• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Will the BBC do a feature on me?
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

At school I was called a speccy ****, just because I wore glasses and was a ****. I got joked about. I feel so sad now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46140985

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Really **** is in the swear filter? 😶

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How did it impact you? Are glasses wearers more likely to commit suicide? Is there a general social stigma over wearing glasses? Did you have to conceal your glasses wearing?

kelron
    Free Member

I agree, bullying is a lot of fun and we need more of it.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/parenting/kids-who-wear-glasses-feel-worse-about-themselves-studies-find/article4560153/

https://www.reviewofoptometry.com/article/kids-who-wear-glasses-are-bully-magnets

Preadolescent children who wear glasses or eye patches are more than one-third more likely to be bullied than other kids, says a study in Aprils Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. Interestingly, the numbers were the same regardless of social class, gender or the childs visual impairment.

A hunch tells me that might lead to an increased suicide risk, later in life. But I can’t find any studies to back it up.

jonnyboi

I don’t know about later life, but it certainly caused me to think about it during my teenage years.

rene59
    Free Member

I agree, bullying is a lot of fun and we need more of it.

Kids in school used to bully me due to my enormous walloper. Showering was akward after PE due to the abuse they would dole out as a group. Horsecock, anaconda, king dong, just some of the names they would call me. I was made to do tricks with it for their entertainment. Some of the girls would sneak in to the boys changing room for a peek and they wouldn’t leave again until I caved in and let them touch it.

At school discos I was groped all the time, one group used to make me perform sex acts in front of them. Glad when I eventually left school, being a PE teacher was a lot tougher than they said it would be.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Beaten to a pulp and tied to a fence in the desert and left to die for wearing glasses, I think, wait, no it was something else.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45968606

project
    Free Member

For some people coming to terms with their sexuality is a problem, it may cause depression and suicidal thought, involve being bullied by others, the theme of the article is to show its more prominent in the LGBTQ people, hopefully as time goes on more and more people will be accepting of a persons sexuality, and thus the stigma of mental health may vanish  with it.

moose
    Free Member

Wow! I really didn’t know kids are actually evil little shits…

I kid. Only a little. I sympathise with her, bullies are shits as are their hangers-on. Unfortunately schools and teachers are pretty powerless to stop it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Unfortunately schools and teachers are pretty powerless to stop it.

Which is actually where stuff like this comes in, attitudes start with parents, become reinforced by friends and media etc.

moose
    Free Member

Indeed. But the parents are either in denial their little diamond could do such a thing, or they’re mouth-breathers that don’t care.

Bullies are usually acting out due to an external stressor, shame there’s no real way of holding parents to account.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Will the BBC do a feature on me?

I doubt it.

theotherjonv

Kids have the capability to be right little ****s. Whether it’s glasses, sexuality, weight, sticky out ears, a funny name….. everyone has something they can be picked on for. Fortunately as adults we’re way better than that – you’d like to think.

Unfortunately schools and teachers are pretty powerless to stop it.

Which is actually where stuff like this comes in, attitudes start with parents, become reinforced by friends and media etc.

Amen. Our school has a parents’ facebook page, which has become a bit of a moaners corner over various issues not least ‘why isn’t the school doing more about bullies’.  I happen to know that there are several on there whose kids are if not the ringleaders, then certainly the hangers on. Sort the issue out yourself, parents, it’s called parental responsibility.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Probably not, but they may consider a piece on the anguish you suffered having been censored on an internet forum.

DrJ

Are you a racist nutjob? A lying cheat? If f so you’ll be on Marr any day now, never mind a small article on a website.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Will the BBC do a feature on me?’ is closed to new replies.