Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Win a Camper Van – Save thé Cave….
  • Wharfedale
    Free Member

Not sure if this has been posted before but a search came back empty for me.

Stump cross caverns have taken an alternative approach to save their family business – Win a Camper Van – Save thé Cave

I know there’s a lot of love for VW campers here.

Link Here

I have no association with Stump Cross Caverns other than them being local to me.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Wrong topic title or just no interest? Surprised….

ji
    Free Member

I had a look, but reckon they will pull the competition – only £10,600 of the £50k target raised so far, and 37 days to go.

Shame, but a lot of these lottery things fail to raise the money they need.

(EDIt – and as someone about to be unemployed I decided I need to stop throwing money away!)

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Yes can understand some aren’t in the position to contribute financially. Just trying to raise awareness and gain some social media/forum coverage for them. It’s a great place both for education and as a family activity. Cycling is pretty good too… did I mention they also have a great cafe with cake….

revs1972
    Free Member

Thanks, ticket bought.

Im part of the Powertoolmate facebook group. They regularly raffle off new tool bundles, and often a van and tools. 6000 tickets at £10 a pop or 3000 tickets at £20 a pop.
    They have had to stop announcing when the raffle starts as the site often crashes as them tradies are like a pack of hounds on a fox trying to get tickets.
    I wonder if posting a link to Stump cross crowdfunder might sell a few more tickets ?

Marko

A bump and a ticket bought.

Years ago I picked up a pile of old copies of descent from ‘Quip You’ (some old gits on here will know the now closed shop) and in one of the mags was an article on Stump Cross caverns that referenced the original discovery. One of the original discoverers has my surname and whilst I can’t confirm that it was a relative of mine my paternal grandfather was from somewhere around Pateley Bridge/Nidderdale area.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Cheers for the support guys. Be a real shame to lose SCC.

Please spread the world on any media you can.

dyna-ti

I just had a look at the VW site and am astounded by the rice. They’re asking 50-£60,000 for a camper van.
    2nd hand is about £10K, so thats a hell of a lot of depreciation, and therefore a poor investment.
    Personally I’d opt for an ancient VW and use a considerably less amount to renovate it.

zilog6128

2nd hand is about £10K

lol, if that were true I’d go out and buy one tomorrow! 🤣

nickdavies

I just had a look at the VW site and am astounded by the rice. They’re asking 50-£60,000 for a camper van.
    2nd hand is about £10K, so thats a hell of a lot of depreciation, and therefore a poor investment.

Where have you appeared from.. the 90’s?! 😂

That’s thick end of 40k if not more at the moment. I could sell mine for a profit after owning it for nearly 5 years.

Quite like the offer – only goes through if they reach the target unlike some comps I’ve seen which just keep the money. Might have a dabble.

dyna-ti

Maybe you missed half of my very short post ” Personally I’d opt for an ancient VW and use a considerably less amount to renovate it.”

Let me direct you to the relevant section, as you appear to miss things quite easily….

” ancient VW and use a considerably less amount to renovate it.”

chrispoffer

” ancient VW and use a considerably less amount to renovate it.”

Whatever you’d get for £10k isn’t going to be awesome. And you’d be suprised how much it would cost you to buy an ancient VW, derust and renovate it.

Anyway, back to the topic in hand. It’s a great cause, I haven’t been to Stump Cross for years. I’ve donated and look forward to going back there 🙂

burko73

I think dyna ti has their wires crossed and is looking at new vw California’s on the vw website?

You won’t get one of those second hand for £10k…

They’re the least depreciating vehicle you can currently buy aren’t
    they?

fubar
    Free Member

I’ve entered… one of those places I’ve seen a brown tourist attraction road-side sign to (Grassington Rd from Skipton) but don’t think I’ve ever visited. I promise to visit in 2022 if they can keep it open.

Drac

Donated as I still fancy a vanity van and seems a worthy cause.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Lisa, who owns the caves along with her partner Nick, was a staff nurse in Leeds & a colleague of my Mrs so they know each other. We’ve bought a ticket each.
    They’ve worked hard since they’ve been together at making the caverns a family attraction & i wish them all the best. The food in the cafe is pretty good!

P20

I wonder if they’ve considered renting it out? Depends how quick they need the cash I guess

dyna-ti

I think dyna ti has their wires crossed and is looking at new vw California’s on the vw website?

You won’t get one of those second hand for £10k…

They’re the least depreciating vehicle you can currently buy aren’t
    they?

No I am not.
    I was referring to the OLD VW campervans. OLD, not new, not 1990’s the OLD campers.
    Something like this – Again for the hard of hearing – In Need Of Restoration
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-T2-Bay-window-camper/184685212509?hash=item2b0018b35d:g:QJ8AAOSwFh5gOfY~

I like the old stuff, its got more character.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Shame that’s not a 10k camper as you alluded to .

That’s a 10k.money pit.

And not hard of hearing. Read back what you wrote. Its not a stretch to end up where they did because the original post wasn’t clear in the slightest.

zilog6128

trail_rat
    Free Member

Link isn’t a 1991 money pit.

Its a 1970s money pit

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve only jus5 realised I missread the name in the first post as Stump Cross Caravans.
    All makes a bit more sense now.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Cheers for the support guy. Please share it and pass it on.

I can appreciate it might not be for everyone.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Nice article in the Yorkshire Post

Yorkshire Post link

stayhigh

Completely unaware of this place but looks a great spot for a visit once things have CTFD.

Ticket bought.

P20

Entered and shared 👍🏻

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Ta for posting that, some pleasant memories of school trips and the like from many moons ago.

ChrisL

I dimly remember going to Stump Cross Caverns a couple of times on family visits to Yorkshire when I was a kid. I presumably haven’t been in 35 years or so but I think I’d like it to continue to exist and I am in a position to spare a little cash so I think I’ll put some money in.

sc-xc

I was referring to the OLD VW campervans. OLD, not new, not 1990’s the OLD campers.
    Something like this – Again for the hard of hearing – In Need Of Restoration

I must be hard of hearing.

NYWAY, I don’t have a horse in this race. I’ve owned a 78 Bay and a 2010 T5.1 and come out of both with more money than I put in.

dereknova
    Free Member

Thank for posting

Entered 🙂

zilog6128

didn’t think this stood much of a chance when first posted but clearly due to STW exposure has picked up steam! If it carries on at the current rate they’ll do it, still a lot of tickets to be sold though! I will have a go, and look again near the end, might buy a couple more if it needs a final push to get over the line.

revs1972
    Free Member

Looks like they smashed their target. Good luck to all that entered

slowoldman

The draw is tonight.

phil5556

Did I win??

Edit: No 😞

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Win a Camper Van – Save thé Cave….’ is closed to new replies.