will it ever stop raining

Home Forum Bike Forum will it ever stop raining

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • will it ever stop raining
  • Drier settled spell on its way from the end of this week.

lucien

I was just thinking the same thing, go the day off, planning to ride and looked out the window. It’s dark, raining, windy and trails are trashed, how depressing ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber
    Keva

here in the sunny south there is six hours of unbroken sunshine forecast for tomorrow ๐Ÿ™‚

passtherizla

been drenched since the 20th of december! needs to stop.

rudebwoy

give it six months–it’ll be ‘when will it rain again !

Jamie

Dry here, but currently at Wizard of Oz levels of wind speed.

PeterPoddy

Today is the last wet day for a while. Trust me.

It stopped raining down here in Plymouth . . . . but that was back in 2009.

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

For the first time in several years I took the dog for a road only walk this morning because I’m sick of constantly trudging through mud. ๐Ÿ™

rexated

VERY FED UP

thepodge

Waterproofs

I’m just off out because getting drenched is better than staying cooped up in the house

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

According to the long range forecasts, yes, in February when it’ll get cold. Unless the jet stream fails to move then its just more rain…..

grum

6 of the 10 wettest years on record since 1998, with this year set to be another one. Seriously might have to emigrate somewhere with better weather if this keeps up.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

My hunch, based on no scientific evidence whatsoever, is this weather pattern is with us for a year or 2, just like the previous 2 years of drought/dry winters.

stevede

It’s not riding in the bad weather but the fact that all my local trails are absolutely trashed and zero fun for me, way past the loose and drifty novelty fun stage and now a slog just to keep moving ๐Ÿ™

Premier Icon darrell
    Subscriber

Seriously might have to emigrate somewhere with better weather if this keeps up.

dont move to Norway then. Its even worse here

aphex_2k

A bit of rain would be nice. It’s been 40c the past few days. Too hot to ride. Forced to stay up drinking ice cold beers til all hours.

logical

How about??

Along with some of these, some of these and these. Bit of rain never hurt anyone. I like the rain. My bikes are fine in it as well. No big nonsense full sussers that need a wash after every ride.

sailor74

I was thinking the same as mattjg.

Still, everyone complains but I dont think for a second it will prompt anyone to change their ways and try to actually make a difference to the obvious climate problems we are creating for ourselves.

aphex_2k

A bit of rain would be nice. It’s been 40c the past few days. Too hot to ride. Forced to stay up drinking ice cold beers til all hours. Forced to double post too it seems.

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

It managed to stop for about 6 hours yesterday. But I have so many jobs to catch up with around the house and garden a ride was out of the question. Plus all the trials are trashed. And I’ve no enthusiasm to go for a road ride.

In short I don’t like riding in the rain. Too many years commuting in the wet for it to be enjoyable. It’s something I can tolerate rather than enjoy. As for slogging through deep mud? I’ll save that for Mountain Mayhem. ๐Ÿ˜‰

fandango

Panic not! Back to work on Wednesdayโ€ฆ that’ll bring on a good spell of dry sunny days and fast rolling frozen trails!!

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

local weather buff produces this.
    Pretty bleak reading. Since April this year, it’s been an almost steady climb, very few steep steps in the cumulative line. Just day after day rain and more rain.

mdavids

will it ever stop raining

Yes!!! gale force winds will blow it away.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

PP – To be precise, rain didnt kill him. Swollen river water did.
    Coincidentally he had a reservation to eat at one of my local pubs the following day. Tragic all round.

ds1

total annual rainfall at Heathrow in mm 1948 – Nov 2012

So it could be worse I suppose

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

Still, everyone complains but I dont think for a second it will prompt anyone to change their ways and try to actually make a difference to the obvious climate problems we are creating for ourselves.

I quit fretting about this ages ago because on an individual basis there is absolutely nothing any of us can do about it.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

What I have found depressing is the combination of incessant rain plus high winds. Local trails are saturated and not worth riding but the road ride alternative in strong gusty winds is not much fun. Living in a high, exposed area we are never at risk of flooding but aree continually pelted by these streaming sw weather systems.

PeterPoddy

6 of the 10 wettest years on record since 1998, with this year set to be another one. Seriously might have to emigrate somewhere with better weather if this keeps up.

What would you have done when the Thames used to freeze over every winter? ๐Ÿ˜‰
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Thames_frost_fairs

PeterPoddy

PP – To be precise pedantic to make a point, rain didnt kill him. Swollen river water did.

I suppose the swollen river happened because someone left a tap on?

Rain causes floods. Floods kill. No 2 ways about it. ๐Ÿ™‚

This, for example, could have been a massacre
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boscastle_flood_of_2004

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Better off having a bit of rain than a heatwave

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3139694.stm

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

You appear to be confusing climate with weather.

Kuco

We’ve been doing flood response since the end of February ๐Ÿ™ Love to have some nice dry weather for a while.

rogerthecat

Just about to head off into 18mph winds and horizontal rain – it’s only weather! ๐Ÿ˜€

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

Better off having a bit of rain than a heatwave

+1. Wanna live in a desert? Not me. Our green and pleasant land needs rain (tho perhaps not this much!)

It was barely raining this morning so I went out for a while. The trick is to dress comfortably but then climb mostly on road and just descend off road and don’t widen the trails. Slogging miserable; Slithering is fun!

Heaving down at mo. bike will get a quick hose down when it eases.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘will it ever stop raining’ is closed to new replies.