Wind Turbines/windmills

Home Forum Chat Forum Wind Turbines/windmills

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wind Turbines/windmills
  • project

Recently they have built a huge set of turbines off the coast of north wales and opposite west kirby on merseyside, and when i visit my girlfreind who lives in Rhyl, we have noticed the wind seems to be blowing a lot stronger now, since the wind turbines, even though they all seem to go at the same sppeed , never faster or slower,are they produceing wind or being turned by the wind, and why dont some work sometimes, just curious like.

simonfbarnes

they run at a constant speed, synched to the 50Hz of the mains – as the wind gets stronger the control system will change the angle of the blades to increase the power developed. All generators have to do this if they drive the grid.

Premier Icon Mark
    Subscriber

I would just like to point out before you all ‘start’ that personal abuse, no matter how warranted you may think, will not be tollerated..

Mkay?

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

What, not even if directed at simon?

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

They are geared to spin at a constant speed. If they went too fast they would make the electricity too strong (think Tennents Super as opposed to Carling) all your light bulbs would blow and your microwave would turn into a nuclear incinerator.

srrc

It’s us windsurfers and kitesurfers, we put 50p in the slot, get them turning making wind so that we can have a good session.
    That’s why they stop turning when there’s no windykiters around.

dr_death

And they are sometimes off if the wind is too strong or too light.

spooky_b329

heheh 🙂

Reminds me of a thread on the old forum after the local rag ran a piece on a load of new turbines planned a few miles off shore.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/search/2323057.Giant_windfarm_aimed_for_sea_off_Sussex/

A couple of the initial comments was what started it 🙂

antigee

when i visit my girlfreind who lives in Rhyl, we have noticed the wind seems to be blowing a lot stronger now

are you taking your kit off whilst out doors?

druidh

Mark – Administrator

I would just like to point out before you all ‘start’ that personal abuse, no matter how warranted you may think, will not be tollerated..

Mkay?

😀

simonfbarnes

I would just like to point out before you all ‘start’ that personal abuse

I’ll try to be good 🙂

project

would just like to point out before you all ‘start’ that personal abuse, no matter how warranted you may think, will not be tollerated..

Mkay?

What have i said.

project

Sorry but i wasnt abuseing a windmill.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

Stop digging.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wind Turbines/windmills’ is closed to new replies.