Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • winter boot time……..idea's
  • ton

ok, done all the usual suspects.
    shimano wm80……….pulled the lycra cuf off
    shimano mt90………new style are too narrow…old ones were ace
    spesh defrosters……..not very warm and now got a big split in
    lake mz 302…………need a size 3 sizes too big, which they dont make.

spent last winter in 5-10s and merino socks, which was warm but not ideal.

help

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I'm waiting for stock of Northwave Celsius to land – but as per your issue with the Lakes would love to know how they size up compared to their shoes…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Lake do an extra wide fitting – You'll have to get them direct from the states though.

yunki
    Free Member

psychle
    Free Member

I'm thinking of trying the MX140 this year, looks nice to me 🙂

funkynick

psychle.. have you seen an MX140 in the flesh? There really is very little to them. It's just a neoprene sock with like a plastic sandal around the outside. I'd imagine good for wet summer rides, but not so hot in the middle of winter.

After many winters, my Answer Kashmirs are pretty much shot, and am looking about as well. I think the Lakes mxz302 would be my first bet, although I am a little peaved they don't have the wide fittings over here! Then it would be the Northwave… although I am tempted by the cheapish Diadora boots on sale on Ebay at the moment…

EDIT: although saying that, I have just found that All Terrain cycles seem to have the wide ones in stock…

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Diadora E bay jobs are extra wide version – be warned. You have to size up anyway as they are a bit on the short side but they are **** all use if you have narrow feet.

I thought the Lakes were bomproof looking until I read all these stories about them falling apart if you do much walking in them – basically the heel cup stitching detaches from the ankle section.

Goretex boots are useless if you get water in above the ankle – the membrane prevents it getting back out. No way any of the boots on offer can give a proper seal round the ankle so I'd be looking to wear Gore socks too. I reckon Defrosters with Merino socks + Gore socks

ton

got to be honest……….the defrosters are the comfiest winter type boots i have ever used.
    might punt for another pair and try what you suggest Heather Bash

pypdjl
    Free Member

I have a pair of size 48 defrosters for sale if you are interested ton?

giantjason
    Free Member

i would go for some Northwave Celcius boots.

had them several winters and lasting well and keeping my feet nice and dry and warm

racing_ralph
    Free Member

can anyone link to the diadoras one bay please?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Nick, you'd best come visit to try a pair on then. Specialized defrosters (who said the Americans didn't do irony) are cold boots but very waterproof. Silk liners for the deepest winter me thinks.

boobs

I had some northwave celcius's and I pulled the whole thread unit off the footplate, not very impressed at all with that. They were very toasty and comfy too. Hmm mild steel on a winter boot, nice touch.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

5:10s with thin socks + sealskins

monkeychild
    Free Member

Diadora chilis £50 and go two sizes up. I am going to experience toastyness this winter with them coupled with merino socks.

vinnyeh

I've had a pair of Northwave Gran Canions for the last few years. For me they're a lot comfier than most of the winter stuff I've tried, and a flexier sole means they're good for walking when you're pushing as well…
    They've had middling reviews, but they suit me.

MSP

rocky or gore bikewear goretex oversocks, put them over your normal socks, inside your cycling shoe (they arer quite thin but still best if your shoes aren't too tight). Work like sealskins are meant to.
    The problem, with the sealskins is that the majority of the insulation is on the outside of the waterproof membrane, so gets wet and starts transmitting the heat away from the foot instead of actually insulating.

funkynick

Mike… come up to visit? I think I might have to. I'll bring my lights too… ;o)

I tried the defrosters on last year, and didn't really like them that much, although I seem to be getting on okay with a pair of their normal mountain bike shoes at the moment, so may have to try them on again.

But then again, when those Lakes cost £170 I think I might just have to get used to cold feet!

organic355
    Free Member

Ive got these in mtb and road versions, love em, but bloody expensive, and can be on the narrow side:

sillyoldman

Ton – was probably the MW80's predecessor that you tore the neoprene cuff from – was a two strap boot with a neoprene "sock".
    The MW80 has 3 (offset) straps for much better fit, and a neoprene cuff that velcros open and closed – so you can get in/out easily and get a better fit/seal around your ankle.

Old one needed a bit of care to get in/out of, but with the MW80 you'd have to be pretty ham-fisted to damage the cuff.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheap overshoes?

z1ppy

main problem with the MW80's at the moment, if finding the fricken things!

foxyrider, cheaper overshoes are just that, cheap & rubbish.

sillyoldman

Madison have all sizes in stock of MW80's right now.

Ain't no shortage.

sockpuppet

winter boot time……..idea's

learn to punctuate.

then get some more MW80s and treat the cuff like it's [insert simile of something delicate you handle carefully here].

i really like mine!

z1ppy

sillyoldman – Member
    Madison have all sizes in stock of MW80's right now.

Ain't no shortage.

So where are they then? None of my local shops have stock, let alone CRC or Wiggle.. I need to try them on before buying, so saying Madison have stock if **** all help.

sillyoldman

Why don't you ask your LBS to get in a pair for you to try/buy?

The fact that they are available is useful info in your position I'd have thought?

PeterKinsella
    Free Member

Brasher walking boots, they work well with flats, are light, warm and waterproof.

z1ppy

So you think my LBS will get a couple of sets in for me to just try?
    Unfortunately they run businesses, and things like this do not happen.
    None of the local LBS (I have a choice of 5) have any in or were expecting to get any soon…

EDIT: SOM, sorry I understand you trying to be helpful, and have heard Madison have stock, yet none of this stock has manged to hit anyone I can find.

sillyoldman

Do any of your LBS's stock Shimano shoes? Establish your size with another model and order them up.

I understand that they run businesses – that's why they should be happy to encourage you to spend money with them. 😉

z1ppy

Yes they do, and I even have some shimano shoes but I'm not willing to spend £130 without trying them & the next size up. Yes the LBS's will get some but only when there ready, and at the moment they're obviously not ready (two are large chains!).
    Though one promises me he has his on order.. I await in anticipation, but have no patience for a piece of kit that should be in stock!

sillyoldman

Hmmmm.

If you've established your size (if in any doubt, go up a size), order online given that you've tried at your LBS's. I know that the Bike Chain in Edinburgh have some….

z1ppy

:mrgreen: LOL, except anything above size 44.. I do appreciete it, but am coming up against a brick wall on this.

sillyoldman

/Google/

Westbrook cycles have them listed sz 40-48.

Email me (in profile) if you can't find any and I'll put you in touch with someone who has some.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

ebay link to diadoras please?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I've just ordered a pair of MW80s from my LBS. He is matching CRC price of £110 for me. If anyone is interested I can ask him to extend the favour (he's a mate).

funkynick
    Andyhilton
    Free Member

Those diadoras are minging.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Gaerne always get good reviews from friends.

I have had the northwaves for a couple of years and they have been good – however the lacing system has failed; abrasive myd has worn through the lacing tabs and this cannot be fixed. they are now not that comfortable to wear and the boot still has life in it.

I'm definitely buying velcro boots this year.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Flat shoes, sealskin socks, ronhills over the top of the socks to prevent too much water running down.

After years on SPD's it was a revelation to be warm and comfortable through the winter!

And wash everything with nikwax, even shoes.

ton

all a bit frankenstein looking…………. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘winter boot time……..idea's’ is closed to new replies.