Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Windows 7
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Anyone using the beta? I’ve given it a blast as my vista was 32x and I’ve d/l the x64 version of Win7.

Seems ok so far. Bit nippier overall. Can finally see all 4gb of RAM. Looks and feels very Vista. Reminds of of when Win ME came out, for no real reason – it was more of a skin than a real upgrade as such. Only been using it a couple of days though.

Drac

Can finally see all 4gb of RAM

That’s because you now using a 64bit OS.

richc
    Free Member

Not sure why you would want to buy Vista SP3

GrahamS

Erm… if you had 4GB then why didn’t you just upgrade to Vista x64, which I believe is free if you have Vista x32?

druidh
    Free Member

Windows 7 is looking very good. I hope they have to bring forward the release..

fisha
    Free Member

i’m running it on an old thinkpad T41. A P4 1.7ghz ( pre-core duo stuff ) 1Gb RAM and I have to say, that i feels pretty nippy. Certainly much faster than Vista, and not too far off the way XP felt.

Overall … really quite impressed.

I’m looking out for a new computer some time in the forseeable future, but given how the Windows 7 is behaving, i’ll be holding out till thats released I think.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

GrahamS: It’s a free upgrade if you have a retail version of vista, not if you have an OEM copy.

richc: it’s a free beta. didn’t mention i wanted to, or would buy it when its released.

drac: youre telling me stuff i already know. thats one of the reasons i wanted to try a 64bit o/s (to see if would actually make a difference in the apps and games i use)

Spesh99
    Free Member

Not sure why you would want to buy Vista SP3

someone else that is regurgitating crap just because it was said on (insert name of social network here). If you want a comparison it is more like the changes from Windows 2000 > XP.

p.s. no i’m not a MS fanboy I generally use linux. But it annoys me when people who don’t have a clue about a subject make unfounded comments because some equally uninformed person said.

GrahamS

GrahamS: It’s a free upgrade if you have a retail version of vista, not if you have an OEM copy.

Aah. I guess the next obvious question would be – why did you buy or why were you supplied with the x32 version in the first place?

But yes, I’ve been using 64-bit editions since XP x64 and it does make a difference. Even if the individual apps are not 64-bit (which most aren’t) the core of the OS is, so it can use all that luvverly memory.

miketually
    Free Member

for the geeks: http://xkcd.com/528/

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Well…… At the time I built my system, 64 bit support was poor and I didn’t think there would be that much real world improvement for me. Ram was cheap in pairs too so I bought 4gb and filled my slots.

Saw the beta of 7 was out and thought I’d give it a shot – I was gonna reformat anyway. As it stands, I quite like 7. It is noticably faster day to day useage – opening apps, running web broswers. I’ve just been playing CoD4 and even that runs much better than it did (standard settings). I’m still playing really. Some good features. Built in ISO burning tool is simple but it works. I like the floating gadgets too.

Worth a shot if you’ve got a machine doing nowt.

MinishMan
    Free Member

Dunno why it turned into a bit of a 32 – 64 bit flaming, but I was helping someone sort a problem on thier vista laptop recently )(never did sort it) and it said 32 and 64 bit use the same serial codes, so you should be fine installing 64bit using your current key if you so desired.

On Windows 7, looks alright, I’d be happy with it if it came on a new PC I bought, but I’m not going to pay to upgrade my current PC to it. XP does me just fine…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s probably running quickly because they havn’t got round to putting all the crap in yet that makes it run like a dog and make you buy a new PC every 12 months to keep it running!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Windows 7’ is closed to new replies.