Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Windows 10 update repeatedly failing
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

1 of my laptops is repeatedly failing to update Windows 10.

I have followed various fixes from the internet and none seem to work.

When I restart in gets to about 94% and then gives an error and takes around 15 minutes to undo changes.

Anyone had similar and what did you do to fix it?

thols2

Create a USB installation disk with the latest version. Run that from within Windows and do an upgrade installation retaining all your files and apps.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

squirrelking
    Free Member

Download a new image and install from there keeping files and settings.

EDIT: Damn this site, can we get auto refresh please?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hot_fiat

Almost certainly a driver issue. There was one SRP that simply refused to install on my work laptop. I just told it to not bother in the end. Windows update slung win 11 at it recently. Seemed to install ok, but now I’ve some odd graphics issues.

If you must try that update package, try downloading all the drivers for your machine first & saving them to some common directory. After running the update, boot into safe mode & install the drivers. That might fix it. Be prepared for it to die though (take a backup, have USB offline installation disk to hand).

scotroutes

Check there isn’t some other minor update needing done. I’ve had a similar issue as it seemed the W10 update wanted a .NET update done first.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Well tried to create a USB boot drive, got to the end of the checking and then gave an error!

Giving it another go.

Cougar

What was the error?

Open a command prompt as admin, run sfc /scannow

gobuchul
    Free Member

Open a command prompt as admin, run sfc /scannow

Another error!

“There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again.”

This seems to be from the other fixes I tried earlier. If try a reboot it just gives the installation error, or the same error if I reboot with updates suspended.

matt_outandabout

I had a work computer that had just not downloaded the update without corrupting. IIRC, we deleted all the temp/downloaded files and just let the thing re-download and try again.

gobuchul
    Free Member

So I deleted the temp files. Checked for updates.

It shows 2, 1 a Net update, the other the main windows one.

Did a restart when just the Net one had downloaded.

Still failed.

Cougar

“There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again.”

Do that then. Do “restart” rather than “update and restart”.

I suspect that both WU and SFC are failing for the same reason.

So I deleted the temp files.

If you want to do that, you need to delete c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download (it’s safe to just delete the entire download folder).

gobuchul
    Free Member

Do that then. Do “restart” rather than “update and restart”.

I tried that, didn’t work.

you need to delete c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download (it’s safe to just delete the entire download folder).

Thanks for that, I will give it a go.

phil5556

I had the same recently, Cougar gave me a link to follow which fixed it.

Here’s my thread if it’s any use https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/windows-10-updates-wont-install/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10 update repeatedly failing’ is closed to new replies.