Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Winter boots (B2 rated) for Duck Feet
  • piemonster

Is there such a thing as a genuinely wide B2 rated boot?

I’ve looked and found nowt, well, actually I found some recommendations for my current (now on eBay) boots. Which aren’t wide enough.

csb

I’ve got wide feet and find scarpa sl m3 comfy. Mine are a few years old. Not sure what they are now called.

BadlyWiredDog

Some of the Hanwag alpine boots are deliberately wider lasted and might be worth a look. Scarpa is generally reckoned to be wide fitting, but it’s all relative. Salewa too.

Your best bet is to try a bunch on before buying. I know that’s obvious, but badly fitting mountain boots – check for heel hold too – are a nightmare worth avoiding.

piemonster

Its Scarpa I’m selling, and they (Charmoz) are nowhere near wide enough. Genuinely painfully narrow.

piemonster

Your best bet is to try a bunch on before buying. I know that’s obvious, but badly fitting mountain boots – check for heel hold too – are a nightmare worth avoiding.

Yeh, I did that. Then my arches collapsed, this has been corrected largely but my foot shape is still wider than before.

I’ve seen a couple of hopeful looking posts about Salewa but they appear to have some supply chain issues due to Brexit presently which is making finding a boot to try an issue.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s a gear and equipment section on walkhighlands forum, with asking there.

ElShalimo

Do they have to be B2? A good C1 crampon is usually enough for winter walking or are you doing some scrambling/climbing?

If you’re not doing tough climbing these come in 5 width fittings. My wife has a pair and has used them many times with Grivel C1 crampons

https://www.altberg.co.uk/boots/mallerstang1

wbo
    Free Member

I’d agree that Charmoz aren’t very wide… it’s true to say though that some Scarpa boots are wide though ? Ribelles of some flavour? Manta’s? Have you asked Scarpa – they are normally pretty helpful, but eventually I think you need to go ot a shop – selecting online will be difficult

ElShalimo

Also, you don’t necessarily need specific wide fitting boots as sometimes winter boots can be much higher volume to accommodate two pairs of socks or 1 pair of expedition thickness socks.

My 2003 Scarpa Manta boots are not that wide but have a high volume last so strangely fit my size 46 wide feet. When they changed the style a few years later they went back to being  general medium last.

Having said that modern boots tend to be closer fitting so Martin from accounts can feel like he’s Uli Steck walking up Kinder Scout in the snow

BadlyWiredDog

+1 for the Charmoz being quite a snug, technical last, though not ‘narrow’ per se compared to, say, the Arc’teryx double boot. The Manta Pro was a more generous fit, might be worth trying the latest version.

Hanwag, if you can find some, make really good boots. I think the Makra Combi uses their Alpin Wide last, so that may be worth a look.

convert

Charmoz broke me too. Apparently Scarpa have moved other boots like the manta to the same last which is bad news for me.

I bought some Mammut Magic High after the Scarpa which I love. At the flexy end for a b2 (but stiff than a B1) but for Scottish mountain walking, rather than anything more full on, I think that might be the sweet spot.

Edit – looks like they are now discontinued so further research into their range, or finding old stock might be needed.

Joe

It’s such a subjective question because all our heals are so different. So it’s not just about straight width. I have very wide forefeet and found i could just size up in sportiva nepals,.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

No-one makes a proper wide fit B2 boot, the lasts are all the wrong shape deforming your big and little toes and leading to bunions. Arches don’t need supporting they need strengthening. If you care about your feet sell your winter gear and do something different instead.

My feet were too wide for Altberg boots, they told me I’d need full custom, but they still put on the same sole units so the boot would be wider than the sole, surefire route to sprained ankles. Plus they’d be too wide for crampons to fit.

BadlyWiredDog

No-one makes a proper wide fit B2 boot, the lasts are all the wrong shape deforming your big and little toes and leading to bunions.

Slightly tangentially, Hanwag also does a bunion-specific version of some of its walking boots if anyone’s looking for such a thing.

grahamt1980

Charmoz as said are way too narrow. I find the manta fitted better.
    You have to go somewhere to try on a load really

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Slightly tangentially, Hanwag also does a bunion-specific version of some of its walking boots if anyone’s looking for such a thing.

Ironically they have designed a boot that is shaped to make your bunion even worse.

jimmy

I have Raichle boots, both summer and winter and they’re very comfy for my wide feet. I think Mammut bought Raichle, so whenever I need new boots I’ll be trying them first.

piemonster

You have to go somewhere to try on a load really

I do absolutely,  but if there are likely candidates not in the shop(s) I first try it may also be worth identifying them and finding a shop that do have them.

duckman

Used to wear Scarpa SL’s. The edition launched about 10 years ago was narrower so I switched to Alt-Bergs, they resole them at the factory for £50 last time so another bonus, the come in 3 or 4 width fittings.

footflaps

Plus they’d be too wide for crampons to fit.

Crampon goes underneath the sole, so doesn’t really matter how wide the boot is.

My favourite winter boots was the Scarpa vegas with the separate inner boot.

anjs
    Free Member

Have you tried any Meindl boots?

williampaullog
    Free Member

must wear most comfortable cowboy boots during visint in forest.

piemonster

Forgot to respond to this. Cheers for the suggestions all.

I’ve a few candidates/retailers to try from this. Although it’s been bumped down the list one place and I’m going to source a pair of studded orienteering shoes first. Which will actually see more use, well, assuming I can find some that fit but choices are far more limited so an easier choice at least.

slowoldman

My Mantas are quite kind to my bunions. Try a pair on.

TheDTs
    Free Member

As said above, Mammut and Meindle for wide feet’s.

kimura54321

I have proper wide feet, Meindl Bhutan has been fine for walking and OK with step in basket crampons for non-climbing winter bits. Admittedly mostly used for muddy climbing approaches and scrambling.

Would recommend them unless you are doing proper winter mountaineering with front pointing into hard ice etc.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Winter boots (B2 rated) for Duck Feet’ is closed to new replies.