• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • will my friend die if… (warning panniers and tt bike content)
  • StuF

she tries to use her quintana roo chicqilo tt bike to go on day trips with panniers. She only wants to take one bike on holiday with her.

Apart from the small problem of attaching the rack to the bike (p-clips would sort this), would the frame crumple into a heap if it was loaded up with some panniers?

I’m thinking it’s not such a good idea.

wwaswas

brant advised me not to fit a pannier with p-clips to a P-X superlight Al a few years back as the stays werent; up to it. He did suggest one of those panniers that clamps around the seatpost – might be worth a look if the bike has a round seatpost?

Or either a frame bag or a rucksack but, tbh, how anyone expects to go for a relaxing say trip on a TT bike is beyond me.

Edric64
    Free Member

I would have thought a pure race bike would handle badly loaded up with panniers .Why does she need panniers for a day trip ? A carradice saddlebag may be better even the smallest one called the barley can hold a weekends kit if you pack sensibly.At L`eroica last weekend mine carried a jersey ,base layer ,a merino jumper ,a waterproof ,tools and a spare 750ml bottle

TiRed

How much stuff does she want to take? If it’s just for day rides, I’d go for a Topeak MTX beam rack and bag. If she wants to go touring, then I suspect the all-up weight including herself is still pretty light compared with (ahem) riders of greater deportment. She’ll be fine either way.

midlifecrashes

As above, a Carradice will take as much as a pannier, you could add a handlebar bag too without attaching stuff that will rub on the frame. Bit of gaffer tape on the seatpost before putting the bag on will avoid rubbing. Carradice sell little bolt on adapters for saddles without bag loops.

StuF

She looked at the seat post rack mounts but it’s an aero seat tube so they won’t fit.

As for why?? I don’t know, nor how much stuff she wants to take. A big saddle bag might be the answer as she is quiet petite

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Day ride? Small backpack or a big saddlebag as above. It’s not that hardcore a tri bike, but it still won’t be lovely for longer, leisurely day rides.

Aidan
    Free Member

Bikepacking bags maybe? Frame bag or saddlebag/harness from the likes of Wildcat, Revelate or Alpkit?

Less weight and more centred load.

Aidan
    Free Member

PS I’ve used reasonably large bikepacking saddlebags on a road bike before and it felt a bit dodgy when stood up and honking on the pedals, but fine if I kept it to sitting and spinning.

I don’t imagine the load is that much different than a fat bloke riding the bike.

bencooper
    Free Member

There are some racks that attach to the rear axle – Tubus can for instance. But with any weight on the frame will probably be horribly whippy.

Large saddlebag and bar bag probably better.

igm

Axle mount pannier rack?

cleanerbybike
    Free Member

Borrow a bike trailer, one that attaches at the rear axle?

qwerty
    Free Member

WITCH!!! DIP HER!!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

one bike – unless shes going on holiday to do a high level race.

id be taking my road bike or MTB for day trips and even amateur racing over a TT bike

a days riding on a TT bike will have you wanting to cut your own shoulders off with the soup spoon at dinner

BigDummy
    Free Member

This just goes to show that if you only have one bike it should never, ever be a TT bike.

🙂

Olly
    Free Member

or a Downhill sled

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘will my friend die if… (warning panniers and tt bike content)’ is closed to new replies.