Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Winter clobber?
  • powerofqman
    Free Member

What’s everyone wearing to go riding in this weather? I am going riding on Sunday and need to kit myself out with nearly all new winter gear.

What you all wearing as I’ve not really ridden in this extreme cold before? Was looking at trying to get everything from Sports Direct if possible?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Merino, (prob not from SD)

daleftw
    Free Member

Amongst other things, I’ve been wearing this – http://shop.resultclothing.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_36&products_id=818

Great piece of kit for the price.

senorj

tights ,
    winter boots/over shoes – or walking boots ,
    wool socks,
    windproof/waterproof gloves,
    Wind proof/breathable top over various layers,
    Waterproof top as a last resort.
    Set off cold and you’ll be right. Add and remove layers to suit.

I took the wrong gloves with me on Saturday a.m.- feeling in my hands returned after 2 hours.

alexpalacefan

Hands and feet will be your coldest bits.

Be sure what you have is waterproof if there may be rain. And make sure they’re not too tight, that will restrict blood-flow and make extremities even colder.

Also, get one of those head-band ear-warmer things, the last thing you want is cold tabs!

Have a good time,

APF

martinhutch

Ron Hills. Sprayway waterproof trousers turned into shorts with nail scissors. Wife’s thermals. Dodgy regatta fleece. Dubious Sealskinz socks. Age-old Karrimor approach shoes. Funny-looking Patagonia neck-warmer thing. Blue fingerless gloves revealing my frostbitten stubs.

The epitome of dashing style. Quite warm though.

MoreCashThanDash

Today I commuted in a lon sleeve Bamboo Clothing base layer, an old coolmax base layer over that, dhb bib longs, some merino trekking socks, Altura Dryline 3/4s and a Night Vision jacket. Buff, roubaix skull cap under the helmet and Aldi winter gloves. I looked a prat, but I was a warm prat….

Spud

I bought some of the Roubaix bibs from Ridebosh last week, wore them on Friday when it was Baltic out and they’re great. Can’t go wrong for £31! Either. Been wearing bibs with two/ three thin layers, jacket and the usual Buffs, gloves and overshoes. Not been cold yet.

gee
    Free Member

Sadly I don’t really do being cold so here goes…

Assos Airblock 851 windproof bib tights no pad
    Castelli Sorpasso bib 3/4 when v cold, shorts when not
    Craft long sleeve base layer
    Assos 851 jacket and if v cold Assos Intermediate jacket underneath.
    Skullcap
    Woolie Boolie socks (brilliant and cheap)
    Shimano RW-80 boots
    Gore inner gloves
    Specialized Deviant (?) waterproof gloves

Works out at a lot of money now I’ve written it all out but I’m not cold while I’m cycling…

GB

thomthumb
    Free Member

ground effect tops are ace this time of year.

mostly been wearing;

base layer + bib shorts
    on one winter top
    ground effect hoody (hood removed)
    altura night vision gloves
    endura tights
    merino socks
    specialixed defroster boots
    skull cap.

commuting has been – one top + yello waterproof.

looks like a long list!!

DezB
    Free Member

You can kit your top half out from Sportsdirect

http://www.sportsdirect.com/mfx-elite-series-winter-jacket-mens-635058
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/campri-thermal-base-layer-top-mens-402014?colcode=40201403
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-cycling-long-sleeve-shirt-mens-636181?colcode=63618190

Similar on the bottom half.
    get some snowboard gloves from there too to keep your mitts warm.

Silly how you obviously ask for budget stuff and people start quoting Assos, merino and the like!

gee
    Free Member

The reason I’ve bought that stuff is that the cheaper stuff I’ve bought in the past fell apart after not even one winter. All my Assos stuff was bought in 2006 when I worked in the trade and is still brilliant. Money well spent. 14hrs riding a week all winter just ruined the cheap stuff.

GB

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Full set of aldi winter gear today – trousers, shirt,jumper,jacket. Nice and toasty all ride

Klunk
    Free Member

merino short sleeve base + merino jersey + endura soft shell
    merino base longs + normal baggies(with liner) + knee warmers
    polar buff
    wooly hat
    summer socks + sports socks + winter boots
    cannondale carbon gloves
    i also carry a spare base layer and some thin woolen glove liners

fenred
    Free Member

Currently:

Altura base LS Jersey
    t-shirt (whatever is clean)
    SS Fox race top
    RF Aquanot jacket
    Polaris 3/4’s
    Next/choice combat shorts
    661 Kyle strait Knee pads (toastie knees)
    2 pairs of socks
    Polar buff (neck)
    Normal buff (bald head under lid :D)
    Spesh sub zero gloves.

Feel like the ready brek kid 8)

powerofqman
    Free Member

Thanks for the info everyone.

I know what your saying Gee. It is worth buying decent kit if you can afford it. I’ll probably end up buying better stuff in dribs and drabs rather than all in one hit which I need to do now.

You can kit your top half out from Sportsdirect

http://www.sportsdirect.com/mfx-elite-series-winter-jacket-mens-635058
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/campri-thermal-base-layer-top-mens-402014?colcode=40201403
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-cycling-long-sleeve-shirt-mens-636181?colcode=63618190

Similar on the bottom half.
    get some snowboard gloves from there too to keep your mitts warm.

Silly how you obviously ask for budget stuff and people start quoting Assos, merino and the like!

The first two items you’ve chose there DezB, I already have in my basket! 🙂

What can you recommend for the bottom half from SD? I was looking at either these:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-cycle-bib-tights-mens-635040?colcode=63504003

or these:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-padded-cycling-tights-mens-635038?colcode=63503803

Is it just best to wear some 3/4 shorts over the top of the above or should I be looking at anything more substantial?

Thanks guys!

fenred
    Free Member

OP- Avoid bibs if you can…If you need a wee-wee mid ride you’re absolutely fubbbard with winter gear on and bibs 😉

powerofqman
    Free Member

Ha ha. I hadn’t thought of that! Thanks fenred!

iainc

in house Wiggle stuff – dhb, is very good, merino base layers, socks, leggings. I have a few of their things and they are as good as my Gore stuff at 1/4 of the price

lee93
    Free Member

If im on my mtb! on top I have a skins compression long sleeved top and a dh fox long sleeved top if it’s really cold I’ll put a hoody on or a rab micro fleece always carry a waterproof jacket in my bag!
    On the bottom half I use ski socks pulled up with skins copression shorts with knee pads and waterproof shorts !gloves I use sealskins and five tens as shoes.
    If I’m on my road bike I use endura thermal bib tights and a good thick sock top half my skins compression top and a mavic wind/waterprof jacket also a Ron hill hat under my lid and the same gloves.
    You will feel cold as you start but as you get going you will soon warm up better to wear to much than to little.

takisawa2

Decathlon, if there is one near. They do some pretty good kit. My running / riding longs are Karrimor ones from Sports Direct. About £12. Don’t bother with waterproof trousers. The longs get wet but they dry quickly. Jacket wise, an Altura Nevis is good value. Under that a base layer & if its really cold a thin fleece. Aldi neoprene gloves are excellent. And finally overshoes. Endura MT500.

matt_outandabout

Tights and waterproof shorts, merino baselayer, thin fleece and Paramo jacket. Merino socks, and some rubbish Lake winter boots. Buff n bunnet. Thin gloves, with option of 2nd warm pair or the silly huuuuuge mitts if needed.
    Never needed more, even in -10 commutes last year.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

GET A BUFF FOR CERTAIN.

_tom_
    Free Member

Up until last night I’d been ok with 2 pairs of socks (one thin merino one thick hiking socks), thinsulate gloves, trackie bottoms, 2 berghaus tech t’s and a thin jacket. Last night was horrible though, raw/numb hands feet and ears within 20 minutes. Will be trying 2 pairs of gloves tonight and I need a beanie or something to keep the ears warm.

cp

Love the description in those muddy fox tights – padded undercarriage 🙂

I find taking a leak in bibs fine, easier with a zip or low front, but even.with a high front, where there’s s will there’s a way, and I find the benefits of warmth and no waist compression far outweigh inconvenience.

It’s taken me years to get to a cosy set up, but I’m pretty much there:

Dhb bib tights – padded
    Helly Hansen ‘warm’ base layer
    Cycle shorts over the top with pad cut out or no pad
    Endura windchill windproof jacket
    Merino socks
    Normal bike shoes
    Endura lumilite overshoes
    Endura dexter gloves
    Very thin cheap decathlon gloves under the above for Baltic road use
    buff under the helmet when sub zero

atlaz
    Free Member

Warm feet and hands and make sure you have a rain jacket. The latter isn’t just about the rain either, if you notice your core temp dropping (usually happens for me after a stop), then pop it on to keep the wind off you until you’re hot again. The only other thing I worry about is my knees being warm as it causes me problems for days if not. I’ll wear shorts whatever the weather generally.

So my super-cold weather setup is:
    Normal shoes.
    Overshoes if I’m going clipless
    Shorts
    Knee pads on MTB or Knee warmers on road
    Merino base layer, LS jersey, jacket
    Rain coat
    Skully or buff under helmet
    WINTER GLOVES

Actually as I write that it’s quite a lot of stuff

hainman
    Free Member

i bought some karrimor waterproof walking boots from SD and they are great in the cold.also bought some running tights from there to.also have a wee look in tk maxx,they usualy have some good softshells.

DezB
    Free Member

Personally, I’d wear a pair of (baggy) shorts over the tights, just for a warmer bum.

Hardest thing to keep warm will be your feet – so you should get some decent wool socks if you can.

What do you wear on your feet riding?

Mounty_73

Head to toe…

Endura cap
    Buff
    Merino wool base layer
    MT500 Jersey
    Gillet
    661 winter gloves with sealskinz liner glove if needed
    3/4 shorts
    Merino socks with Sealskinz over the top.

In camelbak;

Paramo windproof.
    Spare beanie

therag
    Free Member

Buffs are ace for winter, pack of 3 for about £6 in tk max.

piha
    Free Member

I don’t know if it’s been suggested but I tend to stick an extra layer (like a waterproof) in my rucksack just in case I get a mechanical or puncture and end up faffing about for 20 or 30 minutes on the side of the trail. You will really start to feel the cold quickly when you’re not moving much.

br
    Free Member

Endura Stealth jacket and trousers, long-sleeve baselayer, padded undershorts, skull-cap, SealSkinz thick/long socks and gloves, normal SPD shoes and Endura overshoes.

Although as I’m going out tonight for a ride, this morning I wore shorts – and it was bloody freezing!

rootes1

Hands and feet will be your coldest bits.

keeping legs and arms warm helps keep the bits of the end warm – other wise you will be cooling the blood on the way down the ends..

I don’t know if it’s been suggested but I tend to stick an extra layer (like a waterproof) in my rucksack just in case I get a mechanical or puncture and end up faffing about for 20 or 30 minutes on the side of the trail. You will really start to feel the cold quickly when you’re not moving much.

Top tip.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Winter clobber?’ is closed to new replies.