Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Windows 10 must die
  • verses

This Xmas holiday I’ve had the pleasure of being sys admin for my parents.
    Windows 10 keeps trying,and failing to install the Creators Update 1709.

I’ve updated drivers, defragged, sfc’d, dcim’d and repaired windows update, but no joy…

Each time – the update downloads, does the pre-install stuff, reboots a couple of times, gets to 54%, reboots and then boots to a black screen and stays there. I then force several reboots until it automatically reverts to the last good restore point and loops through the whole same shitty cycle again…

Anyone got any suggestions for getting it to work or stopping it from trying?

The end of my tether was reached some hours/days/coffees/gins ago…

Cougar

Media creation tool, USB, boot from it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Download fresh copy, install over present copy, carry over files, done.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    verses

Thanks, will that overwrite the system, or will files/programs be retained?

Cougar

Depends which option you choose, it asks you.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I had exactly this except it wouldn’t revert to its previous self and I was stuck in a boot loop.

Even the media creation tool couldn’t fix it and in the end I defaulted to my usual course of action since win95 which is put a new HDD in and do a fresh install, put the old one in a disk caddy and drag all my files across.

TBH it’s running significantly better now than it ever did from new.

verses

Ta

Twodogs

I had problems with that one on one of my PCs….
    this sorted it

On 2 other machines it ran ok, but took about 3 hours in total

Cougar

That’s reasonable advice. ^^

Also, just thought, are you running third party AV? Disable it if so.

Files? Just restore from your backups, obvs.

timba
    Free Member

Had exactly this a little while ago, I gave up after a few days and downloaded a new copy of Windows 10
    I got the non-Creator’s Update version which is on the same page but a little less obvious, updates have been fine since
    I lost the use of the keyboard during the installation, plugged a mouse in and used the on-screen keyboard (accessibility options)

verses

No joy…

Still the same after deleting the windows update files (twodogs suggestion) and after attempting to update using the media creation tool too.

Any other suggestions, or even ways to just make Windows stop trying to install the update?

I’d rather not have to rebuild if I can avoid it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Depending on the computer you can be in and out in under half an hour, that’s how long it took on mine.

(full disclosure: Core2 QX6850, 8GB RAM, +SSD)

Plus however long to restore programs and settings, if clever these should be cloud saved otherwise it’s the whole length of piece of string question. At least they don’t have Steam to worry about though, silver linings.

verses

Unfortunately parents are visiting me (with PC) and don’t have all installation CDs/Keys/usernames/passwords with them.

I can reinstall when I next see them but that may not be for a while. In the mean time I just want to know that the patch isn’t going to randomly gubb their PC next time it tries to install.

So my options are to get the upgrade to work (tonight, as they return tomorrow) or stop the upgrade from trying to install.

timba
    Free Member

There is a troubleshooter for updates, type “troubleshooter” in the searchbar next to the start menu
    There’s one here too https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter
    It didn’t work for me, YMMV

Cougar

Disable BITS then. In the Services.msc window.

verses

I used the Troubleshooter earlier, made no difference.

This is the error I see after the upgrade using the Media Creation Tool fails;

Flaperon

defragged

You can still do that in 2017?

Possibly not enough disk space? The update needs loads (you effectively have three copies of Windows on the disk simultaneously for a while).

Alternatively a bit of Googling throws up…

Make sure AHCI and UEFI (or EFI) is selected in the BIOS.

Either install Windows 7 in UEFI/GPT mode or CONVERT your existing installation to UEFI/GPT.

Whenever this error happens for me it’s because the BIOS has EFI extensions or is a fully compliant UEFI firmware, but the installation is in BIOS/MBR. This seems to confuse the installer.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10 must die’ is closed to new replies.