Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Winter bike
  • sarell
    Free Member

Afternoon,

I hope you’re all well.
    I’m looking for a winter bike, been pointed to a £600 on-one 45650b (singlespeed – which needs removing)

I ride about 80 miles a week in the winter, trips out I’ll use the s-works, but for commuting, is the On-one ok?
    Mainly ride local trails and road to work, occasionally the canal, 10 – 15 miles to and from work.

Anyone ridden one, ok as a winter sled??

Thanks

igm
    p7eaven
    Free Member

Depending on whether ‘local trails are ‘gravel-able’ or not, what about a 2021 Genesis Flyer plus full guards? Under 11kg, simple sensible singlespeed bike with discs and 37mm tyres? £649 @ Swinnerton (although have seen some < £600 but seem to be getting snapped up)

Otherwise if it’s more MTB gnar than road then seems like you’re on the right track with that On One deal?

sarell
    Free Member

I didn’t realise the new bikes were only £700odd, i can get a pair of forks for it.
    I have thought of the gravel bike, but still want to play off piste through the woods, plus i don’t get on with drop bars!

I have looked for a decent XC bike, but not sure on what’s a decent hardtail now.
    I also thought of building my own steel frame, but at the prices they are, might as well buy one

thanks for the replies

p7eaven
    Free Member

I have looked for a decent XC bike, but not sure on what’s a decent hardtail now.

These days a lot of it’s about what’s available.

Do you want singlespeed specific frame or are happy to use a tensioner? I enjoy my Longitude geared but was thinking about singlespeeding it this winter to shed some weight and maintenance/cost. Best thing about the bike is it’s simple (geared or otherwise), it’s tough, comfortable, it carries anything and goes anywhere.

(There are a couple of Longitudes now on ebay within your budget)

I too was looking for more XC hardtail budget-conscious recommendations on here recently and Sonder Dial was mentioned often. Also On One Whippet

sarell
    Free Member

Hello,

I can’t run a singlespeed, have a recurring leg issue, I need gears to spin the pedals.
    I’m tempted to look at an Epic or similar, but as it’s purely a winter commuter I was more inclined to buy cheap and not worry too much.

I rode the S-works last winter, but the state of the fork, and shock, internals when i stripped them..!
    This year i’ll leave it nice and snug!

Thanks for the help

chestrockwell

I picked up an On One Whippet a few weeks back when they were on sale for £799. Just the job for what you need so maybe worth keeping an eye out for another discount weekend?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Winter bike’ is closed to new replies.