Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Winter gear?
  • Premier Icon jree
    Free Member

Looking to spend about £100 on a nice warm winter jacket and pick up some socks, gloves and under helmet hat if anyone can recommend me anything? Went out tonight and was freezing and it wasn’t even that cold.

Premier Icon weeksy

100% brisker gloves are warmly awesome

Premier Icon ton
    Free Member
    Premier Icon Northwind

Briskers are great gloves but not massively warm- I’m thinking if you’re already feeling it cold, you might well want something warmer?

Premier Icon jree
    Free Member

Are those paramo jackets warmer than they look? They look a bit thin? If so they look perfect, does that hood fit over a helmet too? Love my normal jacket that does that.

Premier Icon thepurist

The default answer to “what warm gloves”

Barrier Deep Winter Gloves

Premier Icon 13thfloormonk

Briskers aren’t bad but I agree they’re not the warmest.

Hat wise, I got a Stolen Goat Belgian hat, a bit waterproof, Merino earflap etc. Would swear it makes the difference between tolerating and enjoying cold wet rides

Premier Icon bruneep

more layers of summer clothes

Premier Icon ton
    Free Member

the paramo jadket is not too thin really. it is 2 layers with a filling which does the magic. they are not like a normal waterproof. they do breathe and dont let much water through in rain.

Premier Icon scotroutes

Gloves?

You want Pogies mate.

Premier Icon chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Shell jacket and layers (especially a skin tight base layer) underneath is the best way IMO. You can adjust the layers to suit different temperatures and use jerseys you already have as mid layers.

I have two types of base layer thinner for Autumn/spring and Ski base layers for winter. You don’t have to spend a fortune on bike related ones either, my Ski base layers were 3 quid.

Merino wool socks work well for winter biking but are quite expensive as far as socks go! Again I avoid MTB brands, as some of them charge ridiculous prices. It’s like they are in a competition of who can charge the most and get away with it!

100% Briskers are good.

Summer any old shite will do.

Premier Icon aide

5 degrees here today, so would have been:

Madison base layer

Normal MTB top

Endura convertible gilet (with sleeves)

Fox troo’s

Snood (first I found)

Briskers

Thick merino socks

Premier Icon oikeith

5 degrees here today, so would have been:

Madison base layer

Normal MTB top

Endura convertible gilet (with sleeves)

Fox troo’s

Snood (first I found)

Briskers

Thick merino socks

The contrast beetween what Aide wears at 5degrees and I wear shows that is really a personal preference, 5 degrees for me is the bottom end of staying in summer clothing but with a long sleeve not a short sleeve, drop a few more degrees off and ill swap to trousers, few more off that then its base layer and thicker socks.

I agree with this:

more layers of summer clothes

unless raining or very wet on the ground, when colder I’ll add a cheap sports direct own brand thermal base layer underneath and some 100% brisker gloves.

Premier Icon chakaping

I wouldn’t quite say summer clothing, but now it’s dipping to 5deg (and lower up high), I’ll be wearing a long-sleeve baselayer and a softshell jacket.

Riding trousers, buff on head, wool socks and I’ll probably wear my softshell gloves and then wish I’d worn my Sealskinz Ultra Grip instead because my fingers will get cold.

Premier Icon dthom3uk

I was out last night. The Temperature started at 3C and dropped as we gained elevation.

I had a Decathlon long sleeve base layer on that has a windproof front. On top of that I wore a Stolen Goat Climb and Conquer jacket. On the legs I wore Endura trousers and I had Sealskinz waterproof socks on. I wore the Stolen Goat Climb and Conquer gloves.

The gloves were probably actually too warm and I ended up with sweaty hands that got cold towards the end of the ride. I had a Gilet in my back pocket that I put on after the pub stop.

The Climb and Conquer jacket is superb and keeps out even heavy rain. I reckon any decent softshell will do if you are only doing 2-3 hours from home.

Premier Icon nickc

Personally I don’t think the (Andy Kirkpatrick’s version) of soft shell really works for cycling unless you’re doing very steady state stuff (Z2), so I still think the way forward is layering, I spend money of a decent close fitting insulated base (Patagonia Capilene is the best for me) , then I can wear a warmer/cooler mid layer and wind/waterproof on the top accordingly. Socks are less important than having room in your boots/shoes to wriggle your toes, although obvs wool helps here, and stuff a buff into your neck to bung up the gaps.

I’m not a fan of overly padded/insulated gloves, but luckily my hand tend to warm up after 30-40mins, so it’s not a problem for me. I’ve found that as long as the tips of my ears, and toes are warm, the rest of me tends to be OK

Premier Icon fazzini

You don’t have to spend a fortune on bike related ones either, my Ski base layers were 3 quid.

Yep – my cricket one with fleece type backing was £5. Something similar form a cycling brand normally much much more

Premier Icon tonyd
    Free Member

On the Paramo suggestion, I love Paramo kit and have a Torres smock but it’s way too warm for anything but the coldest of rides. I went out Tuesday morning with:

– Normal bib shorts
    – Gore knee warmers
    – Normal riding shorts (adidas something or other)
    – Helly Hansen long sleeved warm base (synthetic) layer
    – Short sleeved cycling jersey
    – Endura primaloft gilet
    – Old gore winter gloves
    – Endura socks
    – Specialized defroster winter boots

I was sweating like a sweaty thing once I got going, largely because of the gilet.

When it gets really cold I would swap out the bib shorts for thermal winter bib tights (old Campag ones) and the gilet for an old gore windproof jacket, and would likely add a thin buff (can go over the head also) and some gaiters to stop water getting into my boots.

If it’s wet the shorts are swapped for Gore waterproof shorts and the gilet/jacket for a waterproof jacket (maybe with a thin extra layer)

If you’re going to buy anything I’d focus on gloves/socks/boots to keep the extremities warm, then add layers (old or new)

Premier Icon boriselbrus

Are those paramo jackets warmer than they look? They look a bit thin? If so they look perfect, does that hood fit over a helmet too? Love my normal jacket that does that.

The Quito is just brilliant. I’ve ridden to work in 2’c with the zips all done up and just a base layer and been just about warm enough, then ridden home in 14’c with the vents open and the same base base and been very comfortable. Also kept me dry in very heavy rain. It’s about the one item of clothing that if I lost I’d replace immediately.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.