Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • Will they ever give up???
  • zokes
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20896050

Face it, the islanders see themselves as British. There endeth the argument until they see themselves as Argentinian. What is that woman’s problem with comprehending this?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I though you meant the cheap kitchen people.

Peyote
    Free Member

It’s just political posturing to keep the Argentinian proles voting for her. Standard sabre-rattling type stuff. I suppose they may also argue that if they shipped in a few thousand Argentinians then the self-determination argument would swing in their favour. Much like the British did when the Flaklands were last colonised. Not sure if there were any natives originally…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

When luck and voodoo economics run out, you are left clutching at anniversary straws, perhaps?

IHN

It’s a point of principal on both sides.

Oh, and the fishing rights and the the abundance of oil and gas reserves to be found in the territorial waters.

But mainly principal.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is she also petitioning the Spanish to give back the vast swathes of South America “stolen” by the Conquistadors? 😉

Nope. Thought not.

molgrips
    Free Member

I always thought it a bit rich that a colonial country is whingeing about colonialism.

trailmonkey

The Argentines on the Islands were expelled by the Royal Navy and the United Kingdom subsequently began a population implantation process similar to that applied to other territories under colonial rule

such as errrrrrrrrr argentina ?

handing over sovereignty in the falklands isn’t about ending colonialism, it’s about transfering colonial ownership.

deviant
    Free Member

You have to love the irony.
    Her claim on the islands is based on them being inherited from Spain….another famous colonial power, so it’s ok for Spain to claim these islands and then end up giving them to Argentina but not for the UK to have any kind of colonial claim on them?
    She may also want to look in a mirror, she doesn’t look south American to me….not like an indigenous south American anyway….I’d wager her ancestry is via Spain too.
    Tricky business this preaching about colonial era nonsense….her country is founded on Spanish colonialism and now she wants to exercise Argentine colonialism over disputed islands.

zokes
    Free Member

Is she also petitioning the Spanish to give back the vast swathes of South America “stolen” by the Conquistadors?

This

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The only thing it’s about is oil and gas.

athgray
    Free Member

I like the part where she claims the islands were inherited from Spain, then mentions the islands proximity to Argentina. Using this rationale, surely the islands should not have been Spain’s to give.

zippykona

Been done a million times but if they were attacked again could we hold them?
    Ps this is just a cue for the people who know about these things to talk about rockets and planes.

toys19
    Free Member

Can we start a fund to club together and place some rebuttal ads in the Argentine papers? That might shut her up..

zokes
    Free Member

I believe that the UK was accused by Argentina of warmongering after replacing the Tornadoes stationed down there with Eurofighters, and sending a T45 down there on a ‘routine’ exercise / patrol.

Despite all that warmongering, no war happened.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Just a look at the map will tell you who has more rights to the Falkland Isles . Trying to keep them British has been a massive waste of taxpayers money over the years . Had Argentina used diplomacy rather than military force in 1982 Britain was prepared to hand them over .The comment from somebody in government at the time that ” seduction was encouraged but rape was unacceptable ” sums up the position of the British Government at the time .

zokes
    Free Member

Just a look at the map will tell you who has more rights to the Falkland Isles

Interesting logic. Flawed, but interesting, nonetheless.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Two words.

Self determination.

But yes would we/they be so bothered if it wasnt for the prospect of the oil, gas & fishing?

Im not so sure…

peterfile
    Free Member

Just a look at the map will tell you who has more rights to the Falkland Isles .

Does that mean I own my neighbour’s holiday home?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

peterfile – Member
    Just a look at the map will tell you who has more rights to the Falkland Isles .
    Does that mean I own my neighbour’s holiday home?

Yes unless they are Spanish or had been on holiday there 500 years ago.

zokes
    Free Member

It should certainly mean I own the house I’m renting – I definitely live nearer to it (i.e. in it), wrt our landlady.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Interesting logic. Flawed, but interesting, nonetheless.

Because all the other logic on here is perfect I suppose .

hora
    Free Member

Have you seen what she is doing to Argentina? Shes royally **** the country right up. She has NO interest in liberating the Falklands- its like using ‘terrorists live next door to you’ as used by US/UK governments to scare populace from their governments **** ups..

What was the last line she used? Financial colonialism to justify her latest move on the markets at home….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Correct
    See what it says at the bottom?

zokes
    Free Member

Because all the other logic on here is perfect I suppose .

I refer you to a fundamental human right:

Self determination.

DezB
    Free Member

Not sure what difference it makes to anyone who doesn’t live there.
    It’s not like they’ll be coming for the Isle of Wight next.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Meanwhile, in a damp, musty garret room in Edinburgh…..

😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not sure what difference it makes to anyone who doesn’t live there.

Eeeeegggzzzakkkkllyyy!!!

zokes
    Free Member

Meanwhile, in a damp, musty garret room in Edinburgh…..

The impotent rage of the chagossians?

marcus7
    Free Member

I miss TJ on these threads, still ernie will be along soon to tell us about how popular she is and that the UK parties can only dream of that kind of approval…..

zokes
    Free Member

still ernie will be along soon to tell us about how popular she is and that the UK parties can only dream of that kind of approval

Shortly followed by him saying you’re putting words in his mouth, no doubt

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wow, even when he can’t be here to defend himself, people still want to have a go.

retro83
    Free Member

Presumably she’s still trying to distract from this sentiment:

http://news.sky.com/story/1009144/argentina-protests-over-cristina-fernandez

grantway
    Free Member

Thing that got me was that I heard England was on the tip
    of giving the Falklands back but then Argentina invaded.

Also no doubt the Politicians use the agenda to get voted in power
    and thats why its raised its ugly head again

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Remembering the 80s conflict- it rescued to unpopular despots from ignomy ,both Thatcher and Galtieri were low in the opoinion polls , cue flag waving , cheesy patriotic gestures and an expensive war that we are still paying for .As in so many areas of life we seem to be repeating the eighties

kimbers

its just pointless political posturing

and really doesnt deserve the coverage it gets

still im sure it rattles plenty of blazer wearing codgers enough that they have to rant about it to their long suffering wife from behind their copy of the telegraph over poached eggs and smoked salmon of a morning

(ive actually seen this happen except it was a H&S gone mad rant)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

still im sure it rattles plenty of blazer wearing codgers enough that they have to rant about it to their long suffering wife from behind their copy of the telegraph over poached eggs and smoked salmon of a morning

😆

andrewh
    Free Member

Ps this is just a cue for the people who know about these things to talk about rockets and planes

I was thinking about this. If we had the political will to sink a dozen Belgrano’s I think yes we could.
    There are enough British troops there to hold off any sort of airbourne invasion, so Argentina parachuting a force in wouldn’t work.
    We have enough submarines that we could stop any ships reaching the islands, if we had the will to sink them all. A seabourne invasion is out. I think yes, we could hold them.
    If the worst happened could we retake them again? I doubt it, not without borrowing a carrier or two from somewhere (it’s all very well the government saying we could share the French ones but would they send one down to the south Atlantic at the first sign of trouble? I doubt it)
    If I were Argentinian how would I go about invading? I think the best plan would be a massive sea-bourne invasion, but not with boats or ships, I’m thinking of ‘Caspian sea-monster-stlye’ echranoplans, they would be ideal for something like this. Very difficult for our submarines to attack and without a carrier there very hard for us to attack at all. They could bring in large number of men very quickly, en mass, and the advantage of them over an invasion by paratroops is the quantity of armour and artillery they could carry too. If Argentina is secretly building a couple of dozen of those we would be in trouble.

I believe Spain say the same about Gibralter. But oddly enough, not about those islands they have off the coast of Morrocco and who’s name I can’t remember.
    Also, if you follow this logic would you propose giving the channel islands to France or invading Ireland?

zokes
    Free Member

I still don’t understand what she wants to negotiate about. The islanders consider themselves British, the UK government considers the islands to be British, the Argentinians consider them to be Argentinian.

Not a huge amount of middle ground for negotiating there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I still don’t understand what she wants to negotiate about

Enough Oil to get them out of economic sh**e really. It’s quite simple really. It has nothing to do with what they say.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Will they ever give up???’ is closed to new replies.