Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Windows phones, Nokia lumia 800 etc
  • clipper68
    Free Member

Any good? Not even played with one in a shop. I’m on iphone at the moment but fancy something different and have been down the android route.

franksinatra

Wel if you fancy different that isn’t ios or android then you don’t really have much other choice!

Played with my Dads nokia this weekend. It is fine and vodaphone was practically giving it away on contract.

Junkyard
    Free Member

limited apps still and very few develop for windows – BBC No . Strava no [ though I care less about that , Decent off road GPS No – Dont think STW do either.
    Not enough in use for sites to develop useful apps

Mine is a lower model and you cannot change font size so text is tiny on messages

Depends what you want but I want be staying with windows when my contract expires.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, plenty good. I like mine. The Nokias are excellent VFM to be honest, especially the lower end ones.

I don’t miss many apps. Instagram has been released, and there is an iPlayer app despite what JY says. For off-road maps there is an app that shows you the OS maps off Bing, but it doesn’t offer automatic route finding and navigation* on them. Just shows you your location – and it needs network access too obv.

* to be honest if you use a GPS for off-road route finding you a) want shooting and b) aren’t going to have much joy in some parts of the coutnry at least 🙂

flipiddy
    Free Member

I like mine a lot. There is a noticeable difference in apps, but not a disastrous level. Would I get another one when my contract is up? Yeah, quite possibly.

Green

Junkyard – You should be able to change the text size through ‘Settings > Ease Of Access’.

Junkyard
    Free Member

there is an iPlayer app despite what JY says

There is no 5live app or sports/olympics updates or radio app – not checked recently mind but that was what I was referring to
    Like i want to watch tv let alone on my little phone 😛

Green not on mine it is one of the lower end Nokia though

craigxxl
    Free Member

My wife has the 925 and it is brilliant. Not the volume of apps compared to other platforms but it wouldn’t bother me from replacing my iPhone 4s.

molgrips
    Free Member

Radios British does BBC live radio streaming and a load more besides.

As for the sport updates – I just use the bbc mobile website. Most sites that don’t have an app will have this alternative instead.

meehaja
    Free Member

just got rid of my 820 lumia for an iphone 4s, on a much more expensive, 24 month contract. Sold the 820 for £30 in the end as that was all i could get for it. Its an amazing phone, but pointlessly crap at the same time. I liken it to a owning the fastest car in the world… great for bragging, but you can’t get jet fuel down the local esso and you still have to sit in traffic with everyone else!

pro:
    Good camera,
    good battery life,
    “different”
    Cons:
    All the Aps are buggy as hell,
    All the apps you know and love? Not available on windows phones
    All the add ons and gadgets you know and love? Not available for windows phones
    Want to put music on it? That needs a special program on your computer, which is buggy as hell.
    GPS constantly loses signal or adds distance on (I felt strong the other night, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t run 5 miles in ten minutes, regardless of what GPS says)
    Dropped it and it broke (though Iphones do this too)

The final straw was when I was looking at getting a heart rate monitor for it and it turns out they are only compatable with older phones!

You can synch it with your xbox though, which is massivly useful, to someone, somewhere.

Green

Green not on mine it is one of the lower end Nokia though

That’s strange, it should work on all Windows Phone 8 devices, I’ve just got it to work on a Nokia 520.

molgrips
    Free Member

All the Aps are buggy as hell,

No, they are fine.

All the apps you know and love? Not available on windows phones

Not true. SOME are missing, but loads are present.

All the add ons and gadgets you know and love? Not available for windows phones

Some maybe, but all my gadgets are generic.

Want to put music on it? That needs a special program on your computer, which is buggy as hell.

Never tried this but get one with an SD card slot and copy stuff onto that perhaps?

GPS constantly loses signal or adds distance on (I felt strong the other night, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t run 5 miles in ten minutes, regardless of what GPS says)

Works fine for me except in areas where all GPSs have problems, which is unavoidable.

Dropped it and it broke (though Iphones do this too)

Three drops for me, works perfectly still, no visible damage.

Also, heart rate monitor straps

http://www.wpcentral.com/sports-tracker-adds-heart-rate-monitoring
    http://www.zephyranywhere.com/products/hxm-bluetooth-heart-rate-monitor/

Moses

I wish I’d known you were flogging that 820 for £30, I’d have paid that like a shot.
    I have an 820 which replaced a stolen Googlephone, and like it much better. The interface is easy to use, it’s better as a phone, the maps are better and can be downloaded for offline use, and once I’d sync’d my gmail account all my contacts were there too. Plus lots of photos. The SD card slot holds as much in the way of photos & music as I need.
    As for apps, I’ve not missed any yet.

In summary, get one

craigxxl
    Free Member

Meehaja, not sure what your taking about. The GPS has been fantastic compared to my iPhone. Music on the Nokia does require its own program, so does iPhone. The program works flawless and sync the music and playlists from ITunes much quicker than the iPhone.
    Nokia doesn’t use any proprietary ports like the iPhone which Apple decides to change after you’ve invested in expensive devices. Apple also dictate to 3rd parties what IOS are supported and which must be dropped so even when the phone connects to the device it us no longer supported.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I like my 720, but then I’m not a heavy user of apps. I could see it would be frustrating if you were into having the latest cool must-have apps.

Something I’ve noticed though, I sit in an office with two other guys who both have iphones, and we’re all on the same network – Vodafone. Every time they get a call they have real difficulty hearing the other caller and end up having to go into the corridor to get reception, whereas I talk away happily at my desk. Could it be the Nokias have better reception than iphones?

MadPierre

I have a 925 and it’s the best phone I’ve ever had. Never mind the apps – it works really well as a phone, much better than previous Android and iOS phones I’ve owned.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have the 520 – the basic Nokia.

Love it. Does eveything I need – calls/texts, emails, calendar, social media, GPS (offline maps and sat-nav) and Office for work.
    The phone costs about £80 but runs perfectly and the UI of Windows Phone is much nicer than the others.

Not all services have official apps, but there are generally 3rd party ones – often better than the official apps on other OS’

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I’ve got a Nokia 800 I could do you a good deal on 😉

1-shed
    Free Member

Nokia 710 here I like it. Will be changing to Nokia bigger number in March. Clear and simple to use. Happy windows user.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

820 here love it, wouldnt change to an Apple and Android is just too clumsy in comparison.

Not had any of the issues mentioned above. Yep it doesnt have Strava but hay ho. I just use Endomondo (which has live tracking which Strava doesnt).

All the other apps I need are there.

molgrips
    Free Member

Re strava, I just switched to using my Garmin Edge. Strava’s website is so good it doesn’t really make much difference, it’s very little faff.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it should work on all Windows Phone 8 devices

its older than that 7.5 or something and no updates last time I checked – about to replace with a Samsung tbh

GPS does work but i have had it fail a few times through it wrongly locating me

Nokia Lumia 620 ??? from when they were first released

houndlegs
    Free Member

Mines the same as junkyards, I can’t alter text size, which is a bit of a pain. Another pain is the fact I’ve never found out how to alter the length of the ring tone, if indeed you can alter it. It goes to answer phone before I get a chance to get it out of my pocket most of the time.
    Apart from that I quite like it.

traildog
    Free Member

I’ve got an Android phoned, but I have played a lot with a Nokia phone and think they are really good. Calls are good and clear and reception is really good. Battery life is also very good for a smart phone. Apps are growing and I’m not a huge app user, a lot are just an front end to the mobile website anyway.

I’m surprised people are complaining about the GPS, the navigation program worked very well when I used it.

As someone asked above, iPhones are terrible for call quality. I’m personally not a huge fan but I know plenty of people are and willing to pay the premium for them.

Windows is actually a newer OS and a bit behind on the development curve but it’s improving. I find it fun and easy to use and brings something quite different looking to the game.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Windows phones, Nokia lumia 800 etc’ is closed to new replies.