Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Winter germ thread
  • chrisyork

Go on then who’s ill and has had it far too long?

I’m absolutely pig sick of it now, as it’s been in our household since Xmas, so I’m not too bad and got over it after a few days but our 4 month old has a persistent cough and Mum has an absolutely rotten cold which is making her cough so hard she’s reversing all the pelvic floor work she’s been trying to do after pregnancy to stop as she calls it “her insides feeling like they’re going to fall out”

Get the feeling baby and mum are just re-infecting each other! She’s exclusively expressing STILL as suffered Post natal depression after birth and feels the only thing she can do right for him is keep feeding him, which means she can’t take medicine to get better! Couple that with him hitting sleep regression so she’s getting garbage nights sleep, we both are. She then finds it hard to ask anyone for help, as she cleans a certain way and always has to step in even when I do it!
    Neither of us have any time due to me working and during the day she’s looking after little un.

So yeah anyone else feeling it at the moment? Sharing’s caring…

mattyfez

I think that the collective population have decided that covid, flu and general sniffles are imagined.

Bloddy science! Down with this sort of thing!

It’s hitting you worse because you are both run down by the sounds of it

But yeah, things seem to be lingering.

I’m pretty sure the amount of colds/bugs and the severity is caused in part by the period of social distancing and everyone spending 18/24 months NOT really catching much.

Before the calls of troll start, this is also the view of medical professionals and has been a topic in the national news, albeit it wasn’t hard to see it might happen

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dc1988

There seems to be a cough going around that only antibiotics will clear, some friends and family had it for weeks/months before the antibiotics cleared it.

w00dster

Yep, had a cold/cough and ear ache since Xmas. Cleared it for a couple of weeks early Jan. went on holiday and ear ache came back on the first day. This developed back into the same cough/cold. Had it bad for 16 days now. The cough has get better but the ear ache and cold persists. The ear ache is horrible!

I never normally get ill. Previously I’d go years without even a cold. Kids would have them and I’d remain unaffected.

It’s really annoying. I’ve been too run down to ride my bike or even do Zone 2 on the trainer. Luckily my appetite’s suppressed so I haven’t become a bloater with the lack of exercise.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Something hit our and extended local family around Xmas, massive exhaustion like flu, I was the only one who had a flu jab well before and the only one who didn’t get coughing fits with it and didn’t get sent for chest x-ray, but still hit me physically. Most of others have had antibiotics recently including better half, bar a few days when she appeared to be getting better a couple of weeks ago, she’s been suffering for ~6 weeks now but drugs seem to be doing the business.

While I’m trying to get a bit active again, I can barely hear a damn thing in my left ear, others had ear trouble too!

theotherjonv

There seems to be a cough going around that only antibiotics will clear, some friends and family had it for weeks/months before the antibiotics cleared it.

My wife had the long cough thing, lasted for weeks. Finally she got antibiotics for it and was gone in a few days. Maybe coincidence of course.

I’ve heard a few comments on also taking ibuprofen, to reduce inflammation and hence the impulse to keep coughing.

13thfloormonk

Interesting to hear that antibiotics work. Based on the NHS website I’d assumed it was viral Bronchitis, coughing up clear phlegm which suggested not bacterial and thus no benefit to antibiotics?

Would be glad to see the back of it also! ☹️

Houns

Started with what I thought was this lugry/chest infection doing the rounds a couple of weeks ago, tested negative for covid every day until Thursday, I’m now day 6 into covid, cough is easing but other symptoms still around and still positive, only finally lost all sense of smell and taste yesterday

fossy

We’re all OK here now, but suffered after we all went down with Covid in early November. Wasn’t well for about 6 weeks in total, lungs knackered. Managed to get back on the bike for a ride at the end of December, then back to the commute in January. Struggled the first week, but it’s quickly cleared up and buggered off. Felt back to normal by late January.

There is still loads of shoot going about though !

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

It’s definitely full on lurgy season.

Not sure what’s going on to be honest, I used to get 1 or maybe 2 colds a year and sometimes go 12-18 months without one but the last 2 years have been ridiculous.  Just one virus immediately after the other with no more than 3-4 weeks between them all year round.  It’s like my immune system has just given up.

This does coincide with a few things though –

– My lad started nursery 2 years ago

– I’m WFH full time but wife is in the office 5 days a week

– Covid (only tested positive for the first time in Sept 22 though)

Most recently I had severe tonsillitis at the beginning of Dec followed by a full on cold for a week over xmas.  End of Jan I caught another full on cold and I’m still very congested with it 9 days later.  I seem to pick these things up from my lad / wife but they seem to get minor sniffles and I get absolutely floored.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

That’s Tory Britain for you!

lamp
    Free Member

I’ve been in Verbier since mid December and it’s been like one giant doctors waiting room! Just as it eases another ton of tourists arrive and seems to bring a fresh strain in!!

I mentioned it on another post, i’ve never known a winter like it for people being ill with coughs and colds. Managed to dodge most of it so far, but will be amazed if i escape the winter without coming down with something!

Speaking to mates back home, they’ve all got it regardless of being in the south or north!

theotherjonv

as theartist has said, immunity debt coupled to an increased mixing (and those of you with kids, they are germ vectors like no other!)

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2348968-do-we-have-immunity-debt-and-how-could-it-affect-our-infection-risk/

Sandwich

Bronchitis started up in early January, tested positive for Covid last week and now 9 days in. Sick of the sight of home just now.

chrisyork

Just catching up on this, wow as it’s been mentioned I think these bugs have maybe evolved! So I went from feeling pretty good to today feeling like my head was out of it and not even a sore throat but just not a normal one….so odd! We used to sleep with windows on the latch too but can’t at the moment because of little un and it getting too cold for him

timba
    Free Member

It could be worse… https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/02/norovirus-cases-are-hurtling-upward-potentially-passing-2022s-record/

Healing vibes to all those suffering, look after yourselves

chrisyork

It’s just unbelievable! I’ve had a full two packs of cold and flu which usually fights the most hardiest of bugs.

however my throat is if anything now getting worse! My poor lass being a new Mum has had the same but far worse for over 2 months and just recently I feel my throat like I’ve got something in it, honey and lemon help to soothe for a few hours then it just comes straight back…. What the hell is it!!

dyna-ti

These seems to be a lasting cough going about. Sister has had it two weeks at least. The doctor has told her they’ve seen this and its nothing to really worry about.

I suspect this is more to do with everyone being in lock down for over a year, and natural immunity has waned a little. It might be a number of years before that comes back and things like coughs,colds and maybe flu might drag on much longer than expected.

All you can really do is rest more, try to take things like honey/lemon or over the counter medications and wait it out.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Almost three weeks now since I started to get over this 3 week+ bug that went through local family after Xmas and my left ear still feels blocked and muted, combined with the much worsened tinnitus since Covid late September my ears are driving me nuts!

Can’t recall ever having ear issues like this after lurgy, certainly not as long. Whole dilemma now of how much longer to put up with the blocked left ear, or get a hearing test and/or GP appointment.

chrisyork

Ouch that doesn’t sound nice, it seems that all three of us are finally getting through the other side of it. It seems cold and flu now is just making my nose run, but not in a productive “I’m getting rid of this” way.

The feeling of a lump in my throat has gone which was just an odd feeling and likely after 3 weeks I’m feeling more normal. So is my female, she had it very bad and only in the last few days stopped coughing so hard she thought her insides were going to drop out (by the sounds of it a realistic feeling 4 months after giving birth)

I suspect this is more to do with everyone being in lock down for over a year, and natural immunity has waned a little. It might be a number of years before that comes back and things like coughs,colds and maybe flu might drag on much longer than expected.

I’m not sure how I can say this without getting flamed and really don’t want to derail this into another offshoot of the Corona thread.

However, I was saying this all through the mask wearing period. I wanted to keep a natural immunity to common germs and viruses.

Common colds are now manifesting as quite serious long lasting chest infections in many cases and completely flooring people. I’m sure there will be hospital admissions and quite possibly deaths for the vulnerable, but of course they won’t be reported as they aren’t recorded as covid

ernielynch

Common colds are now manifesting as quite serious long lasting chest infections in many cases and completely flooring people.

Are you sure about that? If you haven’t been in contact with a  common cold virus for a couple of years then your immunity is likely to be weaker but it is still a cold.

I don’t think that not being in contact with a cold virus for a couple of years is that uncommon. Even before the Covid pandemic.

Edit: From before the lockdown:

'Colds' that won't go away ?

This years annoying virus/cold symptoms ? what are yours?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.