Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Windows / Office help
  • thepodge
    Free Member

Morning all, my Google skills have let me down so its on to you lot.

I have two monitors at work and like to have each split into two vertically with a window / spreadsheet / email / whatever open in each half. Every single flipping day I have to resize these to fit, overnight they decide they’ll just change shape and position.

Anyone have any idea how to lock or force each monitor into two halves? I know that if I drag a window to the edge of the screen then it does that auto snap thing but that’s only for that one session.

I know this it a total first world problem but thanks.

footflaps

overnight they decide they’ll just change shape and position.

My dual monitor set up does this as well, overnight it decides one monitor isn’t there and moves everything to the other one…..

As for what you actually want, I would probably script up something to fix the window sizes using the Win32 DLL eg grab each window’s handle from FindWindow / GetWindowLongPtrA and then move it about using that. Although that is not exactly a simple solution…

nbt

A quick tip is to use the Windows Key plus the left/right arrows. This will move the active window along, cycling between left 50% / floating / right 50% on each monitor (depending which way you go obvs)

Microsoft do a tool that allows you to define splits other than 50/50, so you can run e.g. a 60.40 split if you have an ultrawide monitor. let me find it

ah here you go

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/fancyzones

scaredypants

Just grab an active window and drag it to the edge of one screen.  it’ll fill half of that screen and usually you’re offered thumbnail images of other windows to fill the other half.

The repeat for the other screen

SHould take 30 seconds all in

oceanskipper

DisplayFusion may be what you’re after…. You can split the monitors where you like and it will apply it every time.

Monitor Splitting • Features • DisplayFusion by Binary Fortress Software

Looks like it’s only available in the paid for version though….

stumpyjon

Just grab an active window and drag it to the edge of one screen.

Why did I not know about this!!!!!!

footflaps

Why did I not know about this!!!!!!

+1

Very clever!

stumpy01

^^^ Amazing?! 🙂 This has been a feature for years now.

You can also hit Windows & an arrow (left or right) to do the same thing. I use it all the time.

footflaps

You can also hit Windows & an arrow (left or right) to do the same thing. I use it all the time.

Ta very much!

Another new thing.

Cougar

Another new thing.

… that nbt said yesterday, third post down. 😁 Left and right works across multiple monitors on successive presses also.

You can use up / down arrows to maximise / restore / minimise. It’s worth having a play to get your head around, it saves loads of time. Keyboard shortcuts FTW.

footflaps

Left and right works across multiple monitors on successive presses also.

Even better….

And much easier than scripting up a load of DLL calls to Win32….

Cougar

Heh, aye.

It’s brilliant on Teams calls when there’s documents and shared screens flying about the place.

thepodge
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’ll give these a go now I’m back in the office.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Windows / Office help’ is closed to new replies.