Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Wind deflectors – Are they useless?
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

Thinking about buying a set of those wind deflector strips for the side windows of the car, mostly because any water on the windscreen seems to end up getting blown right across the drivers side window right across my line of vision to the mirror.  I’m hoping that this would be alleviated by the deflectors.

I’ve never had them on a car before.

Do they serve a practical purpose or are they  just a cosmetic  contrivance?

johndoh
    Free Member

I have some – they do reduce wind blowing into the cabin but I find that they slightly obscure the view of the rear view mirror so in your case you might not get on with them.

They also slightly increase wind noise.

globalti
    Free Member

Don’t forget the bead seat cover and the box of tissues on the parcel shelf.

fossy

Rain X on the side windows – helps –

I don’t like the stuff on the windscreen – had to use it once when a plastic part on my wipers broke, but it’s good for stopping the water ‘stick’ to the side windows as much, and helps the flow at speed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Close windows, turn on fan?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Close windows, turn on fan?

Not going to stop the water from the outside of the windscreen blowing round the A pillar and covering the outside of the side window obscuring my view in the mirror.

That’s the problem  I’m trying to solve here.

There’s no gutter or anything up the side of the windscreen to channel it up and over the roof like every other car i’ve ever had

matt_outandabout

Don’t forget the bead seat cover and the box of tissues on the parcel shelf.

seadog101

Had them on cars when I lived in New Zealand, temps were often just right for open window driving. Worked well at stopping buffetting into the cabin when windows were full open, and no whistles when open a little bit.

johndoh
    Free Member

Rain X on the side windows

I find it is a pain on side windows as it obscures vision more with the way the water beads and you have to be going at a fair speed for the wind to whip it away. I won’t be doing that to my car again.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Aren’t they for the smokers? Stops the ash and buts from blowing back inside.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Easiest solution is a new car, clearly.

phil5556

We’ve got them on the camper, great for at night so you can leave the windows cracked down without the rain coming in.

Useless for anything else. Infact they make it harder to see the mirrors at the rain doesn’t get blown off the side window.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Got them on the camper.

Find them useless for leaving open at night the bugs just go round them.

Great for driving along at 55mph with the window cracked allowing a nice supply for fresh air without buffeting in my ear.

Liked them so much thought about fitting a set to the wife’s car but due to design of windows the deflector obscured the side mirror

DezB
    Free Member

Easiest solution is a new car, clearly.

And start a thread on here asking which one cos you can’t make decisions 😀

My brother swears by (poo!) those wind deflectors. Always has them on his windas.

BillOddie

I have them on the camper.

Not overly convinced,

wwaswas

My brother swears by (poo!)

that’s a shit solution.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’ll ask the chauffeur if they help

aP
    Free Member

They just transfer the water somewhere slightly further away. Got some on the van – work ok up to about 50mph, but are noisy above that speed.
    Great for camping up though to keep a bit of airflow.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Garfield toy in the back window and one of those grounding strips next, Perchy

perchypanther
    Free Member

Next?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Got them on the campervan as they’re useful for having the widows cracked open at night for ventilation without letting in rain and wind. Other than that they’re useless. I don’t drive with the window open as I’ve got A/C. Better than fresh air by the time it’s gone through all the various filters.

johnners
    Free Member

they’re useful for having the widows cracked open at night

I’m in!

slackalice
    Free Member

Go for a LHD car, simples.

benp1

I like the idea of being able to crack open the window with less noise. I’d have some for the practical benefit if the aesthetic side of things wasn’t so bad. A bit like crocs and sandals I suppose…

a11y

‘Heko’ ones worked well for us on VW T5 – shaped to prevent obscuring the side mirrors. Certainly effective at reducing buffeting at speed and great for overnight camping use.

However, vehicle shaping/design plays a big part in how much buffeting there is to start with. Swapped to a Transit Custom and even without wind deflectors there’s less buffeting than with the T5 – must be aerodynamics or sumfink. Same with my car.

FuzzyWuzzy

I can’t see it working well for side window water coming off the windscreen, most (as they’re generally designed as wind deflectors) won’t have much of a lip lower down and the ones that do will obscure your wing mirror anyway,

like this monstrosity: 

perchypanther
    Free Member

Specifically, these ones

chakaping
    Free Member

Is your car a two-tone Mitsubishi Shogun and about 15 years old? If so, crack on.

Marin
    Free Member

Got them on my van wouldnt be without them now. I like driving with the window down though as I’m not made of sugar and feathers.

rossburton
    Free Member

If you happen to have a previous model Civic then I’ve a set in the garage that I took off our car when we bought it, previous owner liked them but I don’t. 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Is your car a two-tone Mitsubishi Shogun and about 15 years old?

15 plate Mitsubishi.

Is that close enough?

brassneck

Have them on the Caravelle, it’s pre air conditioning so its made the drive through France a lot more pleasant for all.

I say them – just looked out the window and I think someones nicked the passenger side one!

chakaping
    Free Member

Is that close enough?

I think you already know the answer to that.

Have them on the Caravelle, it’s pre air conditioning so its made the drive through France a lot more pleasant for all.

Actually now Googling “Vivaro wind deflectors” in prep for next year’s drive to Italy.

chakaping
    Free Member

One review from Amazon…

fitted well and gives my baby a great look.

😀

slowoldman

Garfield toy in the back window and one of those grounding strips next, Perchy

Anyone remember the “put a tiger in your tank” tiger tail?

Tail

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Wind deflectors – Are they useless?’ is closed to new replies.