Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Will road bikes ever get bigger wheels?
  • psling
    Free Member

I’d have thought bigger wheels on road bikes would make the most sense on tourers where steady speed performance and comfort would take precedence over acceleration and low weight.

Interestingly, tourers often come with smaller (26″) wheels for strength.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

32 inch wheeled go-anywhere bike? Another niche for Surly to fill?
    How about a 32 inch Cross Check?

FOG

A few years ago a mate of mine had a custom road bike built by Dave lloyd who was doing research into wheel size at the time and concluded 26″ was best for road racing [!]. Unfortunately my mate is 6′ 4″ and the bike looked really weird and even weirder with him on it. Needless to say he bought a 700c bike shortly after although I think the Lloydy still lurks in his cellar.

oldgit
    Free Member

Discs weigh more but the rim is lighter.
    The rim has more rotating inertia as its further from the centre so it makes sense to move the weight further in.
    I’m no expert at all but I’ll buy into the disc arguments

Disc/aero rims are generally heavier than standard rims, but are considered faster. Far heavier disc hubs, lumps of cast alloy and discs are considered less aero.
    But what will be will be. Personally I think discs look vile, prefer concealed.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Disc/aero rims are generally heavier than standard rims, but are considered faster. Far heavier disc hubs, lumps of cast alloy and discs are considered less aero.
    But what will be will be. Personally I think discs look vile, prefer concealed

I really like the Magura hydro rim brakes, they look many awesums. Don’t know how they work though.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Will road bikes ever get bigger wheels?’ is closed to new replies.