Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Will Nexus 4 phone ever be in stock again in the UK (from Google)?
  • higgo
    Free Member

Will I ever be able to buy one of these direct?

Speculation is fine.
    Knowledge/facts even better.

bearnecessities

Knowledge/facts even better

You know you’ve posted this on STW?

higgo
    Free Member

You know you’ve posted this on STW?

Yes, yes – it happened once – I was here when someone posted a fact.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I got one ordered late December, arrived last week.

It was online to order for about half an hour before going out of stock though – I only got it because I signed up for an email and they seem to have removed that option.

Joe

higgo
    Free Member

I can’t even find a decent rumour online about when it might be in stock again.

SkillWill
    Free Member
    hora
    Free Member

I’m guessing the Exec’s are shocked by how popular it was at that price and are putting a window-dressing tweak on it then whacking the price up towards the other mid/high end phones…

Cynical?

toby1

Well unlike joemarshall I ordered one on 5/12 and there’s hasn’t been any contact from them since – fact!

chvck
    Free Member

I ordered mine in the last batch and it came the last week of December. I think that I read somewhere that LG are lagging on the production front.

higgo
    Free Member

Rumour is it won’t, will be replaced soon:

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/google-nexus-4-sequel-could-be-way-way-sooner-than-expected-50010156/

Replaced with an updated 4G version with more memory and (most importantly) stock at the same price and I’m a happy boy.

z1ppy

yeah can you really see that happening…

EDIT: I would have replace my iphone with one if I could have gotten hold of one (at google play’s prices) but it seem a 2nd hand iphone will probably be my next purchase instead.

deviant
    Free Member

LG arent used to shifting the amount of phones that Samsung and Apple ship so they got caught on the hop….the fact it turned out to be a blinder and was cheap meant it was a hit….cant understand why nobody at Google or LG saw this coming?!
    Anyway, imminent replacement or not rest assured it will be cheap….the tech sites are confident that Google has very little interest in trying to turn a profit on the Nexus devices, the idea is to sell at near cost prices and get the Android OS out there loaded with all of Google’s services….that is where Google still makes the bulk of its money.

The exception to this maybe Motorola (which Google now own)….there is a pure Google/Android Motorola phone in development which Google may be interested in making profitable as they actually own the hardware this time….this is the speculation on tech sites but it may end up as simply another Nexus device sold at cost but from a different manufacturer in order to spread the Nexus/Android name around….so far HTC, Samsung, Asus (tablet) and LG have made pure Android devices under the Nexus banner….now simply Motorola’s turn?

Personally i think it is also a demonstration by Google to the hardware companies (Samsung, HTC, LG, Huawei, Sony, Motorola etc) that pure Android/Nexus devices are potentially more popular (and therefore profitable) than ‘skinned’ devices….as good as my HTC One-S is i’d much rather it didnt have HTC’s ‘sense UI’ all over it….

….perhaps even a thinly veiled threat to the other handset manufacturers to stop tinkering with the Android OS or they’ll take it off open source and only Motorola will have access to Android?

Interestingly the Huawei Ascend P1 shipped with both stock Android and a skinned version and on booting up the phone you get to choose which you want….perhaps the best option for all concerned?, the hardware companies get to continue making custom skins but keep Google happy by bundling stock Android as an option on the boot menu.

Bimbler
    Free Member

The Nexus 4 issues: LG finally explains itself

Is the Nexus 4 production going to stop?

LG refuted this information [rumors said that the korean group planned to stop the production]. The Nexus 4 is not stopping. On the contrary, the pace will increase. Starting mid-February, there will no longer be any tension in the market.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Will Nexus 4 phone ever be in stock again in the UK (from Google)?’ is closed to new replies.