Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Winter gloves recommendations
  • MoreCashThanDash

+1 on Galibier.

I do find that sizing up and having a thin pair of liner gloves underneath makes a huge difference to any “winter” glove, plus making sure that the rest of you is properly warm and insulated helps the heat reach fingers and toes. Commuted down to -8 plus windchill in the past.

fazzini

Sealskinz and wrist bands. I know, I was sceptical about wrist bands too, but they were recommended to me by a mountain guide when we were out on a navigational course, as I have terrible trouble with cold fingers etc. Even cheapo ones from sports shops do the job.
    Edit – I also carry a flask cup of coffee with me when its really cold as per ^^^. deffo helps if all of you is warm

submarined
    Free Member

I suffer with Reynauds so my perspective is skewed, but as good as they are, Hydromatics are absolutely not suitable down to those temps IMO.
    Galibier Deep Winters with silk liners just about about made my half hour commute bearable in those temps, so they may prove usable for those with better circulation.

failedengineer

I’ve got Raynauds too and the Galibers with silk liners are pretty good. However, proper mountain gloves with fibre pile lining are probably better. I’m going to try some this Winter, although they all seem a wee bit bulky for cycling. I’ve got some for the motorbike, but they are mainly leather (Triumph brand) and they work pretty well.

footflaps

For real winter conditions I just wear Goretex ski gloves. Cycling gloves never seem to be good enough.

Northwind

I get cold hands- maybe from the diabetes, maybe I’m just a cold hand person. So yeah the briskers wouldn’t do me at all for actual cold, they’re good gloves though.

The only thing I’ve ever found that really keeps me comfortable is perfect curve glacier gloves- big fat drysuit neoprene. They’ve got some real downsides- they’re foamy and squishy so the grip feel is weird, and they’re 100% waterproof which is good and bad, they don’t breathe at all and they trap water in when you take them off if you’re not careful, which causes them to go pretty disgusting between washes.

But, they’re awesome and I love them.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Pogies

easily
    Free Member

I like ‘lobster’ style gloves. I find that the semi-mitten design keeps my fingers warm while still allowing good control.
    I’m about to buy another pair of these:
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCARULCRG/carnac-waterproof-crab-hand-winter-gloves
    as my current pair won’t last another season. I’ve managed two full winters with them, and at 15 quid a time I reckon that’s ok.

dyna-ti

I’ve a very old pair of specialized bike lobster claws and a semi water resistant lobster overglove
    The overglove is made by a company called Chiba, whom I’ve not heard of and claimed ‘All Weather’ which they werent by the way the let water in like a sieve. But over the top of the neoprene spesh lobster it really ups the insulation by acting against windchill, and its long enough to go over sleeves and has an elasticated draw-cord.
    I used to cycle as a commute in the real depths of a Scottish winter and they certainly work to keep the hands warm even when wet through.

abingham

Pogies

^This^. Good gloves are fine-ish, but Pogies are infinitely better. There’s a reason they’re de-facto gear for races like the Arrowhead 135.

I finally bit the bullet on some Revelate Williwaw pogies last winter and have been kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I’d get numb fingers in any and every winter glove after about 20mins max when it started to get cold (not even really cold as I’m down south) but those Pogies keep me toasty and can unzip the bottoms to get a draft going if they get too warm.

For me, what sets them apart from gloves (aside from being warm) is that I can also feel and operate brake, gear and dropper levers whereas with proper winter gloves on changing gear is a complete guessing game!

zerocool

Don’t forget to keep your arms abs core warm and insulated as well (I’m sure you already do) as a lot of people underestimate how much of a difference it makes for the blood to still be nice abs warm when it gets to your fingers.

coconut
    Free Member

Thanks all, I purchased the Galibiers.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Winter gloves recommendations’ is closed to new replies.