• This topic has 80 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • winter etiquette…….baggies over lycra
  • lizzz
    Free Member

If I went out in just lycra the boys would all keel over in shock at what an incredible arse I have. They would find it too much of a distraction and start crashing into trees and rocks.

Best to keep the baggies on for the sake of not having to ship people off to hospital all the time.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

its also has to be in context too, lets say you are a brad wiggins esque build racing snake – lycra will generally look great on you….

lets say your a 15stone lard ass (like most mtbers 😉 ) and wearing lycra on its own will look truly awful, especially on a mtb….

i think some people can carry it off, and some people it just looks better to cover it up..

Trekster

Sue_W – Member
    Baggy waterproof shorts (gore alp x) over lycra (3/4’s or longs)

Can’t see why you’d want soggy baggy shorts over damp lycra – yuck!
    Can`t afford Gore gear, simples 🙄 Lidl and Aldi for me this year 💡

+1 and more for tops & bwd posts 😆

As I approach 60 then this is probably quite appropriate 😉

Oscillate Wildly – Member
    its also has to be in context too, lets say you are a brad wiggins esque build racing snake – lycra will generally look great on you….

lets say your a 15stone lard ass (like most mtbers ) and wearing lycra on its own will look truly awful, especially on a mtb….

i think some people can carry it off, and some people it just looks better to cover it up..

njee20
    Free Member

Without wanting to get embroiled in this debate, it is 100% personal after all! I can’t let this slide…

It’s warmer, you’ve got pockets to keep stuff in, the shorts keeps the crud off you and apart from anything else it makes things a lot easier when you get home as you can ditch the muddy baggies at the door and head to the shower with some semblance of decency without treading god knows what into the carpet.

Warmer? No, unless you’ve got waterproof baggies on (such as the Alp X ones, which are not at all baggy!) an extra layer of sodden material flapping around your thighs is not warmer.

Pockets? If you don’t mind things bouncing around constantly, otherwise jersey/jacket/bag is more sensible, you’re less likely to land on them too!

Crud off? Well it puts it on a different layer of fabric, not much else

Treading crap into the carpet? How do you figure? Your thighs/arse may be slightly cleaner, as they will be if you take your tights off and have lycra shorts underneath. Seeing as my lower legs tend to be as muddy if not muddier I fail to see any advantage there!

I used to use Alp X shorts, they wore through after 3 winters, last year I didn’t bother and didn’t really notice a massive difference frankly. I probably don’t use the MTB that much when it’s stupidly muddy though.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

****ing power rangers everywhere on bikes…..put it away!

will
    Free Member

Pure lycra.

Anything else over the top pointless/for fashion.

Paceman
    Free Member

Who cares… just make your clothing choice and get out and ride, it’s not a fashion show. 😆

deanfbm
    Free Member

Bare lycra offends my eyes, there is no need to put other people through the horror that is seeing a man in tights.

By wearing baggies, you’re making things nicer for other riders and the general public.

TiRed

Of course;
    I don’t race
    pockets are useful
    I can peel off the muddy baggies to drive home.

That last one is the key. For commuting, I just wear tights.

derekrides
    Free Member

See somebody riding an ATB in Lycra, which is an entire crime against style in itself, right up there with speedos, I just feel sorry for the poor sap.

My mates? They just roll their eyes and go ‘cock’.

yunki
    Free Member

I usually make an attempt to wear as many articles of my dead grandmothers clothing as I can without restricting movement..

chubby_monk
    Free Member

Those scales are brilliant. I love the fact that pi is marked on there. outstanding

njee20
    Free Member

But if you’re wearings tights under your baggies they’re still muddy, and if you have shorts under your tights you can just take off your tights and you’re clean!

allthegear
    Free Member

I don’t care what you wear – just stop standing next to your Audis after a wet ride and stripping it all off for all to see – it’s not a good sight!!

Rachel

richmtb

Baggies over lycra, After a ride pull of the cruddy outer layer pull on a pair of old jeans and jump in the car, sorted.

Plus my good looks and natural charm more than compensate for ridiculous attire

mojo5pro
    Free Member

baggies should be worn over any type of lycra at ALL times!!

juan
    Free Member

Well I don’t own lycra, I have tried numerous time and I find them very uncomfy. However when it’s very cold, I wear a first layer with no padding underneath my waterproof trousers.
    For me shorts have far more practicality than lycra.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I wear lycra over lycra! Nice comfy pair of bib short to keep the tum warm as well. Over them some Lidls padded tights that get washed once a month on a good day. Mudgaurd keeps the shite out of my crack.

Gribs

Bikesters over lycra shorts in winter. Warmer, easy to remove when getting back in the car and less tight than just wearing lycra tights.

juan
    Free Member

Am I the only one riding in trousers when very cold during winter…?

RoterStern
    Free Member

Am I the only one riding in trousers when very cold during winter…?

Freak! 😉

bella
    Free Member

Lycra is a privilige and not a right! If your name is not Pendleton bare lycra is simply wrong. While I come from Lancashire where most of us are still scared of electricity (work of the devil) most villages have clubed together and bought one of those new fangled mirror things. A mirror and functioning eyes should be all that you need to decide.

epicyclo

Anything warm…

winterfold
    Free Member

Cynic-al was in the lead but Tops 5 shiteometer wins hands down.

It really doesn’t matter – it’s bike riding not **** Strictly – whatever is warmest and you find most comfortable.

I wear padded baggies over waterproof tights or gore long trousers ( can be 3/4s) with padded endura boxers. Either way the old chap is nice and snug, with no chance of upsetting anyone with the Linford effect 😉

winterfold
    Free Member

It really doesn’t matter – it’s bike riding not **** Strictly – whatever is warmest and you find most comfortable.

I wear padded baggies over waterproof tights or gore long trousers ( can be 3/4s) with padded endura boxers. Either way the old chap is nice and snug, with no chance of upsetting anyone with the Linford effect 😉

winterfold
    Free Member

martinxyz
    Free Member

I mentioned this at work the other day. Baggies over tights lol. I have been out with folk dressed like this and lets face it.. if people in the group are questioning the look, then wtf are non cyclists thinking? Some baggies look like skirts over ladies winter tights. Its awful. I know its not a fashion show and it might keep a bit of mud off yer hole but why not just buy tights fit for the purpose? Some folk are wearing the most ill fitting baggies too. How do they get over the saddle with so much material getting in the way?

Next time you dress like that, glance in a mirror before you go outside and question it. If you ponder the look for a few seconds then return to the room and sort ittt outttt!

langy
    Free Member

Again..?

Personally – baggies over, lycra under; length of lycra appropriate to weather.

I find kneewarmers work for 90% of rides though, rather than going full tights and still the ‘advantage’ of stripping them away to be ‘clean’ for the car. Longish socks too – job done.

Those talking about the washing of waterproof shorts etc – why? I just hose the worst off, only wash in machine every so often. I don’t machine wash my jkt every ride – waterpoof shorts/trousers are the same…

I’m tempted to go to trousers next winter though – like the Endura singletrack ones i.e. not explosion-in-a-paint-shop DH ones, but just a bit longer and warmer version of shorts. Probably do look a bit less unique than the tights under baggies, if that bothers you.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I wear baggies over lycra to spare others the embarrassment.

Clink

Those talking about the washing of waterproof shorts etc – why? I just hose the worst off, only wash in machine every so often. I don’t machine wash my jkt every ride – waterpoof shorts/trousers are the same…

because dirt stops the dwr working and reduces breath-ability of most fabrics…

RoterStern
    Free Member

Does anyone ride baggies UNDER lycra? 😉

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I wear lycra and in winter i put baggies over th etop mind you they aren’t really baggy and more like tight cargo trousers. They keep the worst of the mud of my tights and also keep the wind off to hlp with warmth. In summer i only wear lycra shorts as i find them more comfortable and there is less to catch. As for the argument that the lycra will rip whan you crash and allow you to be damaged the one time i wore baggy shorts and crash they just slide up allowing my legs to get really cut up.
    I wear only lycra on my road comuute.

Paceman
    Free Member

Are we still discussing this… REALLY?? 😉

tomaso
    Free Member

Been wearing cut down combats and then ‘baggies’ over lycra since 1990 – not sure about fashion I like pockets and have never enjoyed the budgie smuggler look.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

I wear what ever MBR says is in season. 😉

But normally it’s Gore power tights or stealth longs.

Am i power ranger? can i be the black one?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Baggies over lycra. ‘Tis a good look…

enfht
    Free Member

Bare Lycra has its origins in tarmac riding, much like triple rings

Both are alien to MTB and will fade away in time

Do ANY bare lycra fetishists have zero tarmac histories?

Anyhow it looks ridiculous 😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

Case closed.

Goodnight.

samuri
    Free Member

100% baggies over lycra. I’ve come off a road bike in just lycra. It’s not protective and it’s quite prone to melting when it hits tarmac at speed.

I really have no intention of riding over ten miles home with my cock hanging out again. Thanks.

rOcKeTdOg

No one would notice lycra under these

the can you spot my shorts ride by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘winter etiquette…….baggies over lycra’ is closed to new replies.