• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by cp.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Will iOS4 improve iphone 3G performance?
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ve avoided updating my iphone 3G to iOS4 so far as when it was first released it caused a load of issues but I’m starting to wonder whether updating it now would be a good idea. Is iOS4 now working ok on 3G phones and would it help with performance?

Any thoughts anyone?

organic355
    Free Member

I have a 3Gs and it is really slow running OS4, looks nice though 😉

matthew_h
    Free Member

Hmm, that doesn’t sound too good as my 28 month old 3G will be even slower. The chap in my o2 shop suggested that iOS4 would speed my phone up but I was a bit dubious.

slackin101
    Free Member

don’t do it. ios4 kills the 3g iphone. had to get rid of mine after i updated because it was so slow.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Thanks for the warning. I’ll leave it as it is then.

trail_rat
    Free Member

mrs tr updated hers – its horrendous

of course im comparing it to an iphone 4

sharkbait
    Free Member

Since putting IOS4 on my 3GS the gps is now pretty much useless, the wifi has poor range and the battery life has dropped.
    Other than that it’s great 😐

matthew_h
    Free Member

All seems pretty conclusive. Think I’ll wait until I upgrade in a month or two

FuzzyWuzzy

Mine hasn’t been running slower since but the battery life is much more random. Even with apps seemingly closed and bluetooth/Wifi disabled it can sometimes drain 20% per hour whereas other times it’s more like 5%. I used to have this issue very rarely with iOS 3 and a shutdown cured it but now it happens way more often and a shutdown/reboot doesn’t always fix it.

mboy
    Free Member

iOS4 pretty much knackers 3G iPhones

The processor in the newer iPhone 4 is about 2.5x faster than the processor in the 3G, and it has more RAM, so the iPhone 4 runs iOS4 absolutely fine as you might expect (and you do appreciate the added functionality with it too), but if you’re keeping your 3G iPhone then definitely keep it on iOS3 IMO.

craigxxl
    Free Member

My wifes 3g iphone was updated to IOS4 when it first came out and it crawled and then crashed a lot. It was a pain in the arse to revert back to 3.1 and all was good up until a couple of weeks when it had become unusable due the slowness. I tried a restore but itunes wouldn’t allow me to pick my operating system version like it had before so had to download the latest version. So far so good, it’s faster, no crashes, extra features that 3.1 didn’t have and apps that she couldn’t have without the latest version.

allthegear
    Free Member

The early versions of iOS 4 were very slow on Phone 3G – I remember, I used to have one. A lot of work was done and the most recent versions are much, much better – probably faster than iOS 3.

Don’t expect miracles, though. The iPhone 3G is old technology and it will never compare with an iPhone 4 for speed. Things move on – an iPhone 4 is actually a little bit quicker than the top Cray supercomputer from 1984…

Rachel

iamtheresurrection

slackin101 – Member
    don’t do it. ios4 kills the 3g iphone. had to get rid of mine after i updated because it was so slow

+1. I couldn’t believe Apple allowed the 3G to take the software. Absolutely unusable in my experience.

CountZero

+1. I couldn’t believe Apple allowed the 3G to take the software. Absolutely unusable in my experience.

Possibly because people started whining and snivelling about how their 3G handsets had been rendered obsolete. (And I read RSS newsfeeds with posters complaining about exactly that). My old 3G does seem slow with iOS4 on, but I’m using an iPhone 4, so it’s really slow by default anyway. You have to remember it’s two generations old, has a very slow processor and bugger-all RAM. Just as an aside, name me another mobile phone where the owners expect regular OS upgrades every year. I can’t think of one, other than certain WinMob and Palm PDA’s, but they weren’t really smartphones as such,

craigxxl
    Free Member

Regardless of the customer expecting an OS update every year or not the wife had bought hers and within 2 years the update had made it useless. The update should never have been applied to the 3G. No one would accept this kind of service from another premium priced product yet Apple seem to get away with time and time again.
    When you asked Apple support they weren’t interested and blamed other apps for the crash so you removed all apps but the standard and restore again and it would still crash yet they weren’t interested. On Apples forum they would remove threads complaining or warning people about OS4. This attitude to their customers ensured I would never buy their products again

cp

os4.0.0 was crap, utter tosh. but then the most recent version which will install on the 3g (4.2.1) has been working very well for me. What I have noticed is that it benefits from a hard reset every 2-4 weeks, or if there has been a troublesome crashy app, then a hard reset helps (by which I mean holding down home and the power button until the apple logo appears).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Will iOS4 improve iphone 3G performance?’ is closed to new replies.