Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Winter Boots
  • generallevi
    Free Member

Rode the beast at Coed Y Brenin Saturday and got caught in the mother of all thunderstorms. Even with Seal Skin mid length and Shimano Winter boots after a few hours water crept in and they became a bit on the useless side. However, they got us round and my issue is with the following day.

The boots were obviously still soaking and made a Sunday ride a bit of a chore. Problem is the manufacturer says not to put em on the radiator or any direct heat. So my question is does anyone have any cheeky underground tips on how to get them back to a useable state as quickly as poss?

It’s Thursday now, they are in the boiler cupboard, newspapered to the gills and still a touch damp. I’m sure this must apply to normal riding shoes also and I imagine would be even worse. When my DX’s got wet in Morzine it was like that till home time 😉

All the best,
    Lee.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I have put mine on the radiator before and they didn’t explode or anything [shrugs]

generallevi
    Free Member

Fair one. I’m thinking they say it more for the buggers shrinking….. 😉

russianbob
    Free Member

A nappy, inside out, in each one.

generallevi
    Free Member

You taking the piss Russian or is that stellar info? 😉

russianbob
    Free Member

Nope, absolutely works.

fathomer

Mine, MW81’s, have been on the radiator on numerous occasions and still seem fine to me.

postierich
    Free Member

Gaitors rock, newspaper in boots sat next to log fire jobs a good un!

nuke

Does it matter if they are a bit damper though? Similar to you, I use Shimano MT60 goretex shoes with mid-length Sealskins and then standard cycling socks…as long as the Sealskins and socks are dry for the next ride, its fine if the MT60s are still a bit damp/musty as there only going to get wet again

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Hair dryer and patience?

brakes
    Free Member

Put em on radiator sole down.
    Hair dryers can melt the glue and cause a stink.

gogg
    Free Member

Most disposable nappies are filled with a “silica gel” type compound, the stuff that’s in the little sachet that stops your goods from getting damp in a shipping container while they weave their way from China.

It will work better than newspaper.

JoeG
    Free Member
    Suggsey
    Free Member

A pair of altura attack trousers and waterproof boots eliminates any wet socks or soaked insides of boots. Loving mine in this shite weather 😆

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I use a Thermic Boot Dryer. Can take a day after hosing the boots out, but only uses a couple of watts.

scotroutes

Gore Tex socks. Then it doesn’t matter if the boots are damp inside.

myheadsashed
    blindboy
    Free Member

In a cupboard with a dehumidifier…dry by the morning

BillOddie

A nappy, inside out, in each one.

he’s right you know….

votchy
    Free Member

Another nappie user here, cheap as chips aldi disposables, dry boots next day, used nappies at MM and boots dried out fairly well between laps (team of 4), but then I use the northwave celcius and have never had water get in unlike the shimano’s 😉

jedi

for coaching, i wear mucking out boots for horse riding. 35 quid. saves me having 4 pairs of flats in various states of drying
    they look a bit special though 🙂

avdave2

Get a pair of the black heavy duty marigolds and cut the hands off. Use whats left over the top of the Sealskinz and the top of the boot and you’ll keep most of the water out even in a downpour.

IHN

I’ve put my MW81s on a radiator numerous times. No issues.

SimonR

Put mine on the radiator quite regularly – had them over 3 years now and still in pretty good condition.

Also got some Lifesystems drying balls which work a treat (they look like juggling balls with some sort of absorbent filling in them).

5thElefant
    Free Member

Mine go on the radiator. No fires yet.

They are useless though. They just fill up with water which can’t drain out.

generallevi
    Free Member

Cheers for all the tips here you lot! Some belters coming out……

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Winter Boots’ is closed to new replies.