Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • Winning big on the lottery
  • Dickyboy

tell no one, stick in the bank for a year then give 100 charities each £1M & keep the interest earned to retire with

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

On the self-indulgent side, I’d spend a bit of money making miseries of the lives of some people “on the list”. 🙂

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

fairly typical if previous responses are anything to go by;

a charity gig (trust fund paying income to local gigs)
    salt away enough to live off
    then a few toys, a couple of holiday homes (alps/south of france/bonnie scotland)

I’m sure my wife could think of some things to spend it on.

Sandwich

Still be overdrawn at the end of the month probably!

Your overdraft could be of a size to be the bank managers problem!

tomhoward

I used to say I’d pay my colleagues a years wages on the condition they leave the company for at least 6 months, simply to leave the ones I didnt like behind to deal with it/see the company go under (The original idea was my line manager’s! Oh, and I don’t work there anymore 😀 )

😈

freeagent
    Free Member

1. Keep quiet about it.

2. Buy a nice place to live, and a few ‘toys’ (bikes/cars/truck/etc)

3. Try to get the balance right between keeping myself and my kids grounded, and enjoying our new found privilege and freedom.

4. Do the Dakar rally.

5. Set up a property/development business to give me something to play at, and build a long term, safe investment for the kids to inherit.

6. Quietly buy myself immortality by gifting a fair bit of it to various local charities (ie build a kids hospice, set up a foundation to help underprivileged kids, etc)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Stuff charity, they can have what’s leftover when I’m dead. And before anyone gets moraly outraged, the population of the world is increacing so it’ll probably help more people then than it would now, doing it now is just making you feel good. A bit like giving it to local charieites is less philanthopic than giving it to african charities.

Probably take up yacht racing, $100million for an Auld Mug campaign and the change on a lifetime raceing in the VOR?

peterfile
    Free Member

with the remaining £90m create a Trust owned investment fund the income off which would be given to local charities etc in Worcestershire. Id have fun working on the investment fund doing projects that interest me, and the income can be put to good use

Like 🙂

On of the things I often day dream about is having Mark Zuckerberg type wealth and just keeping a cool billion in the bank to fund future business oportunities…then blowing the other $27.5 billion on whatever you can build to help people desperately in need of it. Very similar to your idea, but no where near as financially prudent 😉

I can’t even begin to imagine how that would feel. After we’d closed a 24 month deal for a mental health facility a while back, the guys who worked on it were offered the opportunity to help the long term residents move their stuff from the old facility to the new one. I spent most of the day bubbling away, as did most of my colleagues, I honestly have no idea how it must feel to truly change a load of lives in a positive way.

igm

I’m very boring.

£1m equity in each of the FTSE 100 companies (and leave it alone), nice property in a decent ski and bike area of the Alps (near a good airport of course), pay off a few mortgages, keep working (but possibly school term time only), and relax knowing that money isn’t an issue (learning how to jump doubles properly might be).

peterfile
    Free Member

£1m equity in each of the FTSE 100 companies

£1m in each of the FTSE100 might not leave you much change out of £100m to buy the rest of the stuff you want 😉

footflaps

£1m in each of the FTSE100 might not leave you much change out of £100m to buy the rest of the stuff you want

the key to happiness is to only want what you can get / afford….

igm

peterfile – Member
    “£1m equity in each of the FTSE 100 companies”
    £1m in each of the FTSE100 might not leave you much change out of £100m to buy the rest of the stuff you want

The guy won £108m didn’t he? £8m would be enough, more than enough.

totalshell

buy a pencil, write someone an FRO note.. then keep my family as best i could.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Set up my family and friends with a few bob.
    Buy a nice spot in Wiltshire.
    Buy another in SW1.
    Buy another in Serre Che.
    Buy four or five nice cars.
    Buy four or five nice bikes.
    Stock my cellar and library to a fine degree.
    Sit back and enjoy life.

bikebouy
    Free Member

First things first:
    Travel, but luxury travel. None of that larking around in 5* hysterics they call “Premier Hotels” for me… nooooo bloody way. I want secret uber swanky hideouts in far out places.
    Then vehicles: A Bug Veyron, a Campervan, a 2CV, an Audi Q5S then get my TT tarted back up the “new” spec and a Smart Fortwo CDI Convertable.
    Then some flipflops.
    Then Home: It would be mighty difficult then to identify exactly, item by item, the stuff I’d buy but suffice to say it would include a house/apartment in La Rochelle in the old town, then a place in Stockholm, then I’d by a place back in Ironbridge on the hill overlooking the Church.
    Then a boat: It would be a Swan 70ft sloop, something thats reasonably fast at cruising, easy to moor up and it must have a hot shower and some creature comforts to make some longer passage cruising “bearable” 😆
    Then bikes: You know what, I have all I need.

creamegg
    Free Member

amongst other things I’d buy land and make it more accessible to mountain bikers (and probably to other outdoor users), some id keep as natural trails, some id develop into trail centres, but with a proper range of trails

peterfile
    Free Member

The guy won £108m didn’t he? £8m would be enough, more than enough.

What would you do* with £100m?

I was just trying to make a funny 🙁

IHN

someone who said they’d give away £90m and still live a very mice life thank you very much.

This, basically. I’d probably buy a campsite or something somewhere nice and run it as a hobby. I couldn’t do ‘nothing’.

bombjack
    Free Member

I’d buy a mountain, open a café with a few b&b rooms on said mountain (none of your trail centre crap, I’m talking a proper café Rene style boozery) that would sell awesome cake and beers. I’d also have cars. Lots of cars, but I’d limit myself to one of each engine size (ie one V6, one V8, one V10).
    If the win was big enough I’d be tempted to hollow out the mountain and consider world domination but I think the temptation for Vin rouge would be too much.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It’s nice to dream isnt it?

A few nice houses in good skiing/riding spots. French, Austrian, Swiss alps, Whistler, maybe somewhere warm. Some nice bikes. Sort out a few family and friends, but not a huge amount, dont want them becoming reliant on me giving them cash all the time 😉

Some away to charity.

Would take a chunk of it to fund a start up idea or two and use those companies as the day job.

jekkyl

I’d pay my mate to be my lifelong cycling companion, then we’d go bicycle shopping & then bicycle riding.

hora
    Free Member

They say the money magnifies your weaknesses.

So thats cars and Rum for me then.

EEK

AlexSimon

Bring back the Sinclair C5

hammyuk
    Free Member

Friends are genuinely rich enough to never ever worry about work again.
    They bank at Coutes and the contract will not allow them to be stupid!
    One thing they both agree on is that to not worry – really not worry and live on the interest you need at LEAST £12-15M.
    Less than that and you can easily outspend the income.

Kuco

Make a few friends and family members happy, buy a nice house not to big but with a large chunk of land and a couple of cars I like and a few bikes. Wouldn’t bother with property abroad rather move around and stay in hotels and chalets.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Buy 108 million lottery tickets and see if I won again.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Can you buy friends?

I’d buy friends 😆

Ro5ey
    Free Member

You guys really aren’t think big enough

£108m @ 5% return (and with that kind of money you should really be getting better)… give you 100k a week to spend just from the earnings

So I’d

Buy Spurs a decent striker

and a left back

and a holding mid fielder

and a creative mid fielder

and a manager

Hmmm… there still may not be enough left to do what I’d really like.

A charity for disaffected kids… educational/vocational with lots of fun outdoors type stuff

chewkw
    Free Member

I would retire from my current bureaucratic shite job to start my own small cafe to pass time.

Harry_the_Spider

Right. I’ve had a chance to think / day dream about it.

Some money to family and friends to clear their debts with some on top to set them up for early retirement. Not too much that it destroys them.

Buy the house that I mentioned in my OP, one in Cornwall, one in the Dolomites and one on Lake Garda. Run the spare houses as a business, but with guaranteed availability for me as when required.

Set up a bike / outdoor pursuits business in or near Kirkby to keep me busy. Sales, service, café, bunk barn and guided rides / training. Employ enough staff that I’m not kept too busy 😉

Some toys to fill one of my two barns: Bikes, home cinema, home gym, spa, pool table, massive Scalextric (obviously) and so on.

Convert the other barn for guest accommodation.

Flash sports car (DBS). Family car. 4×4 and people carrier.

Invest the rest to pay an income to me and charities. But lock a good chunk of the capital away so that I don’t go mad and blow the lot snorting coke out of the ass cracks of actresses.

New tyre for rear of bike – front is OK for now. Probably get Mojo to look at my rear shock also.

Don’t need a boat, helicopter, plane or coke dusted actress*.

*Would be willing to reconsider this if it was Eva Green.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

What would you do* with £100m?

*Funny, amusing and light answers only please.

After the boring ” new house, make sure my family is looked after ” type stuff ….

the Mighty Whites would get a new chairman 😆 MOT

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Then bikes: You know what, I have all I need.

a rigid singlespeed? you could probably get quite a nice one for £108mil.

LoCo
    Free Member

Donate at least half of it to various charities, 25 mil. to family and friends and live off the interest of the rest.
    And fit a RS6 running gear to my van while leaving it looking completely stock 😀

somouk
    Free Member

I think I’d split half of it amongst family and friends then spend some on new houses/bikes/cars and invest in some business ventures to keep me busy in between all the riding and holidaying.

It’s a huge sum of money to have access too, I hope he enjoys it!

crankboy
    Free Member

I genuinely hope I would draw up a list of family and friends and split the lot equally . To be fair I don’t have a big family or a wide circle of friend so I would still be loaded.

jimster01

Make sure immediate family are sorted.

Buy a couple of houses here and there with suitably sized garages to store bikes/surfboards/homebrew equipment.

Maybe set up a self-letting business.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

House in the Cotswolds Like this

House in the italian lakes, ski chalet somewhere nice, and quite a few cars.

I’d also really like to open a restaurant.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Maybe set up a self-letting business.

With that much money, you’d still go on the game? 😉

sammy388
    Free Member

Buy a yaught, invite friends, consume booze and play ‘I’m on a boat bitch’.

I think we need to be best friends because that was my first reaction too! Only I had the song “I’m on a Boat” from SNL stuck in my head…

dashed
    Free Member

I’d like to be able to enjoy my wealth but with my same group of mates, so why not share it around – give a few mates a big chunk then you could all enjoy travelling / biking / skiing together 🙂 Would be a nice feeling not telling a soul and then dropping a few million into each of their bank accounts 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Winning big on the lottery’ is closed to new replies.