Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • William Dalrymple – Return of a King
  • noteeth
    Free Member

Even if you are familiar with the story (the disastrous First Anglo-Afghan War), this is an absolutely outstanding book.

Highly recommended (especially for politicians…).

tang
    Free Member

It’s on my book pile. He is a great writer, looking forward to it over Xmas.

gordimhor

Read his book about the byzantine empire it was well written and very informative.

Moses

I went to a lecture of his at a festival: erudite and well-presented. I’ve read his book about the White Moguls.

Mind, the Flashman stories were easier to read.

somafunk

He’s a very good writer, i also rate Rory Stewart, his work includes : the places inbetween/occupational hazards/the prince of the marshes etc…

slowjo
    Free Member

Just finished From the Holy Mountain for about the third time. Interestingly, he was spot on about the mess in the Middle East, predicting what would happen, who would get it in the neck etc. Highly entertaining while informative and thought provoking all at the same time.

scaredypants

only one I’ve read is “In Xanadu” ages ago – really enjoyed it

top tips for my next effort from his catalogue ?

gordimhor

From the Holy Mountain was the one I meant slowjo .The section on Syria was particularly sad as he related ancient history to incidents at the time of writing in the 90s and now the same place names crop up in the news over and over again. A really excellent book.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘William Dalrymple – Return of a King’ is closed to new replies.