Windows on MacBook Pro

Home Forum Chat Forum Windows on MacBook Pro

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Windows on MacBook Pro
  • j5kol

So, does anyone know how to partition a MacBook to have the option of OS and Windows 7 and also how much it would cost for windows 7 ?

Premier Icon somouk
    Subscriber

You just run bootcamp on the mac and it should deal with it for you.

Windows 7 pricing will be hard to find, you may have to buy Windows 8 and then use the downgrade license to install Windows 7.

I’d personally just use Windows 8 instead of 7 but it’s quite expensive at £180 for pro.

Premier Icon austen
    Subscriber

Parallels is another option to bootcamp, no idea of the advantages or disadvantages but it’s pretty simple to set up and I haven’t found any problems with running some serious analysis software.

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

Other than additional cost..
    Use Fusion here (as well as BootCamp…) when need a quick check out of a base install.

As above, getting hands on a W7/8 licence key & copy will be tricky bit. Work may have one? You may be able to get some MS action pack / family pack?

Premier Icon Leku
    Subscriber

I run Parallels on my iMac with Window 7. Works very well and you can click from Mac software to PC software will no lag.

Just bought a MacBook pro so will do the same to that (except latest Parallels with Windows 8 )

Premier Icon somouk
    Subscriber

Parallels is very good, you can run parallels hidden too so you’re running native windows apps as though they are in OSX.

Does add an extra expense for the license and as you would be running Windows as a VM you do need extra system resources to run both OSX and windows at the same time.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

I run a copy of XP under Parallels, works very nicely esp moving files between OSX and XP.

j5kol

Thanks for the info, like the sound of Parallels, what are you guys running Parallels 8 or 9 ?

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Think I’m on 8, I don’t make an effort to always update as you’re just first to find bugs….

slowjo

I run XP via Fusion on y iMac and Win7 via Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro.

Shop near us is selling Win 7 64 bit OEM for about £140. Got one of his last copies the other day. I did have to buy some hardware too but nothing I didn’t need.

Anyway, both systems work fine. The only issue I have is when you use Fusion (and I am sure parallels too) you effectively only have access to half the processing power for each OS.

Correct me if I am wrong anyone.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Macbook pro (mid 2010 with i7) at home and run parallels and Win7 home premium. I use it in coherence mode and like that its great as effectively the windows programs are just in another window like all the native mac ones.

I use it mainly for memory map and Solidworks for when I’m doing a bit of work at home. The latest version of Solidworks is not that great like this for me at the moment – getting a bit processor hungry with both operating systems up and running – a bit laggy and the CPU fan gets noisy fast. Mucking around with the memory & cores given over to the VM has only made it worse so far but I’ll keep on plugging away. Used to be fine – could be the upgrade to the latest Solidworks, could be the move to Mavericks – not sure as I did them at about the same time.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Shop near us is selling Win 7 64 bit OEM for about £140. Got one of his last copies the other day. I did have to buy some hardware too but nothing I didn’t need.

OEM Windows 7 on Amazon for a lot less that that.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Windows on MacBook Pro’ is closed to new replies.