Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 170 total)
  • Wimbledon Andy Murray Content
  • binners

Someone smiling for wattsy earlier

1981miked
    Free Member

Nice one Binners..

Thanks for that!

Pigface
    Free Member

Not a huge tennis fan, enjoy playing it but watching is not my thing. Huge congratulations to Andy Murray, a brilliant performance. The pressure to win it must of been huge. Very happy for him.

Its like the Lions winning, some people saying that Australia werent very good and now people are saying Djokovic threw it FFS there are some miserable sods around.

TheWrongTrousers

Who was that sweaty little fat man in the suit standing behind Dave and shouting like he was on Songs of Praise ?

organic355
    Free Member

can someone explain what Murray has to do to become world No.1 as hes still number 2 after beating number 1? not as simple as that obviously??

do you have to win a number of grand slams or something?

EDIT: Googled http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Rankings-FAQ.aspx#pointvalue

mt
    Free Member

Now I’m no tennis expert so feel free to flame away. I like Murray, he is a great player (aren’t they all at this level) that you can clearly see the struggles and mental pressure he is under while playing. There is no doubt he has worked very hard to be where he is, he deserves his win. What I also like about him is that he is his own man, no need to play at the celebrity or suck up to anyone. His is what he is take it or leave it.
    Now those that would like to criticize him, what did you win yesterday?

zokes
    Free Member

Someone smiling for wattsy earlier

She’s made me smile too 🙂

ononeorange

I know nothing about tennis but I could see that yesterday was a superb effort, hats off to him.

Never liked all the daft hype thrown out as soon as Murray wins his first match (“He’s going to be champion!”), but this time he really came up with the goods. And he didn’t blub, thankfully.

zokes
    Free Member

can someone explain what Murray has to do to become world No.1 as hes still number 2 after beating number 1? not as simple as that obviously??

They tried to explain this in the commentary. Basically, each position you come where you beat the position you came in the same competition the previous year, you get some points. As Djok didn’t get to the final last year, he got points for just turning up yesterday, whereas Andy wouldn’t have got those as he lost in the final last year. He obviously got lots of points for beating Djok, but not enough to bridge the gap.

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s 19 tournaments that are used for the calculation so 1 win won’t be enough to propel anyone to the top. Also as it is a ranking you need to equal your performance the previous year just to stay put. At Wimbledon both payers bettered their performance last year so both will have effectively moved up a bit.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Organic – yes it’s a points based system rather than a cookers-style system!

Rather than general trolling, time would be better spent learning from what it takes to be #1 in the world either as an individual (Murray) or as an event (the Wimbledon Championship). Unfortunately much of the needed lessons fly in the face of modern thinking and get distorted by prejudice and other factors.

But there are clear lessons not only in the journey but perhaps the hardest bit – going from nearly the best, to the very best. So much sacrifice and effort have gone into a simple tennis match that it is easy to forget what is involved.

FWIW, yes, Murray had some breaks with how the draw panned out and Djok must have felt the effects of the del Potro match. Plus I thought that Murray was not at his best in some of the earlier matches. But when it can to the final, he was imperious and magnificent.

Sir Andy Murray and Sir Leigh Haflpenny. Not we need something from NI (gmac or Mcilroy in the Open) and England (Cook’s forthcoming double centuries against the Aussies, Lee Westwood at the open) to make the full house!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I assume ranking tournaments with points [ and weightings for the big ones]etc and as he missed the French slam his points total will be low this year. He has two slams and the Number 1 has 1 but he was the beaten finalist in two others and semi in the other [ iirc] .

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Well done to Murray, great achievement moreso given the pressure added by the history of British players at the tournament. But if the future of major finals for the next few years is Murray vs Djokovich then I dont think I’ll be watching much of it. Fom a players perspective you need to do what you need to to win which is all well and good but history aside it was not an enthralling game to watch.

molgrips
    Free Member

history aside it was not an enthralling game to watch

You what?

The tennis was phenomenal! Either you or I know absolutely nothing about tennis!

nickjb
    Free Member

history aside it was not an enthralling game to watch

[quote]The tennis was phenomenal! [/quote]
    It was enthralling from see-saw, ‘who’s on top?’ point of view, just when one player edges ahead they have a wobble and we’re back to square one. From a tennis perspective there was some incredible rallying and impossible gets but both players have a very similar style. It was nothing like the spectacle of the polar opposites of Federer v Nadal. I still can’t decide if it was a good game, but it was a great result.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Either you or I know absolutely nothing about tennis!

[Holds hand up] I know very little about tennis, but watching that game didn’t inspire me to want to know any more.

Like any sport that you don’t follow regularly, there’s probably an element of me not appreciating the intricacies but I found the long behind the baseline rallies not all that exciting. It felt like each of them was waiting for a mistake by their opponent rather than trying to force the point.

For what it’s worth my favourite game that I saw of the tournament was Dustin Brown beating Leyton Hewitt. Contrasting styles, inventive and unorthodox, both trying to outsmart each other in very different ways. I’m sure that style of play can’t get you to the top of the game but I could watch it all day long.

I don’t want this to be mistaken as knocking Murray or the achievement of winning the tournament, I think he’s done phenomenally well. I guess if I were to draw parallels with cycling it’s a bit like people not liking 2012’s team sky approach, it’s very effective and it’s what they had to do to give them the best chance of winning but it’s not the most entertaining to watch.

theblackmount
    Free Member

>it was not an enthralling game to watch.<

But you struggled through it manfully anyway 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Disclaimer: I don’t know all that much about tennis either and don’t watch much outside Wimbledon.

I found the long behind the baseline rallies not all that exciting.

There were quite a lot of those points, but there were some amazing shots that were returned and kept in play, and the rallies continued with even more amazing shots. The kind of play that only happens once or twice a match if you’re lucky was happening every game.

They were both far more accurate finding the corners and lines than any of the other games. Other people had attempted the occasional drop shot from the base line in previous matches, and most had found the net. Djokovitch kept doing it and getting them over. They were both playing tactically through each point, rather than just hitting it and hoping the other person missed.

Although, that’s the first game Murray played that was like that – his previous matches were decidedly ropey. But, he had it where it counted 🙂 Maybe he needed some bad games to focus.

I’m not quite sure what else you could ask in terms of entertainment. They were running all over the court all the time.

binners

Here’s another smiling picture for the Monday morning miserablists….

Have you cheered up yet? 😀

jamj1974

Are any of those who criticised David Beckham’s charitable donation last season willing to take the same position on Andy Murray…?

Not me BTW I think both did something rather special!

binners

Oh Christ! Please don’t encourage them!

Especially not straight after a picture of Cheryl 😉

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Didn’t criticise Beckham and wouldn’t criticise Murray for a similar act.

Actually I don’t feel that I’ve criticised Murray at all. From what I saw he worked to his strengths and did what he had to do to beat the man opposite him. My point was that it wasn’t the sort of game that would turn this non tennis fan into a fan.

But you struggled through it manfully anyway

Actually I didn’t, I lost interest entirely mid way through the third set and went to clean and lube my chain instead, got called back in at championship point to see the last couple of points and the presentations.

convert

I thought the most impressive thing about that match was the shear physical endeavour. The gets both sideways across the baseline and the scrambles to the net were immense. And from both players too – I’m not sure even two years (maybe 12months ago) ago there were players physically capable of retrieving some of those balls so frequently.

Baseline tennis can look pretty dull (I used to be bored rigid by it in the 80’s on the women’s side by Chris Everet and co in comparison to the men’s) but I think the way these two develop a point tactically is a step on.

I’m not one for supporting an individual sportsman based just on our shared nationality but even so congrats to Murray – the pressure put on him by the nation’s expectation at Wimbledon must have been massive all these years. He might not have a ‘made for tv’ personality but sod it – his life passion has been to be the best tennis player he can be. Weirdly I can’t perceive Froome in that manner – no idea why…

midlifecrashes

What is it about British women’s tennis they haven’t produced a Wimbledon champion in 36 years?

binners

Christ on a bendybus! Call-me-Dave is cashing in again saying Murray deserves a knighthood.

I blame Blair for this. The bloody need to chip in and piggyback on everything! We don’t care what you think you over-privileged, inflatable-headed cockbag 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

Steady on binners the real debate is salmond getting out a flag and using this for Nationalistic celebration…dont ruin that by suggesting Dave thanking him on behalf of all Britains and suggesting a Knighthood is nationalistic but without a flag

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/nationalist-celebrations?replies=43

Pigface
    Free Member

Cheryl is hideous, a gargoyle of a human being and that is being unfair on Gargoyles. Who is the blond?

zokes
    Free Member

Pigface – Member
    Cheryl is hideous, a gargoyle of a human being and that is being unfair on Gargoyles.

c’mon then piggy, let’s see your missus so we can all pass judgement 🙄

Pigface
    Free Member

After you herr Zokes, its all subjective isn’t it.

binners

Cheryl is hideous? Yes, of course she is. Face like a bashed in crab! I can’t see the appeal at all

zokes
    Free Member

After you herr Zokes, its all subjective isn’t it.

I’m not the one making offensive comments about a woman’s appearance.

Are you John Inverdale in disguise?

jamj1974

Muppetwrangler. Was speaking in general – not to you in particular, apologies if it appeared otherwise I definitely meant no criticism of you.

Pigface
    Free Member

Does John Inverdale have the face of a pig?

Are you a sad troll who is bored before bed time? 😆

zokes
    Free Member

Does John Inverdale have the face of a pig?

Nope, hence why I suggested disguise.

Are you a sad troll who is bored before bed time?

So, as usual, no defence for your mindless remarks, just insults.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Muppetwrangler. Was speaking in general …

No apology required and no offence taken. But thanks anyway.

1981miked
    Free Member

So if u never saw the while game muppetwrangler how do you know it was a bit boring etc?

When 2 players at the top of the game meet it is all about waiting for them to make a mistake and punishing them for it. Djokovic did it plenty during the game, Murray forced him into mistakes and played on the fact he had a 5 hour game on Friday, Djokovic looked heavy legged.

I don’t think any sport is particularly interesting to watch, but as a once a year occasion Wimbledon has me and many others watching and hoping for a British champion, we have that now so lets be happy for him and stop the usual negative comments this country always seems to focus on after success.

Bunnyhop

Now I’m no tennis expert so feel free to flame away. I like Murray, he is a great player (aren’t they all at this level) that you can clearly see the struggles and mental pressure he is under while playing. There is no doubt he has worked very hard to be where he is, he deserves his win. What I also like about him is that he is his own man, no need to play at the celebrity or suck up to anyone. His is what he is take it or leave it.
    Now those that would like to criticize him, what did you win yesterday?

Well said.

The blond above, is a sleb of the highest order. No talent, not even a nice person in real life and probably doesn’t even know what the word charity means – imo of course.

Pigface
    Free Member

Zokes my dear thing Ha ha 😆 sorry you are going to have to up your game if you want me to bite. x x x

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Pigface loses, zokes wins

theblackmount
    Free Member

I found it enthralling personally. Far more interesting than cleaning my chain for example.

>Steady on binners the real debate is salmond getting out a flag and using this for Nationalistic celebration…<

Yeah imagine the leader of the SNP waving a saltire like numerous other Scots men and women in the crowd. How very dare he.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘Wimbledon Andy Murray Content’ is closed to new replies.