Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Windows 10 – Anyone brave enough using it?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Tempted to upgrade to Windows 10 – partly as it’s a free upgrade and time limited.

Anyone made the move – if so how is it? I’d be upgrading from Windows 7.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I did. I like it. Everything works a lite more smoothly. Multiple desktop. Multi windows on the same screen. The file systems are all a lot neater too. The main issue seems to be compatibility and stability. Which I didn’t have an issue with on a ThinkPad t420.

Check your pc manufacturer website to see if all the drivers are available before you do it.

Only thing I’ve found is the touchpad occasionally freezes for a few seconds. Can’t fix it. Not a massive issue tho.

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s very good, the upgrade process is easy and it’s now as stable as Win7 or 8. Fill yer boots.

Can take a few hours to complete though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    somouk
    Free Member

I have on my work laptop and it’s fine. Remove the links to edge and create links for IE that is still on the system and you’ll be fine.

I only had one issue with our VPN client which was fixed installing a different app.

sandwicheater

Swapped over in the first week on my work PC. Was running W7 prior.

It’s fine.

mrsfry
    Free Member

MS went to far and i bought myself a couple of Macs.
    Bring back Vista or at least Win7

retro83
    Free Member

I liked 7 and 10 seems like it’s basically 8 without the annoying bits.

2 bits I don’t like – it reboots itself after updates, and I can’t find a way to switch this off permanently (it seems to reenable itself), and the duplication between Settings & Control Panel. Minor points though, it is a good bit of software.

GrahamS

Upgraded a friend’s laptop from Windows 8.

All went swimmingly and the result seemed a lot more usable than Windows 8 (which to be fair isn’t hard).

Bushwacked
    Free Member

OK, sounds like there are any major issues.

From what you’ve seen what are the main benefits on 10 over 7?

dragon
    Free Member

Another satisfied user here. Have it at work with Office 2016, all seems to work. Was using both Win 7 and 8.1 before and it is better than both of them.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Bring back Vista

Ha ha ha, yeah good one!

mashiehood
    Free Member

yes and its great.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not many TBH, but it was free, and in the future will be better than 7 when they stop supporting 7, which probably won’t be long off if they’re planning to keep offering free upgrades to keep people off the older systems.

The multi desktop/windows thing is nice.

Downside, the start menu is cluttered mess of default ‘apps’ and web links (i’m sure you can probably delete them but I can’t be arsed). And if there’s any grot on my hardrive it seems to delight in swapping out whatever random inoffensive pic it’s taken for the photo/video album icon for that.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Can you roll back to your previous OS if you have issues?

the-muffin-man

I’m a long-time Mac user and I quite like Windows 10 – I didn’t even replace my old Mac Mini when it died a few months ago – it’s the only version of Windows I’ve felt I could live with on a daily basis. We just use laptops running Win10 at home now.*

(*still use Macs at work though!).

tillydog
    Free Member

I’ve just gone back to Win7 after 2-3 months of trying to get on with 10. It’s sort of OK, but had hassles with recognising my DVD drive on upgrade, and most annoyingly, it stopped recognising my keyboard every now and again (it’s a P/S2 keyboard, but a nice one, so I don’t want to change it for a USB one).

It(W10) doesn’t seem to be quite finished – Edge is awful. You can switch to a different browser, but it seems to keep putting Edge back as the default as part of updates; It doesn’t handle colour profiles uniformly (some things are OK, some not – the photo viewer being one of them!). Things like device manager are still there with its old, round edged window, but you have to click through an unnecessarily long sequence of square tiles to get to it. The start menu equivalent turns into a mess when you install more than a few programs, and is populated with all manner of “fun” “Apps” (= useless crap) like a cheap phone by default.

…and I don’t like how it looks with its pointy-cornered windows/tiles.

The computer felt zippy when I first installed W10. It felt equally zippy going from a “working” version of W10 (with some programs installed, etc. – I refuse to call them “Apps”) to a fresh install of W7.

I never switch my computer on to marvel at the operating system – I have some purpose in mind. Having to learn the foibles of a new OS gets in the way of that. I’m familiar with Win7, and it does everything I want it to do in ways that I can understand.

I think I’ll cling on to W7 as long as I clung on to XP! YMMV.

In brief: If it ain’t broken – don’t fix it.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Bushwacked – Member

OK, sounds like there are any major issues.

From what you’ve seen what are the main benefits on 10 over 7?

Looks nicer, whilst it’s called 10, it’s really 7.5 – it has the best bits of 8, with the familiar layout of 7.

Your profile roams from device to device.
    It runs quicker than 7, but doesn’t boot as quickly as 8.
    It integrates better with the new cloud based MS products in the way fail management works.
    It’s also future-proof. MS say that this is it, there will never be another Windows OS, from now on all future OS will be Windows 10 based and the OS will be updated versions of it (however they’ve said that before) – I haven’t had the chance to check the licensing agreement for Win10, but in theory it’s yours so you could buy OS free PCs from now on if you can find one – try Novatech

midlifecrashes

I’m on 8.1 for most of ours, with Classic Shell, and Win 7 for one. I can’t recall Microsoft even trying to sell Win 10 on any new features. Why would I want it?

johnners
    Free Member

I haven’t had the chance to check the licensing agreement for Win10, but in theory it’s yours so you could buy OS free PCs from now on if you can find one – try Novatech

Good luck with that, W10 is activated against the hardware.

tallmart10

The only part I do not like is the pushed updates which, if using anything below Windows 10 Pro edition cannot be stopped or deferred. This can mean that you turn on your pc and you simply cannot use it for a few minutes while the update is installed.
    Oh and some (particularly graphics) drivers seem a bit flaky – you occasionally on older machines have to revert to the manufacturers drivers as Windows thinks it knows better.

So my recommendation would be:
    1. if on relatively new hardware, go for it
    2. If you can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro or above, go for it
    3. Otherwise, I’d probably stay on Windows 7, which was in all honesty rock solid. Microsoft are supporting it until 14/01/2020 and if you are on an older pc you will probably have replaced it by then anyhow.

tallmart10

Oh, and the black screen you get when upgrades are being installed. You start your pc, get the loading screen and then it all goes black – you can only see your mouse and nothing else – it led to me rebooting halfway through an update a few times until I worked out what was going on – you just have to be patient and wait for the process to finish.

toby1

Installed straight away on an 8.1 laptop I bought last year, it’s been good, has some small problems but nothing that has bothered me. I did buy a well specced machine though i7, ssd and plenty of ram, couldn’t be bothered with a budget version as they seem to slow down far too quickly these days.

MSP

I quite like it, but would have preferred they kept the interface closer to 2012r2.

It is getting quite annoying now at work having to go between xp, win7 2003, 2008 and 2012r2 then coming home to win10.

ahwiles
    Free Member

I like it (W10), but it doesn’t work properly on our ‘home’ laptop.

Something to do with the graphics processor drivers, or something. Much clevererer people than me have looked at it, and told me to go back to W7.

Cougar

Can you roll back to your previous OS if you have issues?

You can within the first 30 days, IIRC.

No issues here. Took my main machine from 7 to 10 a bit back and it’s been fine.

seadog101

I like our W10 PCs. Everything works well, no niggles, basically Win8 as it should have been.

brassneck

MS went to far and i bought myself a couple of Macs.
    Bring back Vista or at least Win7

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO #

I went the other way after El Capitan / OS X Photos .. on Win 10 after about a decade of Macs and more than happy.

leffeboy

Yep. My only problems were a very old application (from 98!) that had to be installed before the upgrade but would then work afterwards and eSet AV which needed reinstalling. Otherwise it’s fab and wouldn’t go back

Cougar

I like our W10 PCs. Everything works well, no niggles, basically Win8 as it should have been.

Yeah, it’s a no-brainer upgrade from Windows 8.

bigdean

You can set your internet connection to “metered connection” apparently this stops updates automaticly up dating.
    But any updates change this setting back to defaults which is annoying.

slackboy

Its fine. the user interface is not irritating in the way that win8 was. think of it as win7 with some decent new features

I had some issues with my wireless driver after the latest win10 updates but was able to roll back to a previous win10 build.

Nice feature which I didn’t know was there.

chewkw
    Free Member

Still on Windows 7 … 😛

Ain’t broken don’t fix it but I might buy a Microsoft Windows 10 Linx tablet with Office pre-installed.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Using 10 but Windows 7 is the best version I’ve used.

jb72
    Free Member

I’ve been using it since August. No real issues. Have also set up a lot of machines with it at work. Don’t use Edge … just set IE as the default browser.

Northwind

TBH I’ve not seen anything that says upgrade, to me- that might be different if you’re on 8, but I’m on 7 and it’s really very good. TBH the spammy/malwarey nature of the upgrade prompts alone have put me off.

garage-dweller

A few minor driver issues and our av software has lost some (previously unused) functionality, other than that all good as far as I can tell on the home machine although it’s only really used for web surfing, email and a bit of light picture manipulating and stuff for the kids so it could be worse than I think…

Greybeard
    Free Member

I upgraded from 7 – I can see Microsoft dropping support for 7 as soon as they can as their whole aim is to get people onto one platform, so I wanted up get it while it was free.

It’s generally good, has some good features, but I’ve spent a lot of time finding and turning off all the anti-privacy bits. A recent upgrade decided that there was a ‘problem’ with some of the apps like Irfanview that I’ve installed, and so it sets the file associations back to the defaults every time I change them.

Also annoying that you can’t remove stuff you don’t use, such as Cortana – even though I’ve turned it off, it’s still used 17min of processor time in the last week, and sent 4Mb of network traffic – I don’t what, or to whom.

Cougar

I can see Microsoft dropping support for 7 as soon as they can

It’s been out of mainstream support for a month or so already. Extended support (ie, still getting security updates) runs until the start of 2020.

chewkw
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

I can see Microsoft dropping support for 7 as soon as they can

It’s been out of mainstream support for a month or so already. Extended support (ie, still getting security updates) runs until the start of 2020. [/quote]

4 more years to go so I guess I better start saving now for a new desktop PC system. Maximum budget £500 all inclusive. I bet PC will be dirt cheap when we get to 2020. 😀

Dibbs
    Free Member

We’re still on XP at work, the company are paying MS for extended support (rumoured to be in the 10’s of millions), due to move to W7 around May but the project isn’t going too well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10 – Anyone brave enough using it?’ is closed to new replies.