Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Winter boots, where are we these days?
  • NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi all, sadly my Northwave Celsius boots are on their last legs. These have been great boots and probably the 3rd pair I have had.
    Downsides were that the outer part of the boot was fabric, rather than leather or synthetic so was prone to wear, the tops dont seal that well so water runs down your shins into the boot. But generally a good winter option.
    The design seems to have changed so the new version is more like a shoe with a neoprene sock. I really prefer a boot due to slightly wonky ankles.

The price is way up near £200 now , but as they last well I can appreciate that its ok value.
    Been looking around at some other options

Shimano MW5 Dryshield SPD are a lot less expensive but are they any good?

Lake MXZ 303

Sidizero 2

if im spending nearly £200 i want a few years out of them! Any recommendations or anyone gone from northwave to another and found something good?

Some of these are sold on the deporvillage site that I have never bought from. Any experiences?

onehundredthidiot

45nrth great boots. I have the japanther.

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

I’ve been using my 45nrth’s for 4 winters now and they’ve been excellent.

scotroutes

Bontrager OMW

matt_outandabout

Do look carefully – my (ancient admittedly) Lake winter boots are waterproof and insulated upper.

On uninsulated sole with hoofing big SPD plate and access hole. They are both wet and cold from below…

stayhigh

An uncannily timely thread as after almost ten years my Northwave Celsius boots are also approaching the end of their days! I am genuinely sad about this as they have been completely bombproof but are now starting to wet through in the fabric sections and taking forever to dry so following with interest to see what the alternatives are.

bruneep

Bontrager OMW

+1

onewheelgood

I’m on my second pair of Specialized Defrosters. These are 3 years old, previous pair lasted 7 or 8. Completely waterproof and warm enough for me in all but the most extreme conditions.

teamslug
    Free Member

Just got some Northwave Himalayas. Can’t yet vouch for their waterproofing yet but they are the warmest boots I’ve ever had. Ridden in sub zero for a couple of hours with some thinnish merino wool socks and never noticed my feet. Might be a bit extreme as they are more like ‘fat bike’ boots in a 45nrth kind of way. I have some Shimano MW7’s which i really like but was starting to suffer when they got wet. They take ages to dry out. I sized up on the Northwaves and they have lots of wiggle room in the toe box but feel nice and fitted.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I have tried MW7`s. Great at keeping feet warm but useless in the wet. As said they take ages to dry out, and i also found them to be a bit bulky and heavy. I am close to clicking the button on a pair of Sidi Zero as they look less bulky and i use sidi shoes everywhere else.
    Staying warm is easy, unless its wet. Keeping cold water out of whatever shoe seems to be the golden ticket. I have tried neoprene gaiters, a friends has tries spatz, i am about to go back to waterproof socks and overshoes. Last resort will be £200 on the sidis and overshoes with a tight neoprene cuff.

mccraque

could’ve done with this thread last week as have pulled the trigger on some Shimano MW5’s.

I’ve snapped the boa equivalent on my NW Celcius…what an awful design for winter that is. have ordered a new closure system – so hopefully the shoes won’t go to waste. Didn’t find them quite as warm as the manufacturer claimed though.

I keep seeing the Planet X cheap and cheerful ones on offer. Has anyone real world experience with these?

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Re: deportvillage… they’re one of those places that say they have stock but don’t always. Bought some shoes everything was fine. Bought some drivetrain stuff, only half of it turned up and had to chase multiple times to get refunded.

mccraque

Re Deportvillage – they weren’t shipping to the UK yesterday when I tried to buy a hydration bladder.

hardtailonly

I’ve the MW5’s for just over a year. As my first pair of winter boots, they’ve been a game-changer for me. Warm enough and water-proof enough for my feet to remain comfortable in anything the UK weather has had to throw at me, both on and off road, for 1-4 hour rides.

They were reasonably cheap too, under £100 IIRC.

There may well be better, or more long-lasting, boots, but these have been an excellent introduction to comfortable feet in winter riding for me …

IdleJon

I have tried MW7`s. Great at keeping feet warm but useless in the wet. As said they take ages to dry out, and i also found them to be a bit bulky and heavy.

I have sent my new MW7s back to Madison today as they aren’t even vaguely waterproof. After one 12 mile, all paved commute home, I poured a third of a pint out of water out of each boot*. This weekend on a normal, wet Welsh ride, I got home with socks soaked through. If it isn’t a warranty issue, it’s a ‘not fit for purpose’ problem. I never experienced this with my old Northwaves and normal shoes with neoprene overshoes would be more effective at keeping out water, if not being quite so warm.

*Obviously the water is getting into the boots, but not getting out, so they are waterproof somewhere! I’m wearing trousers outside the boot top, so it’s not running straight in.

swanny853

Mavic crossmax thermo something are pretty good at the light end of the spectrum. I don’t think I’ve ever had wet feet that I couldn’t obviously attribute to having got wet legs first.

They aren’t especially warm- I’d say tending to ‘not ventilated’ rather than ‘insulated’- but the trade off is that they feel a bit less clumpy to ride in than the equivalent shimano boots.

Just need to clean and oil the zip occasionally to keep everything running smoothly. Zips on shoes isn’t my favourite decision but this one seems ok.

gavstorie
    Free Member

I just bought a new pair of Lake MXZ303’s to replace my old worn out ones. They are really good, Never had any issues with cold coming through from the cleat mount. Same goes for water.

One of the best investments I’ve ever made. It makes biking in the winter much more bearable.

supernova

I really rate my Lake MXZ303s for UK winter conditions, right up to the point today where I crashed off my bike on an icy track and tore the boa dial clean off.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Defrosters, warmest I’ve had and with the best ankle closure. Not keen on the current colour and they can squeak if rubbing against cranks with clear tape.

After problems with the first pair of Northwave Raptors shrinking I recently got a second pair, since they were a size bigger and half price. Stiff, very comfortable, no sign of shrinkage. Bit of a gap around the ankle, which I’ve got GripGrab Gaiters to remedy (annoying to get on but highly recommended). However it really shouldn’t be that difficult to design the ankle without a gap, my old pair were fine and Specialized managed it. Also had the SLW2 jam up with mud, just needs cleaning out but not experienced this with a proper Boa in eight years.

Also happened to get a pair of discounted Fizik Artica X5. Comfortable, very nicely made, great to walk in with a proper rubber sole. The ankle is quite stiff but seems to be slowly breaking in. I had to stitch the tongue behind the zip in place because it just slid round to the side. Pair about 160g heavier than Northwaves. Not particularly stiff considering they’re apparently carbon reinforced. Zip leaks slightly but nothing that’s going to get feet wet. I expect problems with the zip in the long run. Slightly behind Specialized and Northwave for warmth. Cleat slot too far forward IMO.

Are Shimano MW5 sealed at the cleat? Heard maybe not but perhaps someone can confirm.

roverpig

I got some Shimano MW7s a couple of months ago. Nothing to compare them to other than normal cycling shoes but they’ve kept my toes toasty down to below freezing. I did get them a size bigger so I can fit a walking sock and a waterproof sock inside.

Mole
    Free Member

I’ve got some defrosters just recently because I’ve been suffering big time with cold feet. Not feeling the warmth at all..so either need some seriously warm socks or go extreme winter boot. Been checking out Lorpen inferno expedition socks(£65!)..if they don’t work nothing will!

tonyg2003

Defrosters and waterproof trousers for me is keeping me completely dry. Sometimes I add a pair of socks for added warmth. This week – well below zero all ride I added a chemical hand warmer to both foot on top of the foot / toes. Toasty warm all ride.

smiffy

Anyone else stuck Yeti gaiters on MTB shoes, or is it just me?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I’ve just had a pair of NW Celsius boots delivered from Wiggle. I’m usually a UK size 9/EU 43 and that is the size I ordered. I’ve never had an issue with size 9’s and sometimes got away with a size 8 or 8.5 but these are very tight and particularly narrow. Are NW generally as small and narrow fit?

Will just return and get the next size up but just wondering if I might need the next size beyond by the time I’ve put a couple of pairs of socks on.

Thanks.

turboferret

Another vote for Bontrager here – they are built a bit like snowboard boots with a semi-rigid outer shell, and a removable insulated bootee which goes inside. I tried quite a few combinations before these and have been really impressed.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Are NW generally as small and narrow fit?

Yes.

IdleJon

Are NW generally as small and narrow fit?

Yes.

Another yes from here. I’ve got a pair of size 44 NW Raptors on my desk, ready to ride home in. (Replacement for the dodgy waterlogging MW7s). I’m normally 43, but even the size 44 NWs are quite narrow, to the extent I may not be able to wear thick socks. (Possibly not necessary, if memory serves me right about my old NW Celsius boots.)

fasthaggis

Yup,I also went for NW Raptor Artic GTXs (two sizes up) and a set of Grip Grab Gaiters.

As mudeverywhere says,with the cuffs they are a barsteward to get on,but I am hoping that with the Gaiters I won’t need to bother with shoecovers now.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thanks. looks like I’ll go two sizes up then.

ransos
    Free Member

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I’ve just had a pair of NW Celsius boots delivered from Wiggle. I’m usually a UK size 9/EU 43 and that is the size I ordered. I’ve never had an issue with size 9’s and sometimes got away with a size 8 or 8.5 but these are very tight and particularly narrow. Are NW generally as small and narrow fit?

Will just return and get the next size up but just wondering if I might need the next size beyond by the time I’ve put a couple of pairs of socks on.

My NW road shoes are 44 but I needed 45 for the Celsius boots.

Sui
    Free Member

Ive got a some MW7’s too, i have had 1 ride with wet feet, but it tipped it down and i rode through lots of puddles, so not surprising really. I did notice that the water seems to track down the inner tongue bit if your trousers and the flap is not fully pulled over. Still feet kept warm.

b33k34

I have sent my new MW7s back to Madison today as they aren’t even vaguely waterproof. After one 12 mile, all paved commute home,

Odd, I’m really happy with mine. I’d thought that the tongue wasn’t waterproof but looked again and it seems to have a goretex back. The neoprene wrap around the angle isn’t but then that’s no different to the older Shimano W101s. Fit true to size – I wear a 46 in other Shimano shoes, these are sized to take a thick sock at the same size (and still be able to move my toes).

I’ve hosed them off while wearing them without getting wet feet but as soon as it’s running down your legs its going to go through the neoprene cuff

dovebiker

Anyone else stuck Yeti gaiters on MTB shoes, or is it just me?

Rovaniemi

Yes, have them on my 45Nrth Wolvhammers – used them in the arctic winter a few times. A with walking/climbing boots they need to be fairly stiff boots, otherwise they’ll pop-off the front. These are the GoreTex ones but still had lots of frozen condensation on the inside. Boots are only rated to -18C so did start to feel it a bit when standing around on frozen lakes at -25C and below.

Nick

On my second pair of Shimano XM9s / SPD walking boot, brilliant, will probably buy another pair when I wear these out in about 5 years.

IA

I’m on my second pair of Specialized Defrosters. These are 3 years old, previous pair lasted 7 or 8. Completely waterproof and warm enough for me in all but the most extreme conditions.

+1 to the above, exactly the same experience with two pairs of defrosters, down to the timescales.

IdleJon

Odd, I’m really happy with mine. I’d thought that the tongue wasn’t waterproof but looked again and it seems to have a goretex back.

Odd, as you say. On a normal (ie not torrential or flooded) wet winter ride in my previous Northwaves I’d expect to have damp feet at worst, not to have to be able to wring water out of my socks, as I did last weekend. Also, a friend has MW7s as well, rides in the same places as often as I do and hasn’t reported any problems. Anyway, they’ve gone and my new NWs kept my feet warm this morning.

chrisdb
    Free Member

After freezing my feet off for 3 hours on NYD and almost having to cut a ride short because of it I’ve decided to order a proper set of winter boots for mainly road with a bit of gravel and mtb thrown in. I’ve gone for the Northwave Extreme XC to run with SPDs – I’m usually a 10.5/11 UK and ordered a 46. Size guide says a NW 46 is a UK12 (?) so no idea how they are going to fit!

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Received some Northwave Celsius boots today. Size 10 feet so ordered EU46. Tried them on with thick winter socks and they felt sufficiently roomy in both width and height. Quite comfortable to be honest and I like a wide last such as my Lakes have.

But I’m sending them back for two reasons. I prefer the Boa system a) because they’re free to replace when they break and b) because they’re less fiddly than Northwaves’ dials. That little catch to unlock annoyed me after less than 5 minutes of use.

The second reason is I feel that the neoprene ankle gaitor isn’t tall enough. I bought them thinking the gaitors would fit under my leggings but they’re too short, significantly shorter than the Pearl Izumi WXB shoe covers that I currently use on the road. I think I’ll go for the Specialized Defrosters next but not until the summer when they should have dropped in price. For off-road I’ll stick to using waterproof socks with my summer shoes for the time being.

My favourite shoe brand Lake haven’t really dialled the lightweight winter boot yet (not waterproof) although their heavier boots which, although having just sold a pair, are great.

roverpig

Fit true to size – I wear a 46 in other Shimano shoes, these are sized to take a thick sock at the same size (and still be able to move my toes)

This is a good point for anyone considering the MW7s. I went a size bigger than normal (46 vs 45 normally) and they are very roomy. I suspect the 45s would have been fine most of the time, but it is nice being able to fit a thick hiking sock plus waterproof socks in there now that January is here.

convert

After a similar thread I bought some Northwave extreme xc gtx winter boots but I sent them back. Came up small for me so I’d need the size larger. Also it was the devils work to get my feet through the neoprene collar. These are/were intended for both road commute, gravel and mtb duties (when not on flats). The tension system feels/looks pretty vulnerable if I’m honest – maybe betting in action than in the living room. Sole super stiff though – a priority for road riding comfort for me but maybe less so off road. And as said the collar is still pretty low. I can see why it’s not higher after the faff getting my foot in but even so…

I might just keep using the shoes I’ve got and fiddle around with socks and overshoe options. It’s currently -5deg outside and I’ve not seen +ve temperature since new year so I feel I ‘deserve’ winter boots more than most but need to find the right pair for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Winter boots, where are we these days?’ is closed to new replies.