Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Windows 10?
  • nicko74

I have a new (to me) PC, that’s come with Windows 10. I haven’t done much with it yet, but am trying to get a handle on whether to roll it back to W7, or learn to love W10 instead.

FWIW, I have a full copy of W7, and it seems drivers are available for everything

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I’d stick it out with W10.

You can set it up to look fairly retro, and if you move to 7 then you’ll just have MS bugging you all the time to upgrade.

jeffl

Have had W10 for a while. Some of the settings etc are hidden away a bit and they’ve moved some of the more advanced admin features around. But once you’ve set it up it’s not bad to use on a day to day basis. Classicshell is your friend if you want to make it look like W7, although it doesn’t work with the new anniversary edition which I downloaded last night.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nicko74

Fair enough, I’ll give it a whirl. I hated Windows 8, but it looks like things have thankfully moved on from that mess

deadkenny
    Free Member

jeffl – Member 
    Classicshell is your friend if you want to make it look like W7, although it doesn’t work with the new anniversary edition which I downloaded last night.

Careful, there’s a malware version of Classicshell going around which wipes your MBR. Timing is spot on for people who’ve either installed Win 10 before the July 31 deadline or get the Anniversary Update* which will revert their shell 😉 http://www.zdnet.com/article/fosshub-serves-up-mbr-compromising-versions-of-audacity-and-classic-shell/

Anyway there’s really no point in it with Win 10 unless you’re a true luddite.

Win 10 brings a huge amount of under the hood improvements over Win 7. In fact Win 8 had a lot of them.

Massive improvements in boot loading by hibernating the core OS but not the apps when you shut down. Boots in seconds. Hybrid sleep which does the same but with minimal power keeps the apps in memory also. Appears to be off but virtually instant on without booting.

Proper SSD support, crash recovery is much better, recovery from power failure also. Edge browser is a massive improvement over IE, and in the Anniversary Update* has fairly much filled the holes in “be like Chrome” functionality. Edge performs faster in my experience than Chrome and more so with touch, smooth scrolling is smooth unlike Chrome. Though memory consumption in Edge is still beefy.

* Anniversary Update – this has been rolling out this week since Tue. It’s basically Win 10.3 and a fair bit of improvements and new features in it. The option of Unbuntu Bash aka Linux Subsystem is nice. Phone notifications is pretty cool which with Cortana on Android will mirror notifications from the phone and for (those few with) Win Phone you should be able to answer calls also, read and send text messages from desktop. Windows Hello. Ink. Plus whole load of subtle changes.

Cougar

Edge browser is a massive improvement over IE

To be fair, that’s like saying One Direction is a massive improvement over the London Boys.

Cougar
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10?’ is closed to new replies.