Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Will this work – 9 speed to 10 speed
  • lank45
    Free Member

So looking at converting to 10 speed, going to buy cassette, shifters, chain and rear mech. Question is will I need to change my chainset or change the rings and also would the front mech also need to go?

asterix
    Free Member

Road bike or MTB? What groupset? Watch out for shifter brake compatibiliy

lank45
    Free Member

It will be on the MTB, plan is with this evans super sale to get an xt cassette, xtr shadow plus rear mech and slx shifters, but leave my race face cranks running 22/36 with Middleburn rings and an SLX front mech. The front mech is 9 speed, but I will be replacing the front shifter too. Recipe for disaster?

svalgis
    Free Member

That should work just fine.

asterix
    Free Member

Yeh sounds OK, shouldn’t be a problem with front shifter

lank45
    Free Member

thank you, off a spending I go 😀

lank45
    Free Member

next question, SLX or XT cassette? XTR/XT/SLX chain?

tmb467
    Free Member

Question – do you NEED to change the rear mech as its still moving the same?

lank45
    Free Member

no it works, but needs new jockey wheels, just an excuse to buy a new drivetrain which I need half of any way

lank45
    Free Member

sram chain, sounds like a better option

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

kmc chain even better option

lank45
    Free Member

which one would you recommend pitchpro?

njee20
    Free Member

Question – do you NEED to change the rear mech as its still moving the same?

Yes you do, different pull ratios. Road are interchangeable – hence why the “road or MTB” question was necessary, but MTB ones aren’t.

no it works, but needs new jockey wheels, just an excuse to buy a new drivetrain which I need half of any way

See above.

But yes, what you’re planning to do will be fine.

JohnnyPanic

Are the pull ratios of a 9x three speed front mech the same as the 10x three speed front mech?

asterix
    Free Member

But the middle position is in the middle and you have upper and lower limit screws don’t you. So does it matter?

njee20
    Free Member

If the mech only moves 1/2 the amount for each ‘shift’ then it really matters…

They’re interchangeable though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Will this work – 9 speed to 10 speed’ is closed to new replies.