen to learn a few more routes/hook up with some local bikers.

hallz
    Free Member

What area have you moved to Chakaping? We ride from Bromley Cross (generally) on Thursday nights and Sunday mornings…

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m more over Wigan way, could be an option though – cheers guv.

🙂

shinsplints

Chapaking – did you get the zen frame off of here ? Think it might be my old one 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes got it off a fella called Steve.

Used to have same frame in medium but the large fits me much better for XC riding. Lovely frame.

simmy
    Free Member

Smack me down with a bunch of grapes, but I’m thinking even Great Hill and the long descend down to White Coppice might be a goer at the moment. Think that might be plan ‘A’..

I’ve always heard of Great Hill, can anyone tell me where it is ?

Guessing its at the back of Blue Lagoon, other side of Rivington Road than the Mast ?

Cheers

hairyscary

Rode San Marino today. When I got to the bottom I did an about turn, rode to the top and had another go :-). Lovely to ride it in the dry for the first time in an eternity.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Winter Hill – Dusty night riding (may contain use of 'buff')’ is closed to new replies.