Windows 7 Pre-release

Home Forum Chat Forum Windows 7 Pre-release

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Windows 7 Pre-release
  • mrmo

or you can download it for free from microsoft for a time limited version of premium and find out how crap it is.

Yes i am using it, still prefer XP!

foxyrider

I know Microsoft is not everyones cup of tea but you can pre-order – I got it from play.com as the microsoft sote is down 🙂 LOL

£49.99 for home Premium and £99.99 for Pro – Release Oct 22 I think – full RRp fro Windows 7 Pro is estimated at £250.

I also can't wait for google to release their new OS next year to compete with Microsoft!

foxyrider

I have RC1 as well and Its def better than Vista IMHO – it certainly doesn't crash as much as XP!

Still running xp here. Its substantially more stable than any other system I've use ever since SP3.

God knows why you'd want to buy the 'latest' OS, unless being and free tester floats your boat.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

I didn't move to Vista till Service Pack 1 and that's probably the earliest I'll consider moving to Windows 7.

I spend enough of my day job testing software without doing it for free for Microsoft.

donald

My rule of thumb is wait for service pack 1 to come out before you install a new OS. I'm still on XP BTW.

foxyrider

I would agree but apart from bluetooth drivers I have been suprised at Windows 7 for its stability and compatibility (RC1 is very stable) – I had vista before and no I would agree I would wait for major fix patches when going from XP to Windows 7 but vista IMHO was crap as it shouldn't have been released so early. Window 7 def better in my opinion.

aphex_2k

Nothing wrong with 7 guys. How bout trying it before ya stick the boot in? I've been using it for a while now. It's great.

But then, I had no real issues with Vista64 either.

IanMunro

I have RC1 as well and Its def better than Vista IMHO – it certainly doesn't crash as much as XP!

XP never crashes for me, so it would be pretty amazing if it crashed less 🙂

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Nothing wrong with 7 guys. How bout trying it before ya stick the boot in?

No boot here. Just years of experience inform me that going with a Point-Oh release of any software will mean bugs and pain.
    And the more complex that software is the greater the pain.

baldSpot

removed Vista from my latest PC (pre-installed) a while ago and installed XP. Can't see me moving away from that any time soon.

foxyrider

XP never crashes for me

Blimey – so you have had no app crash or blue screens – you not been running your machine with much new hardware or software then?

IanMunro

I've had crap apps crash but never a blue screen. Used mostly for programming and electronic design applications – no games.

donald

XP never crashes for me, so it would be pretty amazing if it crashed less

+1

BlingBling

XP never crashes for me either on P45, Wolfdale, HD4870 it didn't on my older rig either.

Maybe you should try etch-a-sketch?

ourkidsam

W7 is an iteration of Vista though isn't it, rather than a brand new OS?

And I think Google's OS isn't really a (new) OS, it's Linux and Chrome melded in to some weird hybrid thing

Premier Icon lowey
    Subscriber

Running 7RC with no issues. Considering its an older PC it runs great too. Much Much better than Vista did on the same system.

GaryLake

I admit, XP very very rarely crashed for me and the one blue screen I had was down to a hardware failure so I can let that slide.

Never moved to Vista, will it be remembered fondly along with the likes of travesties like Windows ME?

I'm on OSX now, was forced onto it at work and have grown to love it so have made the switch at home… can't say I miss windows all that much but I never found XP as bad as others seem to

foxyrider

– I didn't find XP bad gary but I think that people diss new OS's d.t. intial bugs. Do we remember when XP first came out – what a nightmare until at least SP1 then the problems with SP2 nightmare – so to say XP was great ? I think Win7 is based on Vista but I think Win 7 Seems to me to be what Vista should have been ? Interesting they have introduced XP SP3 compatability mode for those who run XP specific software – Public pressure works then 😉

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

Unfortunately for MS, XP hits the performance/features/stability balance quite neatly on the head. I really can't think of a reason to upgrade it (apart from at work, I believe there are licencing issues for W2K8 CALs that make a financial case for upgrading under Enterprise agreements).

Look at the min specs for games for a simple example – they generally quote about a 10-15% increase just for running Vista. I haven't seen anything massively useful out of the box that would make me switch, so I wouldn't see any benefit, in fact I lose some peformance.

My main home PC is OSX.. and the same argument applies in many ways – leopard does what I want in with a fair degree of aplomb, so why upgrade it.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

I really can't think of a reason to upgrade it

Compared to XP I find Vista much faster to startup/shutdown, more responsive to use and more generally shinier and less clunky.

Those were good enough reasons for me.

foxyrider

Anyone who cares – the cut price Win 7 E&N versions are now sold out – only took 1 day. You gotta fork out £180 for Win 7 Pro now!

samuri

I never got why people had problems with XP either. Very rarely seen a bluescreen on any of the tens of XP devices I have access to, and then only when i've been trying something that might be considered a bit dodgy.

zokes

Same here – no problems that were the OS's fault with either XP on various machines, or Vista64 on my quad-core that i've had for the best part of a year. Even my ham-fisted installing of 2 new HDs left it unphased last night!

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

I've just done a clean reinstall on my PC so went for W7 just to see what it's like compoared to XP (granted, my XP was due a re-do so maybe a bit slow).

It's actually bloody good so far (2 days).

Boots faster, runs stuff stably so far. Downloads seem lots faster (possible ??).

I got the (apparently famous) bootmgr problem but cured by reinstalling with the secondary drive disconnected. After that, no problems yet

I'll probably go back to XP when they ask for money, though

foxyrider

I never got why people had problems with XP

BTW W2K windows support is expiring soon – I guess a few more years out of XP then?

mrmo

problem for MS is that so many businesses are on XP and have refused to upgrade to Vista. I don't see W7 being adopted for a while, so on that basis MS has no choice but to support XP, you might find Vista support gets dropped first!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Windows 7 Pre-release’ is closed to new replies.