• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by paule.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Will this laptop run Zwift?
  • luv2ride
    Free Member

Microsoft Surface Intel Core i5-7200U (2.5 GHz), 8GB RAM, running Windows 10 Pro

Daughter has just upgraded from this for Uni, so idly thinking this might be my chance to finally jump on Zwift if it will run it OK…

tomnavman
    Free Member

Specs wise, that should be fine, but in my experience the surface tablets never perform well due to overheating which then means the processor thermally throttles to slower speeds

I guess what I’m trying to say is you won’t lose anything by trying!

luv2ride
    Free Member

@tomnavman. Interesting you say about overheating, I’ve noticed the bottom casing gets very warm! As you say, no harm in trying…this is the laptop, not the tablet mind

seriousrikk

If it works but gets warm, one of those cooling bases might help

nixie

What gpu does it have? That will be the limiting factor.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Should run fine, zwift runs on older intel iGPU’s than that.

luv2ride
    Free Member

I think the GPU is an Intel HD 620…

ta11pau1

It’ll run it, just at the very lowest settings and probably less than 30fps.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Off the top of my head, that sounds a very similar spec Surface to the 4 my better half has had for ~8 years and I get to use more sporadically these days for Zwift, used to be regularly used before the Zwift Android app got better and my mobile upgraded.

The Surface runs Zwift fine, however, in recent months it has developed an issue with overheating while simply surfing the web. Worked fine for the Zwift Insider Tiny Races quartet on Saturday afternoon, but was red hot after ~80mins use… Must remember to set up a fan blowing over it next time!

I use an Amazon Basics 3m USB lead and an ANT+ dongle with it, rather than native Bluetooth.

savoyad

Try it. But I think it’ll be fine. Basically I predict:
    The game will run perfectly nearly all the time.
    Graphics will be locked to the lowest level but that’s normal across a huge range of devices, including some of the most popular.
    And you will get framerate slowdowns and limited visibility up ahead in massive events, but it won’t matter (again widespread and normal).

BenjiM

Be interesting to try running it through Geforce Now and Steam. Shouldn’t have any performance issues then. Might give it a go tonight!

IHN

On a kinda related note, what’s the cheapest way to get a dedicated PC to run Zwift at a decent. i.e. higher than the basic if not all super duper, graphics level?

I’ve been using wither the Android app on a 10″ tablet or a Surface Pro for the past couple of winters, both of which run at bog-basic Zwift settings. Thig is I’ve now got an old 24″ monitor that I can use to embiggen the experience and I’m wondering whether to just attach it to the Surface using a HDMI lead, or get a dedicated PC to allow me to have some better graphics.

nixie

@IHN it doesn’t need to be that great. Old business spec desktops with an older better GPU are more than enough.

IHN

Cheers

Old business spec desktops with an older better GPU are more than enough.

So what do I need to look out for spec/GPU-wise?

stumpy01

IHN

On a kinda related note, what’s the cheapest way to get a dedicated PC to run Zwift at a decent. i.e. higher than the basic if not all super duper, graphics level?

Are you on Facebook? If so, join the “ZPCMR – Zwift PC Masters & Riders” group.
    There is a ton of info on there & people doing regular PC builds for sale. The page creator Dave Higgins regularly posts bargain PCs for sale on there.
    I bought one from him earlier this year & it runs in ultra mode no problem at the 1440p setting. Apart from the wi-fi card not being suitable for my mesh set-up (so I replaced it) it has been rock-solid. It cost me £200.

Dave posted an ebay link yesterday to a PC for sale that will run Zwift in Ultra mode at 1440p mode for £143.

EDIT

Regarding the spec of mine…..it’s
    i3-4130 processor
    GTX960 graphics card
    8gb RAM
    120GB SSD
    600w PSU

IHN

That’s useful Stumpy, ta

nixie

Stumpy beat me too it, was going to post the same FB group :D.

paule
    Free Member

Do you have a reasonably modern smartphone? As my S10e happily runs Zwift or RGT and then connects to a TV with a Samsung DeX connector. Hopefully will also connect with a simple USB-c to HDMI cable too, as I’ve got one coming on Wednesday and that will cut the cables down from 2 to 1.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.