Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Will it ever stop raining?
  • smogmonster

Is it my imagination, or has this last 3-4 months been wetter than any other late summer/Autumn than i can remember? We had that heatwave and then it seems to have almost incessantly since late July….and i live on the ‘dry’ side of the Pennines, God knows what the West side has been like? I never had to ride in the rain so much…id never ride the bike if i didnt. Or am i making it up?

scotroutes

It’s been variable across the UK. Some areas are drier than usual.

martymac

I think it has been a little wetter than normal.
    It has definitely rained every time I’ve been off work since September though.

jam-bo
    bearnecessities

West Yorks checking in.

A rough, and unbiased, estimation of weather since end of September is:

rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, really cold, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain, really cold, rain, rain, rain, rain

sun

rain, rain, rain, rain, really cold, rain, rain, rain….

Edit: My Dad, in Devon, has had it even worse – just less cold 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I too think it’s been wetter than “normal” (whatever normal is supposed to be) But I have noticed down this way that we’ve had shorter hotter summers (as in weeks not months, indispersed with mild windy rain) and longer more windy and frequent rain..

But that could be because I decided to take some time out this year so managed to see the weather “every day”

I am a bit pissed off with the wind from the South East.. East or North East, that seems very odd to me considering our prevailing wind is from the South West and could (once upon a time) be pretty much relied upon..

Coming from the East/SE/NE seems to bring chilling temps much lower than I’m used to.

timbog160

@bearnecessities

I can only speak for ‘Uddersfield but you’ve had one more day of sun than we’ve had…

Absolute s*ite!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yep, it’s been a wet old Autumn. I’m hoping for a couple of cold frosty rides and a early Spring.

supernova

We’ve been told for years that our end of the sh1tty global warming stick is warm and wet weather. Now we’re reaping what we’ve sown. time to invest in some good waterproofs I think.

kayak23

This was the view out of my shed over 5 working days the other week.

It’ll never stop raining. How does it know to rain most at the weekend too? 😞

nickc

yeah, something like the top ten rainiest Autumns on record for the country. Some times up to 170-200% the usual rainfall in some places

teethgrinder

**** shite. I’m going back to pro-am lager drinking.

brownsauce
    Free Member

its the lack of daylight hours i struggle with , i want to live somewhere in a permanent state of equinox.

MoreCashThanDash

Presumably at some point all the moisture on the planet will be on the ground in the Midlands, so there will be none left in the atmosphere to actually rain on me?

To be fair, we were pretty dry here until about the 20th September. I think it then rained every day for a month, and I don’t think it’s missed many in the month since then. Cold dry spell forecast at the end of the week though

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Unseasonably dry spell here in the the west of Scotland.

Did my windscreen with rainx yesterday, was dying for rain! 🙄😂

kentishman
    Free Member

Was there a study a few years ago that showed that the buildup of pollution in the week caused it to rain more at the weekend?

scaredypants

It’ll deffo stop raining at some point – make way for the sleet, innit

teethgrinder

I’m trying kalsarikänni

crazy-legs

I see that the Daily Express has once again predicted the coldest snowiest winter on record with blizzards and sub zero temperatures for 2 months.

Which means it’ll be mild and wet until about April.

jam-bo

I see that the Daily Express has once again predicted the coldest snowiest winter on record with blizzards and sub zero temperatures for 2 months.

Stopped clock is right twice a day…

teethgrinder

Stopped clock is right twice a day…

Unless it’s a digital rightwing **** clock.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes. When? I don’t know.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Damp riding home last night. Damp riding to work this morning. Marvellous.

globalti
    Free Member

We were in Callander last week and the River Teith was almost as low as in summer, gravel beds and stranded logs exposed. They’ve had a much drier than average Autumn and rivers like that are a good indicator since they drain huge lochs, which give a slow averaging effect.

pedlad

#pedant# isn’t the express left leaning?

But yes, chuffing fed up of the rain now. Even the gravelly wet proof paths have had mud and leaves sliding off the hills onto them.

P-Jay
    Free Member

#pedant# isn’t the express left leaning?

No, it’s the Mail’s shouty try-hard little Brother.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Seems like the Dundee area has been ridiculously wet the last few weeks. The fields around us are all absolutely saturated, as is our garden. I found this out to my cost yesterday, when I got a land rover stuck on my own lawn. ****…

According to Jam bo’s link October wasn’t *that* wet here though – be interesting to see what the stats are for November once available.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Was there a study a few years ago that showed that the buildup of pollution in the week caused it to rain more at the weekend?

Years ago San Francisco Bay area windsurfers moaned about how it was always windier on Monday when they went back to work. That was attributed to industrial pollution damaging thermal winds. By the end of the weekend the air was clearer so more wind on Monday but then the cycle started repeating.

faustus

It has been wetter than average this autumn (long term rolling average), varying across the country. But it also needs to be seen in context: which is that over the past few years it has generally been warmer and drier than average in most places, with a couple of dryer than average winters in a row.

It is pretty miserable for riding at the moment, i’ve not been off-road much in the past couple of months. I hope it stops soon, and for a reasonable period for drying out a bit. On the flip side, the environment here needed the rain, and river and groundwater levels are normal again after long periods of below average levels.

ta11pau1

The last 2 days it’s been that annoying light drizzle – not proper rain but enough moisture falling that you get soaked through without realising.

clubby

Lots of saturated ground here. Field behind house has had a perma-puddle for 2 months now.
    Overflow at local reservoir has been running for last few weeks. Didn’t see it run last year at all.

BillOddie

Apparently Leicestershire had 200% of it’s October Average this year.  Everything is sodden.

redmex
    Free Member

East coast is definitely wetter just now, blame it on the jetstream. Artisan milliners could make a noreaster or soweaster and flog at Christmas markets at inflated prices

senorj

Agree about the abnormal rain & wind.
    The rain has been freakish with monsoon like deluges and the wind used to be nailed on for south westerly most months.
    I took my slop bike out off-road in Herts at the weekend and it’s reached February levels of moisture already.☹️

mindmap3
    Free Member

Wetter than a wet thing in my village.

All of the fields are saturated and mostly puddles so dog walking is bloody grim at the moment.

I’ve not been out in the bike too much recently because it’s horrible. Sloppy, shitty grim slop. It’s really mild which seems to mean it just stays damp / wet. At least the cold firms it up.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Will it ever stop raining?’ is closed to new replies.