Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Winning a dream bike – no quids spare!
  • ossify

This thing had me drooling, so I have a ticket: https://thedreambikecompetition.co.uk/competition/antidote-carbonjack-29-db107/

But that and seeing the attainable dream bike thread got me thinking…

If I actually won it, would I keep it? Would I morally be allowed to keep it? 11k is a lot of money.

Our house is in the middle of extensive building work which we are skimping heavily in order to complete properly. Monthly bills are scarily high. I have children to provide for and savings to build up… I also do own a dream bike I built myself, a hardtail worth maybe 3k.

Sensibly speaking, I should sell it. Maybe buy the cargo bike I want and (debatably) need. Or a car. Or… or…

But OMG it’s gorgeous and I want 😍

What would you do?

(Just to be clear here, I don’t have it and am unlikely to ever actually be in this situation!)

jam-bo

I’d flog it and take my one of my existing bikes I don’t ride enough somewhere nice…

thegeneralist
    Free Member

What would you do?

Not waste money on raffle tickets just so I can spend the day day dreaming.

You know how they say that the National Lottery is just a stealth tax on the poor and the stupid?
    At least with NL some of the money goes to charity….

sharkattack

If I actually won it, would I keep it? Would I morally be allowed to keep it? 11k is a lot of money.

11k is a lot of money but you could realistically never sell it for that. Even if you won it what’s the most you think you could sell it for in the classifieds?

I’d flog it and have a month in the Alps with my none-bling, but perfectly functional, current bike.

doomanic

£11k? You could buy an ebike for that! 🤣

chrismac

Either dont enter or keep it would be my view. If I dont want the prize and the odds of winning are suitably small for the company behind this to be making a decent profit then I wont bother entering. Its not as if the profits are going to a good cause

ossify

Not waste money on raffle tickets just so I can spend the day day dreaming.

You know how they say that the National Lottery is just a stealth tax on the poor and the stupid?
    At least with NL some of the money goes to charity….

Well aware thanks, but I’m not quite that skint that I can’t blow 99p on some mild amusement. Hey it’s cheaper than some of the junk I eat and a lot better for me!

11k is a lot of money but you could realistically never sell it for that. Even if you won it what’s the most you think you could sell it for in the classifieds?

Sure but the point for discussion still stands. Call it 5k, same question.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

how did we get to the point where an £11k bike, has GX cranks

sharkattack

You distract people with Kashima.

joebristol

I was thinking of entering but I don’t particularly want that bike. It’s too extravagant – their normal £7k dream bike comp where you can pick a bike or bike bits would work better for me personally. Would allow me to pickup something like an Atherton frame and pickup some other bike parts my other bikes need.

The bike industry is a bit out of control on high bike prices I think in general – probably fuelled by 0% credit deals. There will always be a % of people with a higher amount of disposable cash they can justify spending on stuff like bikes – but for me that’s just excessive.

Comparing it to say my alloy Sentinel 2022 with a Lyrik ultimate / xt spec drivetrain / decent enough wheels and tyres etc which maybe about £4.5k worth – I don’t really see what that carbonjack is going to bring to the table.

joebristol

Hadn’t noticed that – mental. Doesn’t even look like the GX eagle carbon cranks – they look like the alloy ones. For £11k it should have Ewings or something. Would also expect to have that rainbow Xx1 drivetrain etc.

desperatebicycle

I’m gonna enter.

If I win I’ll give it to thegeneralist for being such a cheery ****

thegeneralist
    Free Member

If I win I’ll give it to thegeneralist for being such a cheery ****

Fair point well made 🙂 The problem is that the only time I post on STW is when I’m (supposedly ) working.

desperatebicycle

I’ll contact you on here then 😀

cookeaa

I suppose it’s better odds than the lottery with a proportionately smaller prize.

If I entered and won, yeah I would probably be flogging it or asking if they’d let me have the cash equivalent. Half of whatever it made in the savings and/or mortgage, the other half on more modest cycling toys for me or maybe just travel costs to do more riding…

But yeah I’d liberate some extra funds if possible.

steve_b77
    Free Member

If I actually won it, would I keep it?

If you’re questioning the morality of it in the first place, why even enter?

For £11k it should have Ewings or something

So 10% of the RRP of the bikes on cranks, you’re having a larf

monkeyboyjc

I thought that when first seeing the bike – 11 k and gx??

What would you do?

Id keep it, swap my posh cranks over with the gx, sell my trail bike and stick a reverb axs on it. Prob use the money from the trail bike sale on a nice holiday.

If I entered and won, yeah I would probably be flogging it or asking if they’d let me have the cash equivalent.

This one’s already built and ready for the winner, so it’s unlikely that DBC will do a cash alternative prize unless they need to boost ticket sales.

I always find it strange that people will enter a comp just to sell the prize – just enter a cash only comp! One reason I tell my self when buying a ticket is that at least If I don’t win someone else will be getting their dream bike – which was the original marketing 7 years ago and some 140+ bikes later. When the DBC has been offering cash alternatives I’m less likely to enter.

onewheelgood

This one’s already built and ready for the winner

So what size is it?

cookeaa

I always find it strange that people will enter a comp just to sell the prize

Well yeah, I didn’t enter the comp…

LAT

with everyone saying how flash it was i was expecting a less subtle looking bike.

i think it’s valued at 11k as that bike appears to have been built by the shop, rather than being one of the complete bikes offered by antidote.

slowol

You know how they say that the National Lottery is just a stealth tax on the poor and the stupid?*

Yes but I won twice on Saturday! Only meant to buy one ticket but machine in Sainsburys needed a reboot and multiple disagreements with the hassled looking woman working it. Only noticed two lines when I got home.

* Catch is it’s 2 lucky dips so you’re probably factually more correct (stupid dreamer that I am)

desperatebicycle

When you say “won”…

slowol

When you say “won”…

Well 2 quid better of this Saturday as I won’t be paying for the ticket!

monkeyboyjc

So what size is it?

Large – if you want a different size you’d have to wait for the parts to be delivered and built.

https://fb.watch/gO9xyEi4gn/

w00dster

It’s a nice looking bike for sure…..I think I’d keep it. Sell the house as is, sell the kids to fund the following divorce and go ride the bike somewhere nice.

seriousrikk

This one’s already built and ready for the winner, so it’s unlikely that DBC will do a cash alternative prize unless they need to boost ticket sales.

From the T&C on the site

Cash Alternative:

Should the Main Winner not wish to take the prize (including Bikes or other items listed, but excluding actual cash prizes), The Cash Alternative can be claimed. The Cash Alternative is 80% of the UK RRP of the prizes as displayed on our website.”

tomhoward

To squeeze in £5k frames.

onewheelgood

If I was spending £11k on a bike that isn’t the bike I’d buy. OTOH, I think it looks lovely and it’s probably worth a punt for a quid.

bikesandboots

It’d basically be a lottery win but with the prize money coming in the form of a bike.

I don’t have a family to be answerable to, and while I could keep an £11k bike, I wouldn’t.

Even if I liked it or I was allowed to choose which one. Even if I could only get half that by selling it. Or take the 80% cash alternative that’s offered in this case.

zerocool

£11k? You could almost buy a new Yeti for that! Almost.

It be honest if I won one of those raffles I’d probably keep the bike as that’s the reason for spending a few quid. Even the missus/boss wouldn’t mind as it would have cost me about a fiver and not several thousand pounds that any other bike would have cost.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Well 2 quid better of this Saturday as I won’t be paying for the ticket!

Don’t be crazy. You won last week so you’re statistically much more likely to win again this week again. You should put the normal two quid in as well.

🙂

dyna-ti

My Ebike’s £5k, and the cranks are FSA CK745, retailing at 40 quid.

Were I to enter and win that beauty I”d probably strip off the parts, put some on my bike and sell on the rest.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.