Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Windproof shells?
  • Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I need a new windproof.

I like the pertex style shells for max layering versatility, but it seems like virtually everything is shoftshell with some insulation, of light duty plastic membrane now.

Help! What’s out there?!

stevie750

I really like my paramo windproof. just watch the sizing as I think they are sized for wearing several layers underneath

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

There is only one.

001 (2)

Evans sportive

Same rider, same windproof. 25 years apart.

My son on the left, me in a Buffalo on the right.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    campfreddie
    Free Member

Arc’teryx Squamish. Not cheap but fantastic. I have a hooded version and a non-hood version.

I ride (Enduro mainly) with a Camelbak Podium Flow hip pack and the Arc’teryx fits beautifully in the water-bottle holder section (I have a bottle cage on the bike). It fits like a glove, keeps me toasty warm when I am up in the clouds, is decently waterproo, folds up into its own chest pockets and has enough give to fit over the top of the hip pack.

The only downside is that it is not exactly cheap, but when viewed as a contributor to riding enjoyment, it is the cost of a good pair of pedals.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I don’t know much about paramo, but aren’t they heavy and hot?

chiefgrooveguru

Yep, I really like my Paramo Enduro windproof. It’s the previous one of this:

https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/product/mens-enduro-windproof-jacket/

On mine the arm and body vents are one big vent via the armpit but otherwise it’s the same. With them plus the centre zip, big velcro cuffs and sleeves that push/roll up you can dump a lot of heat.

It’s not lightweight but it’s not heavy – proper tough fabric.

chiefgrooveguru

I had a Buffalo S6 Shirt for years, literally wore it out. The Paramo Windproof fabric is a bit heavier and more windproof than Pertex 6, which itself is tougher and heavier than the Pertex 5 they used to use on the Windshirt. It’s really tough stuff, great for getting caught on brambles, bouncing off trees and scraping along the ground. Only downside is it doesn’t pack down tiny what with the pockets and zips and huge hood (helmet fits in it) and tough fabric.

Clink
    karnali
    Free Member

Mountain trail windproof and if you go to
    Mountain-kit.co.uk that’s the factory shop some on there reduced at present

Simon

The zip broke on my ageing Montane Singletrack pertex windproof, I replaced it with a Rab Vital (as above but no hood), it packs down smaller and is more fitted than my old Montane which is good.
    But the cuffs on the Rab Vital are only half elasticated so I can’t push the sleeves up to regulate my temperature which is a big downside.

slowol

I got a Polaris one the other week after someone put a PSA on here. Seems fine, long body for cycling and packs into its back pocket, but only tested on a short supermarket run so far. A bit dayglo but I wanted one for commuting.
    https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/RBS-Pack-Me-Windproof-Cycling-Commuter-Jacket-p/pol01-5893-p.htm
    Price has now rocketed to £25 from a tenner 2 weeks ago.
    Previously had a super light Montane pullover one that was good for running or walking and got a Paramo one that is tougher that I use walking and climbing but is a bit flappy for cycling and is in road invisible blue/grey. Good kit though. N.B. Paramo windproof is just single layer of heavier weight pertex / thin nylon material and so no hot like the waterproofs which are multi layer. It is labelled as shower resistant but after a few wears that is debatable.

continuity
    Free Member

I’ve had a houdini, an aerofoil and a litespeed. The aerofoil is absurdly slim fit. The Houdini is a bit crisp packet. The litespeed is most robust. That said, just wear bike kit?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Windproof shells?’ is closed to new replies.