William Hague is an idiot

Home Forum Chat Forum William Hague is an idiot

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • William Hague is an idiot
  • vanilla83

Really? So given that the other side won’t go to talks, you want them to fight with sticks and stones? Or just die?

5thElefant

The man is very, very late.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

It’s got absolutely nowt to do with us! Have we really learned so little from all such previous foreign policy catastrophes?

By all means send humanitarian aid, but I can’t think of any conceivable benefit of sending more arms into a region evacuated by anyone with a brain and a sense of self-preservation, leaving it populated almost exclusively by complete head cases! Let ’em get on with it!

wrecker

Pigface +1
    We should have learnt not to arm AQ (which its widely accepted the Syrian rebels are). It’ll bite us in the arse.
    Keep our noses well out.

ernie_lynch

So given that the other side won’t go to talks

What’s your source ? According to the BBC, and a few other news agencies, the Syrian government is prepared to attend peace talks in Geneva.

Syria confirms role in Geneva peace conference

b r

Moderate rebels? And the difference between these and terrorists?

Ah yes, timing.

Search ‘mujahideen’ then ‘taliban’…

grum

Proxy war against Hezbollah/Iran/Russia – what could possibly go wrong?

toxicsoks

grum – Member

Proxy war against Hezbollah/Iran/Russia – what could possibly go wrong?

Indeed.

Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

Humanitarian aid, unquestionably. More weapons? No.

robido

limp wristed springs to mind

ernie_lynch

China is also quite an important player who can’t be simply ignored.

China willing to join Geneva talks on Syria

Much of the problems concerning the international response to the crises in Syria stems from the fact that both Russia and China felt they were wrong footed over Libya, which of course they were. The West far from remaining neutral as agreed at the UN, heavily supported one side in the Libyan conflict. The newly installed Western backed government in Tripoli immediately cancelled contracts with the Chinese. Although ironically Western companies are now pulling out as post-Gaddafi Libya is proving to be too dangerous for them.

deadlydarcy

Without expressing an opinion on this one, who exactly bankrolls weapons purchases by “rebels”? I don’t imagine the kind of stuff they need comes cheaply – are they supplied on credit or what?

Pigface

Wants to send arms to the moderate rebels in Syria, the man is an idiot.

tartanscarf

He is an idiot and it’s a completely ludicrous idea. They seem just as bad as each other, have we learnt nothing from the other mistakes we’ve made?

globalti

This means HMG have decided Assad is doomed so we’d better get cosy with whoever is most likely to be running the country and placing the contracts in future years.

souldrummer

When is this country going to stop sticking its oar in on others affairs. Is Hague really saying that the ‘moderate’ rebels can’t get hold of arms in a region of the world that is absolutely dripping with them!! Madness!! What really worries me is that we seem to be getting ready for a new conflict just as we are getting ready to leave Afghanistan.

Premier Icon mactheknife
    Subscriber

globalti – Member

This means HMG have decided Assad is doomed so we’d better get cosy with whoever is most likely to be running the country and placing the contracts in future years.

Nail on the head.

project

william hague, small man syndrome, David Cameroon away on holiday, so he sticks his hands up and runs screaming rubbish to who ever will listen,nobody is though.

back in your box hague

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

To be fair to the man, he knows arms dealing and he’s always been strong on this (surprisingly small yet very loud) export market to anyone with money.

Junkyard

We should have learnt not to arm AQ (which its widely accepted the Syrian rebels are)

Is it is widely accepted by everyone?

I am not denying that the rainbow coalition of opposition includes Islamic extremists including AQ but it is false to suggest this is all they are or that it is widely accepted.

Difficult call tbh given the external and internal players as it is between a rock and a hard place

Watch an illegitimate govt brutalise its people or join in to make it better [ which it is unlikely to do in the short run]and risk making it even worse

wrecker

Reading between the lines it seems that the US has decided that between AQ and Iran, AQ is the lesser evil. Hague is being used as a mouthpiece for this. I think Uncle Sam is trying not to be seen as meddling, and us, France etc are doing their bidding.
    **** that.
    If America don’t like it, they can go. Otherwise they can sort out their own problems.
    Oh Jy, I thought it was established that AQ are pretty much running the show now.

robdixon

Isn’t the discussion about arming the rebels just a lever to ensure that Assad starts to participate in the formal talks?

chewkw

To OP,

Yes, he is …

Unlike the previous wars in Iraq & Libya where there was no strong support for the regimes but this time things might be very different and someone is going to cry …

I mentioned this earlier in another thread.

chewkw – Member

Before we solve our own problems what is this with the govt(s)(UK & France – now trying to drag EU into the war) wanting to intervene in the Syrian internal conflict?

Shouldn’t the govts put all their efforts in solving their own societal problems first? What a bunch of busy bodies trying to arm the opposition? The problem will come back to roost.

This concept of self appointing world police will back fire in future when, again, we are going to ask the same question again why this happens here again …

If they arm the opposition then the others can also arm the other side.

Talking about creating Demoncracy …

deadlydarcy

Any advance on who pays for arms for the rebels? (Just curious)

wrecker

It’s like a pay day loans thing. That money doesn’t get written off, repayment is expected (in kind) once the new regime is in place.
    All those contracts the new libyans cancelled with the Chinese went to their new friends.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Doesn’t a lot of the funding for hardline extremist organisations, of the type operating in Syria, generally come from Saudi?

deadlydarcy

So how do they pay? From a numbered account in a Swiss bank?

Premier Icon totalshell
    Subscriber

once had the opportunity to discuss nothing of value with young Bill and his then welsh girlfriend on a flight from leeds bradford.. seemed half decent bloke and may be the only shot at a statesman we currently have in british politics..

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

They do some very attractive 0% finance deals on anti tank weaponry at the moment Bravissimo.

I think it’s probably more of a large-bundles-of-cash based economy 😉

chewkw

The Saudi might be providing financial support but is there a need to be a loud mouth to broadcast to the world that UK is getting involved? Even if Saudi is providing financial aid at least they do it silently whereas UK (not even the US) is openly asking to arm the opposition. What a tool …

No wonder everyone hates us. 🙄

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

My mate is an IT toubleshooter paid silly money by the DWP (which is Hague’s actual responsibilty) and idiot is the least offensive term he’d use to describe him

allthepies

kimbers wrote:

My mate is an IT toubleshooter paid silly money by the DWP (which is Hague’s actual responsibilty)

Wouldn’t that be the Secretary for Work and Pensions (IDS) rather than the Foreign Secretary (Hague)?

uselesshippy

It’ll all end in tears.

robdixon

The dwp’s IT systems have been a shambles for a good 10 years ever since John Prescott was specifically cautioned against the proposed changes to existing systems by Microsoft’s Enterprise Consulting team – they have advise to the DWP and ODPM that the changes to accommodate tax credits were complex, open to fraud and would be costly and difficult to administer . That advice was pretty much spot on as it turned out so I’m not sure it’s fair to blame IDS for the mess that the last lot left.

As for Hague, he was a pretty exceptional strategy consultant at McKinsey and is still held on high regard by those who worked with him – he’s certainly no idiot and I rather suspect could run rings round most people.

grum

Oh Jy, I thought it was established that AQ are pretty much running the show now.

It’s not even widely accepted that Al-Qaeda actually exists – certainly not in the way it’s portrayed in the media.

http://www.spiked-online.com/articles/00000006DFED.htm

wrecker

It’s not even widely accepted that Al-Qaeda actually exists

Erm, I think it is.

gordimhor

It certainly seems that the U.S., E.U., Russia,and China are all fairly deeply if indirectly involved in the conflict. Israel and Iran are more directly involved The losers in all of this will be Syrian. It is proxy conflict.

grum

Erm, I think it is.

Read the link, or try one of Jason Burke’s books on the topic. It’s a convenient label for all sorts of disparate groups.

You need to be careful with media ‘facts’ that ‘everyone knows’ without seeing any actual evidence.

wrecker

No doubt an umbrella organisation, they still definitely exist.

Junkyard

Erm, I think it is.

you planning on referencing anything you say or just saying it ?

PS I was first 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘William Hague is an idiot’ is closed to new replies.