Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Winter Gym Weight Training
  • dalesjoe
    Free Member

Well the tips on here seem to be paying off. Reduced the weight slightly to concentrate on form then slowly increased the weight if I could hit 12 in the first set. Seem to be getting a nice, steady increase in strength. My weights also gone up from 13st10lb to 14st7lb in just over 5 weeks. Going to try and get used to squats without the smith machine in the new year I recon.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Quick question for the STW gym goers…If I’m doing a 3 day split routine, do I risk over training if I go every day? I would normally go on alternate days, however I’ve recently started going each day as I seem to be enjoying it more than expected. So, while I’m not getting 2 days rest between each session I’m training different muscle groups each day. Would this suffice the recovery requirements or is it a case of “Less is better” etc?

Also is it normal to go backwards on some exercises? Making good steady progress on most but then I seem to be losing strength for the shoulder press the past couple of weeks…

footflaps

Quick question for the STW gym goers…If I’m doing a 3 day split routine, do I risk over training if I go every day?

All down to the individual, your age, genetics, level of training (tolerance) and how tough the sessions are relative to your work capacity.

Also is it normal to go backwards on some exercises?

A lot of training programs are periodised, eg 3 weeks increasing effort then 1 back off week. You’ll be weaker at the end of the 3 week block, but stronger after the back off week.

I’m 45 and train most days. Some days I haven’t recovered and either do lighter weights or just skip something. If I feel good, I just do more – basically just go by how I feel once I start lifting weights (often different to how I feel before I start lifting).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dalesjoe
    Free Member

OK great cheers. I’ll try taking it easy next week & see if that does the trick. Might try dropping back to alternate days only for weights & doing cardio on the other days. See if that makes any difference.

Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Winter Gym Weight Training’ is closed to new replies.