• This topic has 80 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • winter etiquette…….baggies over lycra
  • iainc

We had a debate on this last week. around 2/3 of the group had baggies over longs, rest, self included were in “bare lycra”. so what do the stw style gouru’s reckon ?
    and if baggies, do i use my singletracks or attacks or buy some winter specifics ?

mrmo
    Free Member

i don’t see the point in baggies at the best of times, the only exception is waterproof shorts.

I hate mudguards, hate baggies, it is just hate a soggy chammy more than i hate baggy shorts.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Personally I wear baggies over lycra when it’s proper cold, if it’s a bit warmer – as in not snowing just knee warmers

Sue_W
    Free Member

Baggy waterproof shorts (gore alp x) over lycra (3/4’s or longs)

Can’t see why you’d want soggy baggy shorts over damp lycra – yuck!

chakaping
    Free Member

Baggies over lycra = no problem. It’s not a fashion show.

I tend to go a lot longer before succumbing to tights now that I wear knee pads most rides though. They keep a lot of warmth in.

crikey
    Free Member

Baggies stop you from ruining your lycra longs with gritty mud. They also help you to avoid the ‘I’m a Mountain biker and I dress the same way that they do in the mags, so why am I jeffing freezing while wearing shorts when it’s 2 degrees?’ silliness…

druidh
    Free Member

TBH, I think the whole “baggy” thing really is just fashion driven. As mrmo says, there might be a good excuse to use waterproof shorts, but otherwise there’s little point. Something like the Endura MT500 tights/bibtights are ideal as they already have a second layer of fabric on the most likely abrasion points (should a fall occur).

coogan
    Free Member

Who cares. It’ll be freezing and muddy and you worry about what clothes to wear? Everyone looks daft on a bike most of time anyway whatever the clothes.

wwaswas

Just me with Lycra over baggies then?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

If it’s too cold, wet and shitty for shorts either lycra or baggies, then it’s just roubaix longs for me. Still a month off yet I think. As long as I’m comfortable I couldn’t give two hoots what others think.

iainc

Druidh – with you on this one but keen to see opinions. dhb bib longs did me great last winter 😀

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I think it’s a good idea sometimes, especially for long, muddy rides from home. It’s warmer, you’ve got pockets to keep stuff in, the shorts keeps the crud off you and apart from anything else it makes things a lot easier when you get home as you can ditch the muddy baggies at the door and head to the shower with some semblance of decency without treading god knows what into the carpet.

legend
    Free Member

TBH, I think the whole “baggy” thing really is just fashion driven.

you see, i think the opposite – why on earth would i want to dress in spandex just to tide my bike?? not going fast enough for aero benefits, and if i crash there’s a good chance it’ll vanish – sweet!

chalkntrees
    Free Member

Baggies over lycra here too. I’m not under any illusion that it looks good, but it’s handy to take the muddy, wet baggies off when driving home. Plus they help to keep me warmer, add extra padding and of course prevent the budgie smuggler look. 😯

trailmonkey

TBH, I think the whole “baggy” thing really is just fashion driven.

and ?

are you saying that you’re impervious to fashion in every other aspect of your life ?

legend
    Free Member

prevent the budgie smuggler look

ah yes that look 🙄

loddrik
    Free Member

Hummvees over lycra here too

toonfan
    Free Member

The look of horror on some poor ladies face in Ambleside years ago, was enough to persuade me in the way of the baggy short over the tights.. 😳

iainc

Maybe i need to try the baggies….

Stevo210
    Free Member

Im interested to know, as a lot of riders use knee pads, using the Lycra route, do the pads sit well over the Lycra longs. Or for the warmth on the legs is it best to go for long baggies with the pads underneath?

thomthumb
    Free Member

baggies over keeps the mud from soaking through.

when it’s properly cold (cold and dry) then lycra is fine.

i think lycra is just fashion really – middle aged men want to look like world cup racers.

RoterStern
    Free Member

i think lycra is just fashion really – middle aged men want to look like world cup racers.

I don’t quite see how lycra can be seen as pure fashion. Fit for purpose would sum it up better IME.

hilldodger
    Free Member

chalkntrees – Member
    ….. prevent the budgie smuggler look.

If it’s cold enough for full longs then there’s not much budgie to smuggle 😳

kerv
    Free Member

Surely Legends photo’ ends the debate, us blokes just look ridiculous in Lycra. On the road I can see the reason for it (baggies flappin’ in the wind). Baggies over Lycra all the way on the mtb.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d say it depends where you ride non?

Me, long forest singletrack with bramble lined smalltrack and mix of hard/squelch trails..

Baggies over lycra keeps brambles and other vines tagging my lycra also keeps me warm. If it’s really cold and gloopy then I’ll happily don long legs/baggies combo.

Are you trying to impress someone by wear torn lycra?

crazy-legs

If I’m just wearing shorts then baggies over is fine – I might wear them or not.
    Baggies over lycra tights looks even worse than just lycra tights IMO. Although I’d wear waterproof shorts over tights if needed. As said above, most people on a bike look faintly ridiculous to non-cyclists so it doesn’t really matter much!

iainc

generally mixed singletrack 2-3 hr rides, often mixed company 😳 I usually wear padded shorts and then lycra tights/bibs without liner. Sometimes if it’s really hosing I will stick on my Altutra Attack’s but feels a bit bulky with effectively 3 ‘pairs of trousers’

being 40 plus and style unconscious I also use mudguards, so the whole grit protection thing doesn’t factor in

BadlyWiredDog

Like anyone would give a flying ferret what you lot think. Wear what you like, like what you wear and give everyone else a break… 😕

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Baggies is a massive British “thing”, in Colorado last summer they were all in lycra.lots of people racing in lycra at oktoberfest and lots of them shouldn’t not pleasant sites. I wear baggies as i don’t want to subject people to me in tight lucrative of which I don’t find it comfortable.

crikey
    Free Member

Tight lucrative?

How much do you ask them to pay?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Are internet fora the death knell of certain people’s ability to make decisions themselves?

wwaswas

Are internet fora the death knell of certain people’s ability to make decisions themselves?

yes.

err, no.

no, yes.

*achieves an agony of indecision*

smell_it
    Free Member

Waterproof shorts over lycra on the mtb in the worst of winter. Baggies over lycra on my road commute to work as i work with loads of totty, it’s purely a vanity thing. I did give them a choice by catwalking my athletic* figure around work in full lycra, and they chose baggies.

*some may say scrawny.

votchy
    Free Member

If it’s cold and dry then normal baggies, if it’s cold and wet then waterproof baggies, no longs here you bunch of gheyers 😀 worked ok last winter and the winter before when temps hit -10 (and this was in the midlands so I’m not even a rock ‘ard northerner!!!!). Coupled with gore phantom n2s top this was plenty warm enough once you get pedalling.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

done it a few times with only lycra – didnt enjoy it as ended up with soggy botty….

used to wear endura singletrack shorts over the top, but didnt like to wash them that much as i love the shorts…

so gone to lycra with gorebikewear alp x waterproof shorts over the top…

perfect combo, super light soft shell, keeps wind off legs, any mud after the ride generally brushes off easily with towel, and whats more you can bung them in the washer with no special proofers/cleaners etc etc and as they are that light they dry super super super quick….

if its absolutly lashing it it down, i go for my dhb event waterproof trousers….again a big pain to wash and reproof though

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

After years of ronhills over bibs or under bagies, I discovere roubaix longs last year. Won’t be wearing anything else on my legs this year!

Ohh and compression fit tops rock, sleveless under a long jersy at the moment, long sleved probably next month.

tops5
    Free Member

grahamg
    Free Member

As a roadie moving over to the muddy side, this discussion is pretty amusing… like the ‘is wearing team kit wrong?’ on a road bike forum 😉

Lycra is the pure comfort element (there is no debate to be had here!) and the baggies add practicality – with the likelihood of having a spill infinitely higher than on the road, and the presence of vegetation to pull/snag clothing, why would you risk ruining your tights?

I can see some exceptions though; top one being endurance events – comfort again and also at race pace nothing beats skint tight stuff for temperature control/wicking properties etc.

grahamg
    Free Member

oh, and from a ‘style’ point of view. I’m over thirty so my give a shit’o’meter is moving gradually towards zero with every birthday… I love having no shame.

mikey74
    Free Member

I have worn baggies over lycra for years and found it to be by far and away the comfiest and most practical option for all weathers, ranging from mid 30s in Spain to below freezing and soaking wet in this country.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘winter etiquette…….baggies over lycra’ is closed to new replies.