Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Will SRAM brakes all be mineral oil within five years?
  • Rubber_Buccaneer

Having watched SRAM’s recent brake videos this has come as a bit of a surprise to me

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/sram-quietly-launches-new-db8-mineral-oil-brakes.html

Ok, they are selling them as a low maintenance brake for lazy ebikers but is it the tip of the iceberg?

zerocool

I think the chances are high if Mineral is better for the environment than DOT.

teethgrinder

Seems fitting that people too lazy to pedal themselves up a hill under 100% their own power can get brakes they’re to lazy to maintain.

DOT4LYF

chainbreaker
    Free Member

I think the answer to that is probably, because the mtb world in general seems to whinge about dot fluid (unless it comes to hope brakes strangely enough) although theres nothing wrong with either dot or mineral, they both just need maintained differently and have different characteristics.

Rubber_Buccaneer

theres nothing wrong with either

I use both (where appropriate) but given the choice I’d choose mineral purely because I’m less paranoid about it damaging paint etc. dot sure is more convenient to buy though

desperatebicycle

Seems fitting that people too lazy to pedal themselves up a hill under 100% their own power can get brakes they’re to lazy to maintain.

This is true. But I’ve got an ebike with Shimano brakes and I just bled someone else’s Guide brakes with Dot 5.1. So I’m quite confused as to how lazy I’m being.

bigfoot
    Free Member

DOT will damage paint but it’s not like it’s instant, as long as you clean it off resonably quickly no harm done.

thols2

It’s not. Mineral oil is terrible for the environment.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got DOT all over the place many times in the past, never had it damage paint. I did get it on a car tyre though, it did mess that up a bit because I didn’t notice and left it.

dyna-ti

It’s not. Mineral oil is terrible for the environment.

As is the production of plastic, aluminum, steel etc etc. All of which go into bicycle manufacturing. Then of course we have that and lithium for ebikes.

nickjb
    Free Member

It is better but both are pretty poor. Where mineral oil brakes probably win is that they have the potential to use more environmentally fluid if there is the will to make it.

mert
    Free Member

Where mineral oil brakes probably win is that they have the potential to use more environmentally fluid if there is the will to make it.

There was a demo at work a few years ago for a company offering bio sourced and bio degradable oils for automotive use. They had a wide range of replacements for mineral/hydraulic oils in development.

It was an interesting concept, and I’m sure it’s still being investigated by that part of the business. (But a lot of the issues with disposing of oils in automotive is the stuff being carried in suspension in the oil, which this doesn’t solve.)

smiffy

What are the environmental impacts and how do they compare?

niceandy
    Free Member

It’s certainly an interesting development by SRAM.

I’m not sure why folk have such strong opinions about brake fluid though. One of my bikes runs mineral oil and another with Dot. Both sets of brakes work very well and I can’t say I notice that one needs bleeding before the other. Sure, it’d be nice if the industry standardised, but we all know that’s never going to happen.

nickc

Which is the cheaper? That’s probs more pertinent than environmental concerns (says the cynic in me)

scruff
    Free Member

My old dog used to lick the overspill DOT off the garage floor, he loved it.

paton
    Free Member

What did it die of?

paton
    Free Member
    Rubber_Buccaneer

Just resurrecting this thread to claim I foretold the future and the DB8 was indeed the trojan horse for SRAM mineral oil brakes

exhibit a.

SRAM Maven Ultimate Expert Kit: first ride review

elray89
    Free Member

I have a question.

Why can’t we use water for hydraulic brakes? Is it because it is too compressible?

Rubber_Buccaneer
    wbo
    Free Member

It’s less compressible, and at the low pressures in bicyclw brakes apply it won’t matter. But it’s tricky to get the plumbing and seals to stay in good condition.

tall_martin

Well predicted 😃

scotroutes

I think we need to know how DOT fluid reacts with Titanium

thols2

Why can’t we use water for hydraulic brakes? Is it because it is too compressible?

It has a low boiling point. In an emergency, you can use fresh water as brake fluid, just keep your speed down and don’t get the brakes too hot.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I bled a friend’s brake with water halfway down the KLL side of the Devil’s Staircase. We went on to ride the Cieran Path and no-one died. I did warn him to keep the speed generally low. It was sub-zero too.

He popped a piston in a cack handed and ill-timed pad change.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.